PDA

View Full Version : A320 Engine Start Query

maninder.jessel
13th Sep 2012, 12:47
Hi everyone!
I have a question for all A320 mechs out there.Consider the following scenario:
1)Aircraft on ground with both engines shut down.
2)APU unserviceable although HP ground air cart is available.
3)No ground power supply available.
In such a case, is it possible to start engines on batteries alone? Are there any maintenance manual/FCOM procedure references for this?
Thnkx in advance!!

IFixPlanes
13th Sep 2012, 15:22
...In such a case, is it possible to start engines on batteries alone? ...Maybe, but i do not know how.

...Are there any maintenance manual/FCOM procedure references for this?...No.

flame_bringer
13th Sep 2012, 16:33
You cant because the EIUs and ECUs wont get powered.
You will need a ground power to start the engines.

ZH875
13th Sep 2012, 16:33
How to steal a large aircraft in one easy lesson?

IFixPlanes
14th Sep 2012, 05:57
How to steal a large aircraft in one easy lesson?Step one:
- take a aircraft with a serviceable APU :ok:
-

chuzwuza
15th Sep 2012, 08:02
I have no evidence of this but I am led to believe by a bus driver that this is possible. You must select both fadecs on manually which will use batt power until dedicated genny comes on at around 7% n2. Varies between eng type of course.

Cough
17th Sep 2012, 17:08
The MEL entry for 24-41-01 gives the game away...

tvrao
3rd Oct 2012, 12:10
Theoretically it is possible to start the engine under the stated conditions ,if you press the EMER GEN TEST switch . When you press the EMER GEN TEST switch you are able to power 28V DC EssBus(4PP) by batery2 ,and battery1 powers static inverter and static inverter 115V AC powers AC ESS Bus (4XP) and static inverter bus 901XP..
If these buses are powered you can get power for IGN A, Captain PFD/ND and Upper center display unit E/WD , other LRUs related to engine start are also powered.
Make sure your batteries are in good condition. EMER GEN TEST switch is momentary contact switch,you should keep it pressed till your start is complete and you power the aircraft with engine power(IDG).
This is not an approved procedure and you should follow the approved AMM and FCOM procedures to start the engine.
Never experiment with aircraft systems,follow approved safe procedures and practices.
If this was asked in a oral interview to test the knowledge of the candidate, the above explanation is theoretical answer.

yasir8095
8th Oct 2012, 10:51
Try stealing a 737NG instead. It definitely has a battery start procedure. ;-)