View Full Version : Southport Airshow 2012

Dawdler
14th Sep 2012, 16:39
We attended the above mentioned show on Saturday 8th September. The show was opened by the Red Arrows, who when assessing the weather, decided to do their "low level" performance. Unfortunately(?) during their display, the cloud cleared dramatically, giving them adequate height to perform a high level show. Sadly this did not come soon enough for them to change their display decision. What was important however that their display was disrupted by the incursion into their "box" of another non-show aircraft. They had to suspend their performance for some minutes in order to allow the errant plane to depart.

If anyone has the chance to see "The Blades" I would definitely reccommend they take it up. Reported as being four ex-red arrow pilots, they did things in their Extra 300's that their former team could never do. Four simultaneous Zimmelmann turns perfectly timed was to me the highlight of their display. The RV8tors brought a new element in their home built formation team. The Eurofighter was fantastic in it's manoeuvrability. There almost too many displays warranting a note here, but when the Typhoons arrived, the loud bangs at first seemed to indicate they arrived at above Mach1. However the bangs were provided by the organisers by letting of maroons to co-incide with the passing of the aircraft!
As with any airshow and the problems that arise, circumstances provided an unscheduled 45min gap in the proceedings half way through the schedule.

I didn't see the show on Sunday but apparently the new captain of the Vulcan performed at least one roll, perhaps to dispell the accusations that the aircraft is flown too gently nowadays. Is this the standard performance for this aircraft now?

DaveReidUK
14th Sep 2012, 17:42
I didn't see the show on Sunday but apparently the new captain of the Vulcan performed at least one roll, perhaps to dispell the accusations that the aircraft is flown too gently nowadays. Is this the standard performance for this aircraft now?

A couple of videos of the Sunday display here, nothing more extreme than a steep wingover, unless they both missed it:

Vulcan | Southport Airshow | Sunday 9th Sept 2012 - YouTube

Avro Vulcan XH558 Southport Airshow 9th September 2012 with great HOWL! - YouTube

Dawdler
14th Sep 2012, 19:41
Thanks for the videos, I suggested the roll having seen the still on this link.
Southport airshow - Talk Photography (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4964666)

DavidWoodward
15th Sep 2012, 19:09
I definitely think The Blades are one of the best teams on the airshow circuit. Absolutely fantastic!

mark25787
17th Sep 2012, 11:49
I won a flight with the Blades a few years back at a competition run at Southport Airshow. I can honestly say that it was one of the best experiences of my life and those guys are second-to-none.
Asked them to give me their best shot on the aerobatic flight...and they did!!!!! What a great bunch of guys aided by a super support team.