PDA

View Full Version : Light plane makes emergency landing near Moorabbin Airport

AZNA
17th Sep 2012, 05:44
http://www.news.com.au/news/light-plane-makes-emergency-landing-near-moorabbin-airport/story-fnehlez2-1226475857611

Hmmmm. That link seems broken?

Try THIS (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/light-plane-makes-emergency-landing-near-moorabbin-airport/story-e6frf7kx-1226475736379) link.

Tail Wheel

Tankengine
17th Sep 2012, 06:41
Anyone have an idea how the ailerons were removed?:confused:

Bonniciwah
17th Sep 2012, 07:04
Channel 9 News says "calls over safety of Moorabbin Airport after crash". Well, today showed it's pretty bloody safe.
I wonder how many of the NIMBYs wanting to make hay out of this bothered to ask about the pilot's welfare?

flying-spike
17th Sep 2012, 07:10
He probably survived the crash but suffocated in the foam

TOUCH-AND-GO
17th Sep 2012, 07:32
He probably survived the crash but suffocated in the foam
That's not very nice spikey.! :E

I'm still confused on details, one report said he skidded of the runway, resulting in an overshoot into a paddock. While the other report mentions he became airborne, declared an
Emergency landing and then skidded off the runway into a paddock..so which is it? :}

Horatio Leafblower
17th Sep 2012, 07:42
I have heard a rumour something slightly similar happened at Jindabyne in one of Schoey's Archers yesterday?

VH-XXX
17th Sep 2012, 08:02
Anyone have an idea how the ailerons were removed?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

That's an easy answer.

They tore off!

They are held on by a series of timber hangars and they would have easily sheered off under the impact.

If I'm not mistaken that aircraft used to be blue and was owned by Brian Naylor or his son.

Who said Rotax 912's never stop??????

It was an 80HP 912 so in theory should have kept chugging along for a very long time without issue so interested to hear that it was "spluttering."

expressinginterest
17th Sep 2012, 08:13
Close down the airport quickly, just close it down NOW!!!!!!

...I wonder how quickly the flak guns from the society of 'We Were Here Second' residents will start using this as ammo...

outbacktourer
17th Sep 2012, 09:03
Where is the report of spluttering? I think he suffered an engine failure after take off and put it down in the field. Was at MB all day, it make sense as to where it happened.

Not sure if he went in hard on the nose or not though looks like it but who knows might have been soft grass, wx was light maybe 4kts straight down 17 glad to know the pilot was safe. Interested if it was his first solo or not.. Hope to hear more soon.

VH-XXX
17th Sep 2012, 09:28
Here is your reference to SPLUTTERING.

Pilot forced to land after engine splutters near Moorabbin Airport (http://m.smh.com.au/victoria/pilot-forced-to-land-after-engine-splutters-20120917-261hy.html)

PS: Fuel was leaking out the top of the tank after the incident so it likely didn't run out. There is no fuel tap on each tank on the Gazelle so it's not fuel mis-management / handling either.

Like I said the 912 80 hp's are near-on bullet proof so it will be interesting to hear what happened. At a remote guess, a valve or lifter misbehaving. Probably won't find out for a year!

From TheAge.com.au

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/09/17/3641378/plane_wide-620x349.jpg

jas24zzk
17th Sep 2012, 09:58
Well,
if he came through that brown rough stuff to the right of picture, it was probably a nice landing.

kalavo
17th Sep 2012, 11:34
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one...

As always people will speculate until the cows come home as to why the Austrian hand grenade stopped spinning. But a student pilot's done exactly what they've been trained to do and put it down safely - finding a paddock in a built up area (getting harder and harder these days) and managed to walk away from it. Genuine congratulations and hope the experience doesn't scare them away from aviation. :ok:

baswell
17th Sep 2012, 23:54
Who said Rotax 912's never stop??????
So many reasons engines can stop, no broken through bolts or crank shafts required!

A 912UL here at Gawler stopped a while back because after maintenance, the cross connector thingy bit that connects fuel feed, distribution to carbies and return was installed 90 degrees wrong.

Test run fine, run-up fine, choked at rotation.

VH-XXX
18th Sep 2012, 01:20
I had a choke at rotation once upon a time and it's not a great feeling. Happened when a fuel hose was fitted to the firewall thru-fitting. Pushing it on the firewall fitting sliced the inner hose and restricted fuel flow at max power setting. Went to take off, rotated and she abruptly almost died, however started to recover at low rpm. Managed to land straight ahead on the remaining runway. Had I been a little higher, I would have had to try and manipulate the little fuel I had versus RPM to get home again.

Horatio Leafblower
18th Sep 2012, 07:49
Long time ago for me now but I seem to recall there being a SCAT hose somewhere in the induction system on the Guzzle - on one occasion at full throttle the old hose collapsed and choked the engine. :uhoh:

the Austrian hand grenade

Love it :D

VH-XXX
18th Sep 2012, 10:14
Yep, the original factory supplied scat hoses used to collapse on full throttle and result in a power failure, but when the cowls are taken off, all looks fine :ok: (until the next time)

My mate bought the Skyfox that caused the scat hose AD, it had around 2,000 hours airframe, owned by a syndicate of 12 (yes twelve!). Took off out of Redcliffe, lost power and ended up flipping on the landing. Was later repaired and is now operating out of Gippsland under RA rego.