PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette on board - just curious!

RedT
14th Sep 2012, 05:25
Hi all,

Soooo, I was wondering if it's considered poor etiquette to ask to purchase amenity kits from first or business class? I have to admit, i love them, I'm a total sucker for mini toiletries and although I'm always (bar once in Business) in cattle class, I love having the kits from Business and First but have yet to have the balls to ask onboard.

So if I asked to purchase one would you think I was really really naff?! :O

rogerg
14th Sep 2012, 17:58
My good lady who was a CC with BCAL/BA would give you one for free!!.

PAXboy
14th Sep 2012, 18:47
You can always ask but I would suggest, politely and privately! Make the request some 2/3rds of the way through (I presume a long haul) and when no other pax is present to get the same idea!

cavortingcheetah
14th Sep 2012, 19:30
But don't do it on Qantas. They don't even carry enough extra large pajamas for their passengers let alone toothbrushes.

lenhamlad
14th Sep 2012, 21:23
My good lady who was a CC with BCAL/BA would give you one for free!!.

Do you really mean that?

Tableview
14th Sep 2012, 21:36
I don't think you'll be able to 'purchase' one as they don't have a price - they come free with J and F class tickets!

I've seen people walk through the premium cabins at the end of the flight and pick up the unused ones - I wouldn't have the neck to do it but I guess that's one way of getting them.

Mark in CA
14th Sep 2012, 22:23
Does it actually have to be from an airline? I mean, you can make up a little kit yourself fairly easily between what's available from most hotel rooms, pharmacies or other shops. Just get yourself a little plastic case to put it all into, there you have it. But I guess there's no harm in discreetly asking CC for one, either.

RedT
15th Sep 2012, 03:58
Thanks all for the replies (and for not taking the piss at my question!!).
I asked about purchasing as I'd read somewhere of pax buying them
and also of airlines putting a value on them so they could be sold.

I realise of course that I can make my own little kit (and always
do when I fly) but I like the (perceived) glamour of
the first class kits : )

I have seen people take them from the plane on exit
but I think thats a bit naff to be honest, I'd rather ask!

Thanks all, next flight is not until Feb and with
Etihad, not sure they even do kits anymore!

DaveReidUK
15th Sep 2012, 07:05
I don't think you'll be able to 'purchase' one as they don't have a price

Instead, rely on a winning smile and a bit of schmoozing. :O

Mr Mac
15th Sep 2012, 07:10
I am lucky and get to pick up quite a few of these although often just strip them for deodrants colougne etc. In flight often just use toothpaste and deodrant. Gave up on shaving in flight after bad case of turblance and raisor, I looked like somthing from Sweeny Tods:O.

strake
15th Sep 2012, 15:04
My saved amenity bags have been pressed into all kinds of service by my wife - apart from the late '90s Anna Hindmarsh zipped one's which are quite nice so I've kept them. :O
However, every ready to assist...

British Airways bags | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=British+Airways+bags&_nkwusc=British+Airways+washbags&_rdc=1)

Hotel Tango
15th Sep 2012, 18:44
All depends on the airline I think these days. On the carriers I fly with most I find today's Business Class amenity bags are no better than what one used to get in Economy Class 10 to 15 years ago.

Businesstraveller
17th Sep 2012, 11:35
I think the Thai Airlines F class amenity kit is pretty decent, particularly since they changed over to the hard case which is a replica of what you get with Lufthansa. However, the same can't be said for the slightly naff jim-jams they give you. I prefer those from Swiss Airlines which are more like 'lounge wear'.

TFlyguy
17th Sep 2012, 16:19
I have seen many for sale on Ebay ..........

RevMan2
17th Sep 2012, 19:39
My LH First Class Rimowa replica went for somewhere around €60....