PDA

View Full Version : Compass Tests

SADDLER
17th Sep 2012, 08:13
Im an experienced pilot having an interview this week.I have been told to expect a compass test.How can I prepare for this?Are there any sample tests I can obtain? Thanks.

Tsym
17th Sep 2012, 12:05
The compass tests are a series of 8 individual (and quite different) tests which are timed. They are conducted on a computer, with a joystick, rudder pedals, keyboard and mouse. Each individual test has a time limit of approx 20 mins, so be prepared to spend a couple of hours under test.

I am not aware if negative marking is used, however I believe skipping a question may be more favourable than taking a punt.

From what I understand, there is a pass mark on each individual test. You are not told at any point how well or badly you are doing. I believe you need to pass 6 out of the 8 tests in order to achieve an overall pass. You will not make it through the selection day if you do not achieve an overall pass.

Whilst I have sat the compass tests and did rather well, others struggled. If you are good at pilapt testing and find it enjoyable, there will be no reason to worry over the compass tests. Relax, find a rhythm and try enjoy it - just keep an eye on the onscreen timer as some tests are very difficult to complete within the allotted time.

Expect multiple choice ATPL questions (the usual Ace book doesn't overly help - use common sense and your previous flying experience should be more than sufficient to get you through!).

Expect a mathematics sections (not multiple choice - work out the answer and input into an empty box!).

Other tests you can expect are situational awareness, memory, reaction and verbal reasoning. There are a couple others, but my memory fails me... :ugh:

Whilst the testing is in-depth, it's thoroughly enjoyable, and if you are being interviewed with the airline i believe you are then the very best of luck! Said company are a great team to be part of, and I can only speak highly of my current experiences with them.

Best of luck!