PDA

View Full Version : So, How did you spend your Battle of Britain day?

Shannon volmet
15th Sep 2012, 20:17
I spent most of today reading AVM J.E. 'Johnnie' Johnson's book 'Full Circle'. A fantastic read.The weather has been kind, and I'm now sitting here with a glass of a nice red wine, listening to the radio, and hearing 'Rule Britannia' sung by Della Jones.

Fantastic! What more could you ask?

God Bless The R.A.F.

Mike.

D John
15th Sep 2012, 20:27
I looked at some of my 1940s RAF/RAAF things and wondered if anyone else remembered.......

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/milorgman/Flight/WW2Spitfireitems-1.jpg

(clock and ASI both dated 1940)

cheers,

-John:ok:

Ant T
15th Sep 2012, 20:33
I watched the Spitfire and the Hurricane doing a great display at Leuchars :):):)

The commentator on the PA mentioned that one of the spectators at the show was born on 15 Sept 1940 - very appropriate..........

TAC Queen
15th Sep 2012, 21:10
I spent mine waiting to land at Camp Bastion as it was under attack.
The Battle of Britain is an incredibly important occasion but lets not forget we are a Force fully engaged on operations and have been for the longest sustained period in our proud history.

Per ardua ad astra

ralphmalph
15th Sep 2012, 21:25
TAC Queen,

True, but 75% of the guys on here would be more interested in the BoB.

TAC Queen
15th Sep 2012, 21:45
Roger, understood,
For all those in TH, keep your heads down stay safe.

500N
15th Sep 2012, 21:52
Watched a few videos on Youtube of the BoB pilots.

TAC Queen
You stay safe as well.

I thought you post appropriate, you were currently flying, trying to land
at an airfield under attack on BoB day. Probably reminiscent of what
occurred all those years ago.

November4
15th Sep 2012, 22:08
With my parents as it's their wedding anniversary.

Father said he would never be able to forget an anniversary given the date.

Blacksheep
15th Sep 2012, 22:31
Can anybody else think of anything significant about today? Apart from the exposure of a Royal Duchess's nipples to public gaze, that is. . .

Kluseau
15th Sep 2012, 22:34
Among 40,000 people (including Ant T, apparently) on a beautifully sunny, if windy (have you ever seen an SE5a hover?), day at the Leuchars Airshow, at what I think is the last surviving Battle of Britain At Home Airshow still in being. Though not for much longer, if at all: at the media day yesterday the inevitable question was asked about the prospects for an airshow at Leuchars next year. The answer was that planning was under way, but no decision had yet been taken to actually hold an airshow at Leuchars in 2013. Roughly the same answer was given to roughly the same question about 2012 at last year's airshow, but if I were the betting type, I'd not be betting against today's even being the last.

4PON4PIN
15th Sep 2012, 22:40
Quiet day reminiscing and thinking how proud I felt to have my folks witness me receiving my Commission 45 years ago today at South Cerney! Quirky that I've been meeting up with chums from the past these past 8 days or so.:hmm::hmm:

Milo Minderbinder
15th Sep 2012, 22:42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_15

sycamore
15th Sep 2012, 22:45
Yes, joined up on this day in `59....

and spent this afternoon stuntin` and buntin`......

Willard Whyte
15th Sep 2012, 22:56
Menachem Begin resigned?

Chugalug2
15th Sep 2012, 23:20
Spent the day thinking about how it might be remembered in future. We've been having a discussion about Dowding here:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/495118-hugh-dowding-tribute-40th-anniversary.html
and how he and Park should be celebrated as the architect and executor of the RAF's side of the Battle of Britain. Yes, I know that other commanders were involved, but it was upon those two key men that success depended. I feel that we should celebrate them more, and by we I mean the nation, as well as the RAF.
The inscription of Dowding's statue (at St Clement Danes) says it all:

"Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding was commander-in-chief of Fighter Command, Royal Air Force, from its formation in 1936 until November 1940. He was thus responsible for the preparation for and the conduct of the Battle of Britain. With remarkable foresight, he ensured the equipment of his command with monoplane fighters, the Hurricane and the Spitfire. He was among the first to appreciate the vital importance of R.D.F. (radar) and an effective command and control system for his squadrons. They were ready when war came. In the preliminary stages of that war, he thoroughly trained his minimal forces and conserved them against strong political pressure to disperse and misuse them. His wise and prudent judgement and leadership helped to ensure victory against overwhelming odds and thus prevented the loss of the Battle of Britain and probably the whole war. To him, the people of Britain and of the Free World owe largely the way of life and the liberties they enjoy today."

