PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold

Bottomlesspit
16th Sep 2012, 21:16
Hi,

Is it worth visiting, do they have a somewhere for lunch? Might I find a load of silly old men driving crap cars on the runway?

If arriving from the North West is it quite easy negotiating the Farnborough/London CTR mess?

Sir George Cayley
16th Sep 2012, 21:36
Hang on, Hang on a minute, young whipper snapper.

Less of the old :ooh:

SGC

RedhillPhil
16th Sep 2012, 21:39
...and less of the crap cars too.

Talkdownman
16th Sep 2012, 21:59
...and less of the 'London CTR mess' too...

GeeWhizz
16th Sep 2012, 23:58
PPRuNe needs a 'Like' button! :D

chevvron
17th Sep 2012, 01:27
Dunsfold does have a restaurant but it only opens for a limited period on weekdays (closes about 1430 I think).
They used to only accept visitors if you had business there, but from personal observations (I worked there providing A/G Radio for a short time earlier this year) they're a bit more 'flexible' now. Having said that it might help you getting PPR granted if you book a re-fuel there.
PPR is essential as the airfield is unlicenced and the runway is often hired out for non-aviation use such as development work on the MacLaren MP4 road car and all aircraft movements have to be inserted in the daily 'plan' so that everyone knows when the runway is required, and once you book PPR you MUST arrive at the time you book. I believe some cretin occasionally makes a TV programme about crap cars there too but thankfully I've never crossed swords with him.
Having said all that there is a grass strip available north of the hard runway but I don't know what the surface is like; I would guess it's between 600 and 800 metres long.
Arriving from the NW is perfectly straightforward providing you try to avoid Lasham as they can get rather busy with gliders and their launch cables go up to 3,700 ft amsl., otherwise it's quite easy talking to Farnborough on the way in.