PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Wales: looking for dog-friendly places to stay near airfields

I Love Flying
12th Sep 2012, 09:23
Dear PpRuNers

My OH and I are toying with the idea of having a few days' flying/exploring around Wales before the clocks change, possibly even towards the end of this month.

Just before I start trawling the net to do some research, I thought I would also post on here to find out if you have any suggestions on the best airfields to visit in a PA28 (tarmac or grass equally acceptable) and also for dog-friendly places to stay that are within a reasonable distance of an airfield as we'll be bringing our four-legged passenger too :)

As is always the case with such adventures, we'll be keeping an eye on the budget, so we're looking to avoid any ridiculous 'handling charges':ugh:, and are not looking for Hilton-type accommodation!

Any suggestions or advice is gratefully received to try to make our 'wouldn't it be nice....' idea become a reality.:):):)

Legalapproach
14th Sep 2012, 23:41
I would be equally interested

PompeyPaul
15th Sep 2012, 13:16
I can give you the true Welsh experience by constantly pouring water over you and have somebody banging on about how great Wales is all of the time. It'd be a fraction of the cost!

Exascot
15th Sep 2012, 13:55
Try this link:

Dog Friendly Hotels, B & Bs, holiday cottages and Self-catering accommodation in UK & Ireland (http://www.friendly-places.com/categories/dog-friendly/?gclid=CKa40dvdt7ICFWLHtAod9nsArQ)

Personally I would be looking for a dog-friendly-child-unfriendly establishment. :E

Pace
15th Sep 2012, 19:35
Do the tour ; ) start at Welshpool then overfly the welsh mountains low level! Climb towards Snowdonia! Drop down and land at Caernarfon! Take the dog for a walk on one of the best beaches around!
Take off again and fly all the way around Anglesy low level at 100 feet over the sea! Coming back over the straights fly south towards south Wales and follow the coast to Haverfordwest land there!
Flyover the south Wales coast and beaches pass Swansea and Cardiff then head north to Shobdon ( not really Wales but feels like it ; )
Amazing trip which I have flown but pick good weather

Pace

DX Wombat
15th Sep 2012, 21:39
Shobdon, just on the English side of the border, has a caravan for hire and I think, but am not sure, it allows pets. No need to make brekky, just go down to the cafe and whilst you are there you can pick up a sandwich for lunch.
Edited to add that the Bateman Arms (http://www.batemanarms.com/) about a mile from the airfield is a dog-friendly hotel. :)

akaSylvia
21st Sep 2012, 10:41
Hey, don't pass Swansea! We have a lovely (if somewhat less than flat) runway for you to land on and plenty of dog-friendly establishments if you get a lift to the coast from there (about 20 min drive).

I Love Flying
21st Sep 2012, 15:49
Thanks for your replies all. All suggestions gratefully received.:ok:

pshz11
21st Sep 2012, 15:54
Are you going to Walles with welsh corgi? :} I have two cardigans, but they did not fly yet :(

avturboy
21st Sep 2012, 16:36
Caernarfon has already been mentioned, but just to add that just under the final approach for runway 26 there is a caravan site called Morfa Lodge where you can rent a dog friendly static caravan. Walk to the site is therefore just a couple of minutes.

Other than that the airfield is remote from shops and other facilities but it is served by local bus and taxis to get into Caernarfon (approx 5 miles away)