PDA

View Full Version : Exam Expiry Question

pplh
13th Sep 2012, 18:27
Hi all,

Due to a variety of reasons, the main being putting my cyclic hand through a window and not flying in 6 months, my PPL(H) exams deadline of 24 months is fast approaching.

I understand the '24 months from the last exam passed' rule, but as this could be coming down to the wire, I was hoping someone might know the specifics.

My questions is basically as follows - does my logbook and paperwork have to be on the CAA's desk, stamped and signed off within this 24 months, or do I just have to pass my skills test within the 24 months?

If its the first and I decide to drive it to Gatwick in person, how far before that deadline should I need to get it there? I'm told the CAA isn't always renowned for being the most prompt of organisations :p, so I would hate to drop everything off only for it to join a pile and not make it through within my exam deadline.

Your knowledge much appreciated and as always I hope I've threaded this in the right place.

RTN11
13th Sep 2012, 21:55
Not familiar with the (H) side of things, but imagining it's the same as (A) the paperwork would need to be on their desk within the time frame.

Driving down and delivering it makes no difference for an initial licence issue, all they will do is add it to the pile. Just get it sent recorded or special delivery and this will have the same effect, as long as you have proof that you posted it so it should have arrived within the time.

pplh
14th Sep 2012, 20:09
Thanks for your response RTN11.

Are you sure about that G-RICH?
I'm almost certain its 24 months from the date of the last exam taken, not the second? Plus all of the exams have to be passed within 18 months of the first one being taken, hence removing the loophole of being able to extend my 24 months by just retaking one exam.

pplh
15th Sep 2012, 18:49
Fair enough, I see where you're coming from and I can see that may well work for some people.
My problem is my air law was taken in April 09, and Met & Human Performance a few months later in July 09. I'm just looking for the dates for the others, but I would have to be retaking 3 or 4 exams minimum to get them all within 18 months of one another if I were to retake Air Law again now.

All gets a little bit complex, I hope that makes sense!

pplh
15th Sep 2012, 22:27
I passed AGK and FPP last and on the same day, 31st October 2010 - hence 31st October 2012 being the end of my 24 months. If all goes to plan and I can find a combination of instructor availability, examiner availability and half decent weather, I should get through in the next 6 weeks before that date!

My main concern and original question was: is that 24 months to just pass my skills test, or 24 months to actually have my licensed issued? If its the latter then my deadline for skills test is probably somewhere in the early 20's of October at the latest, to allow time for all my paperwork to be processed and license issued before 31st October.

All the exams are sat through the training school so its not difficult to retake, I can go down there and take any of them again should I need to.

smith
16th Sep 2012, 07:30
Write to the CAA and ask for an extension on medical grounds due to your injured hand, they are usually quite good that way.

BEagle
16th Sep 2012, 11:40
Write to the CAA and ask for an extension on medical grounds due to your injured hand, they are usually quite good that way.

I agree. Ensure you have the relevant medical evidence available*.

* I nearly wrote 'to hand'....:\

pplh
17th Sep 2012, 09:15
Righto, thanks for the clarification.
Good to hear the CAA might grant an extension, certainly worth a letter I think. I saw an AME before flying again after the accident so have plenty of reports and paperwork 'to hand', thanks BEagle! ;)