PDA

View Full Version : Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Payments

sturb199
14th Sep 2012, 19:46
Ok then so here I'am sat at home with a fractured T12, sustained whilst on duty. So I'm just wondering if I should claim on the above scheme and if I do what sort of payment do I expect?
More than open to discussion and abuse for having the thought of claiming!

Voxpop
14th Sep 2012, 21:32
If you believe your condition is due to service, there is no reason at all why you should not claim. Heaven forbid, but things may deteriorate and it is more than useful to have an early claim/report on the record. If you need independent help, The Royal British Legion are the experts and lead on this.

baffman
14th Sep 2012, 22:14
There is a table which sets out the payments applicable to different kinds of injury.

General info here: Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (http://www.veterans-uk.info/pensions/afcs_new.html)

There is absolutely no reason not to claim. Apart from losing out on the compensation which is intended for you and has been budgeted for, failure to claim will count against you, should there be complications in later life.

Plenty people have successfully claimed for non-life-changing injuries without any effect on their service career. You should definitely go for it.

Tankertrashnav
15th Sep 2012, 09:01
It might be useful to include this link to the War Disablement Pensions Scheme which awards lump sums and pensions for those whose condition arose from service before 2005, when the new scheme came into effect

War Disablement Pensions (http://www.veterans-uk.info/pensions/wdp_new_index.html)

I made a claim on the scheme and it was fairly straightforward, leading to a lump-sum payment which may be increased or converted to a pension should my condition deteriorate.

Definitely worth doing - get the claim started straight away.

PredatorB
15th Sep 2012, 11:22
Don't expect a sympathetic hearing if you say the word PTSD....despite all the 'hype' with glossy advertising and web sites and campaigns that these conditions are taken seriously....

sturb199
15th Sep 2012, 17:29
Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I will be sorting my application out asap. The accident happened whilst training in the UK and there is no PTSD issues, so should be a straight forward claim.

Stu

November4
15th Sep 2012, 19:39
Not sure I would agree with the PTSD comments as I know an ex-RAF bloke who is classed as 20% disabled due to PTSD put down to going swimming in the South Atlantic from the Atlantic Conveyor in 82....

SLLC
16th Sep 2012, 09:05
I made a successful claim for spinal fractures so it's absolutely possible and why the scheme is there in the first place. So don't be reticent to use it nor expect a life-changing sum either.