He planned the battle years in advance, and to a great extent it was Park who saw it carried out accordingly. Between them they ensured our deliverance from the threat of enslavement that the countries of Europe were now under. I still think that it would be very appropriate if they shared the empty fourth (equestrian) plinth in Trafalgar Square which already celebrates an earlier deliverance from subjugation. Others may of course differ...

Shannon volmet
15th Sep 2012, 23:29
Sir, you have my deepest respects, and I'm glad you got there ok. I wish you all including my other mates out there the best, and a safe return.

Mike.

Roadster280
16th Sep 2012, 00:35
It's Prince Harry's birthday isn't it?

onetrack
16th Sep 2012, 00:56
Battle of Britain 72nd anniversary - the turning point of WW2. Not that many know or care about it any more - because most peoples attention is turned to the insulting of some minor prophet - which obviously warrants WW3 against the West, by the perpetually angry and insulted. :(

Roadster280
16th Sep 2012, 01:46
I think the idea of the thread was not to mention BoB...

onetrack
16th Sep 2012, 01:52
Sorry, I didn't see the BoB thread until after I'd posted here.

Blacksheep - are you referring to the 1st anniversary of the "Occupy Wall St" movement?

GreenKnight121
16th Sep 2012, 02:02
1942 – World War II: U. S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Wasp is torpedoed at Guadalcanal[/URL].

1968 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalcanal) – The Soviet spaceship Zond 5 is launched, becoming the first spacecraft to fly around the Moon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet) and re-enter the Earth[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth"]'s atmosphere.

The Stimulator
16th Sep 2012, 03:33
My dad, who lied about his age to join up as a wireless operator/gunner in WW2, was born 15th Sep 1924.

Happy birthday Dad

Barksdale Boy
16th Sep 2012, 05:36
Remembering church parade at Cirencester in 1965, having been in not quite a fortnight.

AGS Man
16th Sep 2012, 05:47
At work near the end of a busy runway enjoying the jet noise of F15s and Typhoons. Concur with all that was said about Dowding. Pity we havn't got him today!

AGS Man
16th Sep 2012, 05:52
1916 The Battle of the Somme. First time Tanks were used in combat

BEagle
16th Sep 2012, 07:08
From the Oxford Mail:

15 Sep 1830: At the official opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, Britain's first railway fatality occurred when MP William Huskisson stepped from a train to shake hands with the Duke of Wellington - and was run over.

15 Sep 1890: Agatha Christie was born in Torquay.

15 Sep 1916: British Army tanks went into battle for the first time.

15 Sep 1935: Hitler issued new decrees relegating Jews to sub-human status and made the swastika the official German flag.

15 Sep 1974: Civil war broke out in Beirut between Christians and Muslims.

Also the birthdays of Prince Harry, Oliver Stone and Tommy Lee Jones.

15 Sep 1969: BEagle was commissioned as an Acting Pilot Officer.

15 Sep 1978: Flew from Goose to Offutt for a 10-day Ranger - the jet broke!

BEagle
16th Sep 2012, 07:14
Cut the grass, had a bath, before watching 'Battle of Britain' on DVD with the volume turned up, whilst quaffing a pint of Pimms!

Then had a Weber session later.

Lima Juliet
16th Sep 2012, 07:33
Sat in a Mk IX Spit and got sh!tfaced at the BoB Dining In Night...:ok:

LJ

Fareastdriver
16th Sep 2012, 07:51
I will again say that it was a brilliant day at Leuchers. Organisation was outstanding right down to the ATC cadets selling programmes and then litter picking. Full marks for a decibel orientated flying display and one must mention the unlimited patience of the Air National Guard answering questions about their B52 and the endless queues waiting to look inside their KC-10 and C-135.

In the sixties I once flew four displays at four different airfields and this was just a handful of those that were open to the public. Now it is down to one; and maybe not that anymore.

Tea White Zero
16th Sep 2012, 08:51
It's my son's birthday! easy to remember.

so in between all the screaming shouting and crying ( me not the houseful of 4 year olds) and the playing with piles of new plastic land-fill. We got out hid Spitfire toy talked about the battle then used it to shoot down a Star Wars Jedi Transport and a Lego boat!!!!

MG
16th Sep 2012, 09:09
Spent the day at the Royal Berkshire Show. Lovely weather and a very nice PR Spitfire display around 3pm. Not sure who owns it (slightly uncommon roundels on PR blue) but a good display nonetheless.

hval
16th Sep 2012, 09:23
Morning chaps,

The R.A.F. Leuchars Airshow 2012 was excellent. All involved in the planning and implementation deserve much praise.

It was my first visit to R.A.F. Leuchars since the late 80's. I do hope the Army look after it. By the by, there is a rumour, and just a rumour, that there may be at least one more airshow at Leuchars.

Very much enjoyed the ceremony for No.1 (F) Sqn being "Stood Up" (that should annoy a few people).

