PDA

View Full Version : GA jobs in Aus? Help a fellow pilot out!

Jagdfalke
13th Sep 2012, 22:52
I'm a kiwi pilot looking for work. Finding a job down here in Noo Zilland is tricky business, especially considering most jobs are advertised along the grapevine, of which i am currently not a part. Ideally, i'd like to move abroad anyway - preferably Australia - and to that end i have TTMRA'd my CPL for the Australian version.

I've been monitoring AFAP for jobs, and applying for anything i'm suitable for. Unsurprisingly, most outfits don't even respond to the applications i send, which is all that can be expected concerning emailed applications i suppose. Ideally, i'd like to drive from airfield to airfield handing out my CV, but at the moment that isn't a geographically or financially a viable option for me.

What i'm trying to say is, i'd love some help here. Really i would. If anyone in NZ/Aus could give me a heads up on who is recruiting where, and the best way to approach the opportunity, i'd be most grateful. I'm NOT fussy. At the moment i'd be happy just to be airborne again.

I've 700 hours TT (152/172/182/PA18/PA28/P68B/R2160)
30 Multi (PA34)
BGT
MEIR
C-Cat (not current)

Jobs in western Australia would be super ideal as i have friends/relatives who live there, but again, i'm NOT fussy.

Again, i'd be most grateful for any help!

Thanks!

the_rookie
14th Sep 2012, 00:27
think you will find that it would be hard to get a job up north or west for a couple more months. no experience in the matter, just from what ive read. Do a google search and add pprune to the end of it and im sure some info will come up

ChaseIt
14th Sep 2012, 00:43
Sadly mate i believe Pprune never really works like that... You're just gonna have to set up camp somewhere and keep knocking on doors like the rest of us did until someone gives you a shot... :ok:

If you moved in the next few months to somewhere in the top end, its unlikely you would be given a go until after the wet season.

When you move to where ever it is you are hoping to fly, go there expecting the worst (no job offer for 6-8 months) and hope for the best!

Sorry to sound like a careless prick but its the truth! Welcome to GA :E

baron_beeza
14th Sep 2012, 00:52
The grapevine is by far the best bet. I know of two 'pilots' that have been offered jobs by chatting with their neighbour over the back fence. One only had a PPL at the time and had not flown for over 10 years.

As you will hear on this thread.. and already have mentioned yourself, - getting a job by email is a waste of time and resources.

You would do better reading some of the past posts and perhaps PM'ing some individuals to get their story.

Given the money you have invested so far then spending another $400 for a ticket to Darwin is nothing.

Either you are serious or you are a dreamer.

How does that saying go..
There are those that make things happen
There are those that watch thing happen
and then they are those that wondered WTF happened.

I think you know the answer, Good luck with it.

I may be able to help out with Darwin accommodation sometime in the future also.

Jagdfalke
14th Sep 2012, 00:59
Thanks for advice, chaps. I figured it would come to door knocking - i was just hoping i'd get lucky and someone would know of something going :)

Thanks for accommodation offer. I'll keep that in mind!

flying-spike
14th Sep 2012, 01:20
"Jobs in western Australia would be super ideal as i have friends/relatives who live there, but again, I'm NOT fussy."

Another Kiwi that thinks the Canning Stock Route is an annual event!

VH-XXX
14th Sep 2012, 02:20
Perhaps go and move yourself into William Creek at the start of the wet season for Lake Eyre. Actually being there at the time is going to be your problem unless you have some starting money. Sitting at home in NZ is likely not going to get you a job unfortunately.

NIK320
14th Sep 2012, 08:29
Emailing from miles away does nothing.

I had 2 NZ pilot resumes pass my desk today.
The first pilot walked in the door and introduced himself to me. I then introduced him to the CFI who happily took his resume.
The second was emailed from NZ. I was asked to delete it without the CFI even looking at it.

cptkris
14th Sep 2012, 08:53
Try china southern in WA. Bucketloads of flying (800hrs/year) ok pay (double normal nz wage)

Jack Ranga
14th Sep 2012, 10:31
Don't fly for nuthin' bro (had to be said)