PDA

View Full Version : More emergency landings for Ryanair

paparomeodelta
17th Sep 2012, 09:16
Apart from the hysterical tone of voice and some misleading conclusions in this tabloid article, does anyone know anything about these recent mishaps? (Another link to a spanish online media far below)

Ryanair nödlandade (http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article15450717.ab)

Google translation:

Earlier this week, told Aftonbladet that five Ryanair Plan in a short time had to make an emergency landing due to fuel shortages.
Today it was time again, when a plane was en route from Tenerife to Paris was forced to land - in Madrid.
In the pursuit of dollars and cents, Ryanair has put in systems to fly with as little fuel as possible in mind.
This has led to five planes in a short time had to make an emergency landing, then the fuel simply been about to run out.
"Technical problems"
This afternoon it was time again.
Shortly after 14 o'clock departed Ryanair plane en route from Tenerife to Paris from its planned flight route, and just before 15 o'clock plane crashed on Barajaflygplatsen in Madrid.
According Europapress.es Ryanair has said that technical problems are behind, and that the emergency landing was completed without any problems.
According to the same news site another Ryanair plane made an emergency landing on the way from Bristol to Tarragona in Barcelona yesterday. Then the airline admitted to the emergency landing due to fuel shortage.

Another link:
Un avión de Ryanair que hacía la ruta París-Tenerife Sur tiene que aterrizar en Barajas por problemas técnicos (http://www.europapress.es/islas-canarias/noticia-avion-ryanair-ruta-paris-tenerife-sur-tiene-aterrizar-barajas-problemas-tecnicos-20120916165347.html)

JuanJose16
17th Sep 2012, 09:21
The problem on the Paris-Tenerife flight was reported on TV here yesterday.

Cue media scrum at the arrivals hall at TFS. Passengers interviewed didn't appear to be particularly freaked out, if you get me.

BOAC
17th Sep 2012, 09:34
Apart from the hysterical tone of voice and some misleading conclusions in this tabloid article - you've got it. A landing in MAD en-route TFS-Paris due to 'fuel' would NOT be an 'emergency' landing UNLESS the a/c had developed a fuel leak. It would be called a 'Tech Stop'. I suggest we ignore the article.

kick the tires
17th Sep 2012, 09:45
why would an -800 need to tech stop on a relatively short sector of TFS-CDG?

ARNSpoty
17th Sep 2012, 09:45
could you please stop posting these articles from that "news-dry" website of aftonbladet, they have no idea what they're really writing about.

cheers:ok:

BBK
17th Sep 2012, 09:56
I ask this out of genuine curiosity but did RYR have an "incident" going into, or perhaps diverting into, Barcelona recently.

I understand there was something on the local TV news.

LEMG
17th Sep 2012, 09:58
Un avión de Ryanair que iba a Reus aterriza en El Prat por una fuga de fuel | Cataluña | EL PAÍS (http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/09/15/catalunya/1347737552_865091.html)

Ryanair achaca a un 'pequeño' fallo tecnico el desvio de otro de sus aviones a Madrid | Economia | elmundo.es (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/09/16/economia/1347803332.html)

May I post these articles from spanish newspapers or do you think they have no idea either?

ARNSpoty
17th Sep 2012, 10:21
i can't read spanish, but that specific news network from sweden literally get's their news headlines from forums etc...:}

BOAC
17th Sep 2012, 11:03
I ask this out of genuine curiosity but did RYR have an "incident" going into, or perhaps diverting into, Barcelona recently. - post #1?

fireflybob
17th Sep 2012, 11:14
Good grief! Wouldn't people be more worried if aircraft didn't land safely somewhere?

BBK
17th Sep 2012, 11:38
LEMG

Gracias!

BOAC

Fair comment, I should have RTF post.

Fireflybob

My question was borne out of genuine interest and not part of a general RYR bashing campaign. There is, as I'm sure you will be aware of, a spat going on between the Spanish authorities and RYR over a range of issues. The latter will, I have no doubt, have been very quick to "brief" the media.

fireflybob
17th Sep 2012, 11:45
BBK, the Spanish have decided they don't like Ryanair methinks.

Once you've decided you don't like someone it's almost a given than one is going to make life difficult for them!

Problem is RYR style makes no friends who you need when the chips are down.

racedo
17th Sep 2012, 11:52
My question was borne out of genuine interest and not part of a general RYR bashing campaign. There is, as I'm sure you will be aware of, a spat going on between the Spanish authorities and RYR over a range of issues. The latter will, I have no doubt, have been very quick to "brief" the media.