Was very pleased Sentinel was there and to be able to chat with some of the Sentinel aircrew. Nice to see the VC10. I have many fond memories of being a passenger in VC. 10's and for some reason I am saddened with its passing.

The ground attack by the GR4s nearly had me diving for the ground. Those "bangs" were nice and loud.

Seeing the SE5 hover was excellent - who says we need Harrier?

I was grateful to see so many charities represented, even though it saddens me that the Services need to depend so much on charities, rather than the government honouring its' obligations.

The Battle of Britain link was mentioned throughout the day.

Thank you all involved for such a wonderful airshow.

16th Sep 2012, 10:04
Took Mrs 60024 for some puddlejumping around WWII Norfolk in a Firefly, whilst keeping an eye out for the Hun in the sun.......

Navaleye
16th Sep 2012, 10:12
Stop that Polish chatter and steer 340!

Rumsfeld
16th Sep 2012, 11:57
Watched a German aircraft do a fly past over a historic Officers Mess's, location of where the only pilot to win a VC in Fighter Command during BoB was based !

Shannon volmet
16th Sep 2012, 13:30
Stop that Polish chatter and steer 340!

"Repeat Please"

Samuel
16th Sep 2012, 15:16
There were services held in Wellington and Auckland, and this chap did a flypast in Wellington. Al Deere's Spitfire.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/Shadblat/SPitfb.jpg

CoffmanStarter
16th Sep 2012, 16:25
Sam ...

How spooky ... seeing Sam Hall on a photo of a Spitfire. I knew a BoB Spit pilot PO R.M.D. Hall DFC who was affectionately know as Sam Hall. Sadly he died some years back.

Thought you might be interested ...

PO Sam Hall (http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/html/p_o_r_m_d_hall_d_f_c.html)

Best regards ...

Coff.

Chugalug2
16th Sep 2012, 17:15
Spookier still:
Sam Hall (http://www.contemplator.com/england/samhall.html)

johnnypaveway
16th Sep 2012, 17:31
I had a fantastic evening at Bentley Priory with the finest gentlemen it has been my honour to dine with (dear god they can drink). A night at the RAF Club and then a day at Westminster Abbey. Per Ardua ad Astra

endplay
16th Sep 2012, 17:55
My wife and I spent ours at Bawdsey Manor (nee Raf Bawdsey) the home of the birthplace of RADAR. We had a wonderful 3 course lunch in the Manor in the company of the members of the Bawdsey Reunion Assosiation and visited the on site RADAR museum, housed in the old transmitter block in which the original Chain Home Low RADAR was developed.
The current owners of the Manor gave us a guided tour of the magnificent building, now an International school, and it's equally impressive gardens.
The lunch is an annual event that I would recommend to anyone who has a link with this historic site.

FODPlod
16th Sep 2012, 17:57
Attended the annual BofB CTP at Thorney Island Sailing Club (formerly associated with RAFSA but now ASA) where hosts and guests assembled in front of the clubhouse to be treated to one of the most impressive displays I've ever seen performed by a lone Spitfire. At least half a dozen passes up and down the creek with rolls, climbs and turns, finishing off with the traditional 'surprise' low level beat-up from behind us.

Many thanks to all concerned, especially the magnificent man in his flying machine.

Samuel
16th Sep 2012, 18:04
Sam is actually my son...!

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sam%2C%20sam%20pick%20up%20thy%20musket&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRvLwx1fRne8&ei=MxRWUOyTN9SbiQfMjYDABg&usg=AFQjCNE8Thsk5mIMaRgveb-R-1oiJ0ZuIg

Rigga
16th Sep 2012, 20:21
Spent the whole day pruning some of my trees and was nicely reminded by a lone Spit going North from Norwich

And today I was doing much the same when (at 18:27) it was the Dak...

A big thank you to BBMF for putting me on their flight path's.

Rigga

PeterHai
16th Sep 2012, 20:51
Having spent most BofB Days over the last 37 years on parade, I thought I might get a day off this year but ended up working as a Verger at a Church Service, so watched the RAF contingent take part from "the other side".
For all those on Ops - stay safe and come home soon.

Navaleye
16th Sep 2012, 20:52
Shut up!. In Polish

racedo
16th Sep 2012, 21:26
I was in Ypres, in St Martins Cathedral they was a memorial to a number of pilots with their photos on the Altar with wreaths laid.

