PDA

View Full Version : Bell 407 Paravion folding blade kit

olymbec
16th Sep 2012, 07:12
Looking to buy the Paravion folding blade kit on my latest acquisition a Bell 407. Has anyone worked with this kit ? Any comments pro or con with respect to the operation, ease of use, time it takes to set up and fold up. My hangar will be giving me a hard time to store a 4 blade system and once the blades re folded the total foot print is pretty much the same as an L4.
Saying that the hangar fees will less than half compared to keeping the 4 blade system in its open configuration.
Also besides the Paravion system is there another company I should look at as well?

Any insight or comments would be appreciated.

vaqueroaero
16th Sep 2012, 11:46
A guy I fly with has it on his 407. It is as easy to use as they say it is. Enjoy your new toy!

Jetexec
16th Sep 2012, 12:52
I recently bought a 407 as well and it appears that this ship had a blade folding kit on it as well, at least the brackets are on the T/B. They do not appear to be the same brackets as the ones on the Paravion kit judging by their web site. I had sent a photo in to my Bell tech rep to see what these brackets were for, and they came back with the answer that they were for a folding kit.....maybe a factory install? Anyhow, I ended up adding on to my hanger for more space anyways, so I just installed a 32' bifold door. I suppose when traveling, the kit may come in handy, but for 99% of the time, I've got it at the house. If you email me at [email protected], I can send you some pics of the brackets I have. Cheers, Matt

rotorrookie
16th Sep 2012, 13:12
Jetexec, I would to see the photos,
Is the Paravion kit EASA approved? and does it require a mechanic to do the work or sign the work every time?

Jetexec
16th Sep 2012, 22:35
Here's a couple shots, same brackets both side of the tail boom at the attachment point. From what I've researched, the Paravion brackets are somewhere by the horizontal stab........OK, several attempts to load the photos, anyone help me out here, or send me an email, and I can send the photos.

olymbec
17th Sep 2012, 02:48
thanks Vaqueroaero for the information. Will continue to pursue this kit. Looking forward to flying the new toy soon.

Peter3127
18th Sep 2012, 00:29
.... what if you drop one of the pins from the head while fitting? Is it the case that it would need inspection? Replacement? :(

It is cycling at about 24,000 cycles an hour, so assuming there is no visible damage to the pin (scratches etc.) you would be good for a few hors for inspection?

I await the collective wisdom of the tribe .....

krypton_john
18th Sep 2012, 01:29
Bell 407 Blade Fold Kit Demonstration Video - YouTube

EN48
18th Sep 2012, 02:22
Any comments pro or con with respect to the operation, ease of use, time it
takes to set up and fold up

My very experienced shop strongly recommened against using a folding blade kit on the B407 unless absolutely necessary. They say that frequent folding/unfolding of the blades can throw T&B off. Its not the kit itself, its the use of the kit thats the problem. OTOH, they do recommend purchasing the expandable blade bolts (which enable folding) on a new helicopter as these are much less expensive as an option on a newly manufactured helo than if installing in the field and may make the acft more appealing to a subsequent buyer who needs to fold the blades.

bladegrip
18th Sep 2012, 03:09
The kit works well. Depending where you live and what regulations you are operating under, unfolding the blades to make ready for flight is not a task that can be performed by a pilot. Be sure to check with the relevant regulatory body, if you're planning on aircrew performing this task. Otherwise, enjoy!

olymbec
18th Sep 2012, 07:07
Expandable bolts 407.Part number is 406-310-103-103

When purchasing with a new machine the cost of each bolt is $500

When buying after market list price is $3696.00 each.

Welcome to the world of spare parts!!!!

THERE IS NO RIME OR REASON FOR THIS...