Think you mean the former who have been briefing including threatening to shut Ryanair down in Spain and having their National Organisations including AESA lie in public (Director and Legal Director facing criminal charges for a previous fabrication).

captplaystation
17th Sep 2012, 12:23
In my years based in Girona I have (at times) seen KLM /Air France /Iberia etc etc diverting in due lack of holding fuel (usually due CB activity @ BCN) did it make the press in Spain ? nope, of course not.
Nobody felt able to post the recent FR memo Re extra fuel, but it does seem that Ryanair reacted in its usual psycopathic -child fashion to the recent hubris over the MAD diversions by . . . . . what else but issuing another "friendly reminder" emphasising when & when not they would "like" :rolleyes: extra fuel to be carried. Of course they also emphasised it is the Commanders final decision. . . but, how many time do you want to waste your free time enjoying tea & biscuits with the Base Capt (particularly as you have to bring your own biscuits. . . and tea bag I would imagine)
Sounds like they are already reaping the rewards of their "friendly advice" & well done the Crews for handing the evidence to them on a plate :ok:

Company policy has always been "min fuel & if it results in a few diversions ? so be it" . . . all part of the far reaching "customer care" they offer :D
Sure it puts extra pressure (particularly time pressure) on their Commanders, but at the end of the day you have two choices, take what they want & be prepared to divert at the 1st hint of trouble, or take what you want & grow a pair to defend your Command authority. Neither ideal, unsafe ? well not per se, but when you insist on operating with minimum margins as a matter of course it is difficult to argue it any other way in the longer term. Of course operating to limits, whether they be in terms of social contributions/crew experience/ staffing levels etc has been & will always be modus operandi there.
As long as they cost half what Vueling cost to fly BCN-AGP, & I can still recognise a few seasoned & sensible faces amongst the crew , I will continue to use them. From what ex colleagues told me about some of Vuelings operating practices I would imagine FR are the much safer option (at least they are not afraid to declare an emergency when legally mandated, I suspect the Yellow/Grey mob just continue to an "uneventful landing" or slip a quick request to ATC. . . in Spanish sure. .to jump the Q. )
Any airline operating in Europe will have fuel related diversions, that is the inevitable consequence of all companies . . including legacy carriers. . . fuel policies.

This current Spanish focus on Ryanairs share is just political scaremongering by a morally & financially bankrupt regime that in the past was so happy to dole out public money to them. . . . . spurned lovers tend to be the most spiteful :hmm:

transilvana
17th Sep 2012, 12:56
RYR is a long issue and they are on the news everyday, probably in Spain they received many aids to maintain certain routes but now it´s time to save money and if that means saying good bye RYR well, that would be it.

About the last news, the landing in Barcelona has two versions:
1.- aircraft diverted to Barcelona because an engine failure
2.- aircraft diverted to Barcelona due to a fuel leak.

The one in Madrid was a tech problem which was fixed, nothing to talk about

RYR has always used the media for it´s campaigns, now that they receive negative feedbacks they attack them. Well, when you play with fire you get burnt.

fireflybob
17th Sep 2012, 13:22
I think there needs to be a sense of perspective over this issue.

In many respects Ryanair is no different to any other airline. They all want Commanders to take minimum legal fuel whenever possible and subject to weather and route etc this is a perfectly reasonable request.

The issue is whether their Commanders feel they are subject to any undue pressure when electing to carry more fuel than legally required.

In law of course only the Commander has the absolute right to decide on the fuel required for a flight.

With respect to mechanical malfunctions, once again these can happen to any airline - given the large number of movements which Ryanair conduct on a daily basis, you wouldn't be surprised at a few landings enroute etc due to a technical problem.

fustall
18th Sep 2012, 21:31
As a side note Ryan Air 737 had a birdstrike out of Stanstead on Sunday early evening.Burnt tons of fuel off over Barkway!:uhoh::rolleyes::)

BOAC
19th Sep 2012, 13:14
As a side note, does anyone know the price of tea in China?

fustall
21st Sep 2012, 08:16
Cheaper than British Airways paid for Dan-Air:rolleyes::ooh:

BOAC
21st Sep 2012, 12:26
Hmm. I suspect you actually have no idea what that cost - redundancies, leasing cancellations, pension funding to mention a few. I suspect tea is just a little cheaper.:ugh:

fustall
21st Sep 2012, 19:23
A £1 springs to mind:ok:read about it years ago.
And now in a roundabout way British Midland has been swallowed up by the BA stards!!:hmm::(