First photo was a Spitfire over White cliffs and then
Pilot Officer Maurice Buchin
Pilot Officer Jacques Philippart
Pilot Officer Georges Doutrepont
Sergeant Roger de Cannart D'Hamale
Pilot Officer James Kirkpatrick
Pilot Officer Alexis Jottard
Pilot Officer Albert Van Den Hove D'Ertsenryck

Yesterday was at a Lijssenthoek Cemetry when had a flyover by 2 Belgian F16s and after visiting another couple of CWG sites including Essex farm we ended at Langemark, just as a tribute to Werner Voss had finished with lots of uniforms and medals on displays from a number of AFs.
There had been another commemoration earlier in the day to I believe a French ace whose body was never found............ I don't remember the name.

While we were at Eurotunnel on Saturday morning there was a Spitfire flypast with 2 Helicopters flying around it heading towards London.

Menin Gate was of course visited last night and Tyne Cot today along with Hill 62 and a number of other sites.

Hueymeister
16th Sep 2012, 21:53
Bat-faced at Brizefest! No spitfire flypast this year, sadly:}:sad:

NutLoose
16th Sep 2012, 22:00
I spent mine and I still do not believe I am saying this, preparing for my mothers funeral this Tuesday :(

Navaleye
16th Sep 2012, 22:49
NutLoose,

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother's last flight. My mother is 86 and iI cherish every day. My thoughts are with you on Tuesday.

Respectfully yours,

Navaleye

PPRuNe Pop
17th Sep 2012, 07:02
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/Islander501/5a88d9be.jpg

I have now reached the high side of my years but cannot forget, nor will I ever forget, that a 'FEW' of those of 501 Squadron above fought over my home not one mile from Croydon while I was not yet 9 years old.

I remember, especially at this time of the year, that I am here because of them and others like them. BoB day for me is a time for relection and to give thanks to these guys.

I believe the numbers left are now in the middle double figures. John Cunningham is there but not so long ago left us. AVM Foxley-Norris there too and many others you can see and might even know. ALL OF THEM ARE HEROES!

The picture below has the signatures of those of 501 who signed that night on 1/12/2000 on the back of the picture. There were 15 BoB pilots amongst us that night and it was very humbling and at the same time an immense pleasure to be in their midst. For me that was the best of all the PPRuNe Bashes I did. Few of us went to bed so long as some of them could stay the pace - and they did.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/Islander501/8ddcb886.jpg

Halton Brat
17th Sep 2012, 08:39
My sincere condolences Nutloose; no matter how much one thinks one is prepared for this, one simply is not.

You will never forget her, but it will become less painful to remember her as time goes by. Remember the good times.

HB

GreenKnight121
17th Sep 2012, 11:15
CoffmanStarter[/FONT]"] Sam ...

How spooky ... seeing Sam Hall on a photo of a Spitfire. I knew a BoB Spit pilot PO R.M.D. Hall DFC who was affectionately know as Sam Hall. Sadly he died some years back.

Thought you might be interested ...

PO Sam Hall (http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/html/p_o_r_m_d_hall_d_f_c.html)

Best regards ...

Coff.
Chugalug2[/FONT]"]Spookier still:
Sam Hall (http://www.contemplator.com/england/samhall.html)

Johnny Cash - Sam Hall - YouTube

Johnny Cash performed the song on Sings the Ballads of the True West (1965) and American IV: The Man Comes Around(2002). The 2002 version was often used by the band Flogging Molly as an intro for their concerts.

Of course, Johnny attributed it as an Old West song, not an even older British song.

I personally prefer the 1965 version, he sang it with more emotion & character back then (when he was a drug-addicted 33-year-old, not a dying from diabetes 70-year-old).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Cash_bench_plaque%2C_Falkland%2C_Fife.JPG

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Sep 2012, 11:26
John Cunningham.
The only autograph I ever got as a boy, at an airshow at Hatfield. Twenty years later I had the pleasure of flying my night fighter out of that airfield, having chosen to become a fighter pilot rather than grow up.

I spent the day building my house, mainly insulating and putting up stud walls in the basement, grateful for the peace the BofB helped to ensure. With some stirring stuff on the iTunes player.

Blacksheep
17th Sep 2012, 12:18
I had a read of "First Light" and wondered why there was nobody rattling tins and selling wings these days.

Most likely because hardly any of The Many remember The Few any more.

zetec2
17th Sep 2012, 15:05
Spent the day in bed recovering from minor op, but did join up on this day at Halton 1958, 14.00 hours No 2 Wing tank ! PH.

LesleyP
26th Sep 2012, 08:27
My husband and I were at Leuchars and it was his birthday that was broadcast, thanks to the superb organisation at the Veterans Marquee when I attempted to have it done. Just to put the light to the blue touch paper (he's an ex-armourer) CAS came over and had a long chat with us. Made Alan's day!

Snakecharmer
26th Sep 2012, 10:51
I was displaying at the Berlin Airshow, where one of the highlights was the Me262/109 formation...

NutLoose
26th Sep 2012, 15:52
Thanks guys for your kind thoughts..