PDA

View Full Version : TSA approval

cirrus_
13th Sep 2012, 18:20
Hi there,

I am a little concerned, as I am flying to the US next week for some flight training, however no one told me about TSA and having to be approved prior to start.

I have now got my application in, and am waiting for a payment request.

however my course starts on the 24th Sep, do you think I may have left this too late? and should I try and cancel my flight to a later date? any advice would really help, thanks

StOrMsCaTcHeR
13th Sep 2012, 21:00
According to the homeland department, any foreign national, seeking the flight training in the US, must get the TSA approval prior to their training. So in other words if you start your training without the approval, you could be breaking the law. You may fly to the states next week, but I would advise to postpone the training until you get the clearance, or if you can delay your travel plans, and let the school know of the new start date ( you have to mentioned the start date to TSA as well) and then fly when everything is sorted.

Just stay put, it's very simple and easy process. If you have a clean record, no need to worry, just wait for 3 weeks to get approved, as that's all it takes.

BYR
14th Sep 2012, 09:03
Hey cirrus.

In my case TSA approval took 10-11 days. I don't think it should cause you a problem even if you don't get the approval by the time you arrive the to US. In worst case scenario you would just have to wait a few days with the flying training.

AlexanderH
14th Sep 2012, 13:14
I was lucky. I arrived in Florida, did my TSA fingerprinting on that day and the permission to fly was granted the next day.