PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Padstow - Roserrow?

x933
12th Sep 2012, 22:33
Has anyone got any information on Roserrow? The website doesn't appear to work any more and - seemingly - the golf and country club was sold in March.

Trying to work out the closest place to Padstow that I can take the Europa to and leave overnight. Yes, yes...another pilgrimage to Rick Stein's...

Joe le Taxi
13th Sep 2012, 07:20
Assuming it is still the same, make sure you get the LAA/Devon Strut discount (£10 I think) - The kids on the desk of the fitness centre will likely not know about it and insist on £20.

srayne
13th Sep 2012, 08:04
I now use Newquay instead of Roserrow to go to visit Padstow (which we do regurlarly). Roserrow is a tricky strip to use (short with steep slope and hedges both ends), you then have to taxi into Rock and get the ferry across to Padstow. Aircraft will be parked on the golf course with full public access.

Newquay no longer require handling and taxis are on site (15min / £20 ride into Padstow) will also fuel you up whilst you're away if you require and have all the facilities you could need. They do however require PPR by phone 24hrs in advance.

We're off down there tomorrow again if weather allows!

IanPZ
13th Sep 2012, 12:50
So does roserrow still actually exist as a landing strip?

rohmer
13th Sep 2012, 12:56
Roserrow is now known as The Point at Polzeath - The Point at Polzeath (http://www.thepointatpolzeath.co.uk)

As the airstrip no longer features on the company website, I phoned them this morning (13th Sept) and was told that, whilst the strip is still available via the contact number for the Health Club with a £20 landing fee, its future is being reviewed. In line with the new leisure facilities that are being introduced at the site, it is likely that the airstrip will be redeveloped for outdoor fitness activities at some time in the future.

JamesHawks
13th Sep 2012, 20:38
Newquay no longer require handling and taxis are on site (15min / £20 ride into Padstow) will also fuel you up whilst you're away if you require and have all the facilities you could need. They do however require PPR by phone 24hrs in advance.

Are you saying Newquay requires 24 hours PPR or am I misreading?

srayne
14th Sep 2012, 06:56
Yes - from their website All non scheduled movements are subject to PPR. For Flynqy please call 01637 861744 and for Weston Aviation please call 01637 860551.. Less that 24hrs may be OK though.

300hrWannaB
18th Apr 2014, 22:08
The new owners seem to be happy to keep the strip operational, but it's clearly secondary to golf and short break holidays. That said, the landing fee is now £10, not £20. Camping under the wing is allowed, even encouraged. The leisure centre is available for use, and then the best bit.

Lunch is FANTASTIC. Forget your greasy spoon caffs, this is proper Masterchef, but without the silly price tag.

Anyone contemplating flying in or out should be comfortable with strip flying. It's not so short as to need brakes, but you don't want to waste the runway. On 07 they want you to do a curved (Spitfire) approach, and having seen someone do the straight in version over the barn roof I can see why.

Get your landing plates from the web, older books will be out of date. The runway orientation has changed significantly.

This place is now my most favourite destination.