PDA

View Full Version : Transporting pets to the US

eastern wiseguy
15th Sep 2012, 19:47
Does anyone have any experience of moving their dog across the atlantic?
Specifically how soon after arrival can you be reunited with the hound?(ignoring any quarantine requirements)

Ta

EW

Worried Spaniel owner:(

Nani
16th Sep 2012, 04:02
Have flown pups and dogs from various countries with various airlines into eastern US. No quarantine time for bringing them into US,however,since my pups/dogs are coming from agricultural areas,my state requires 10 days quarantine at our property.

USDA - APHIS - Import and Export (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_pets.shtml)

Make sure to have his health certificate taped on the top of his kennel along with a bag of dried kibbles,at JFK,it takes longer to process them (approx. time to reunite about an hour). BWI is the fastest,they seem to unload the animals first then you sit there waiting for your luggage. Cannot say much about IAD,had dogs come out rather quickly,sometimes had to wait awhile.

At IAD and BWI,there are places where you can take your dog to relieve himself,unlike JFK. Concrete jungle offers various fancy cars for boy dogs and you can always claim he is a country bumpkin if owners will frown at him for washing their tires.;)

Very important note,make sure to treat your dog with K-9 Advantix II or Frontline prior to your arrival. We do have an enormous tick problems.

eastern wiseguy
16th Sep 2012, 09:06
Thanks Nani. Good useful stuff :ok:

hval
16th Sep 2012, 09:36
eastern Wiseguy,

I took the wife once, had no problems.

I just hope my wife doesn't see this posting; she will kill me.

eastern wiseguy
16th Sep 2012, 10:16
hval.....that was going to be my supplementary question!:E

Jarvy
16th Sep 2012, 14:41
Back in 2008 we moved to the US bringing our cat with us. We flew BA into Boston with the cat on the same flight.
Dropped him off the evening before the flight at the cattery at Heathrow who arranged everything. On arrival at Boston the only problem was getting accross town to the BA cargo warehouse then the paperchase before 5pm when the office shut!