PDA

View Full Version : Essendon or Moorabbin?

Matt J
11th Sep 2012, 04:32
I'm visiting Melbourne for a few days and flying down some friends. What is easier to use Essendon or Moorabbin? I used Essendon about 6 years ago and it was pretty easy. I read something about an access card though. Which do you recommend? Melbourne students and pilots might be knowledgable on this. Thanks in advance.

Lasiorhinus
11th Sep 2012, 05:06
Essendon is far, far easier to get to the city from. There's a tram stop just across the road if you want public transport, or the freeway if you want to taxi.

Moorabbin is a LONG way away through busy suburban roads.

Matt J
11th Sep 2012, 05:17
Yes Essendon is better for that. What about airport access? Does Essenson have an access card I have to arrange for? Does either airport require prior permission to access/land? What about parking for 2 nights? I have an ASIC so that is no issue.

Spinner73
11th Sep 2012, 05:28
Student at Essendon, and I'd happily recommend it.
Essendon has several plusses (plussii???). Chief among them:

Closer to the City, and easier to get to by virtue of the freeway being right there.

Despite the proximity to Tulla and the small amount of RPT of it's own, lower traffic levels - with an experienced and helpful ATC crew looking after you. No myriad students doing circuits on any one of nineteen different runways at once has to be a bonus!

Of course, you are paying Lindsay to land there - take a sewing kit for your fundament.:eek:

The private GA apron is the most Northerly of the three directly in front of the terminal, and from memory you don't need the swipey card to get in/out of there.

fujii
11th Sep 2012, 05:29
Essendon does have access cards for regulars. See the Essendon information in ERSA - Additional Information para. 5 for your requirements.

Homesick-Angel
11th Sep 2012, 05:36
You would only go to moorabbin to learn to fly. There is no other reason

Old Akro
11th Sep 2012, 09:27
Go wherever is logistically easier. Ring Essendon about access. They are easy to deal with. If you are flying in, leaving the a/c and flying out, then getting the security guy will be easier than an access disk.

If you are going to the suburbs, don't forget Tyabb, Coldstream, Lilydale, kyneton, Bacchus Marsh, barwon Heads. The train from Bacchus to the city is very good.

Bonniciwah
11th Sep 2012, 10:45
You can prearrange to land at Point Cook fir free if you visit the RAAF Museum - though transport from there can be an issue.
RAAF Museum: Visit Us (http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseum/museum/visits.htm)

VH-XXX
11th Sep 2012, 11:22
Last time I went into Essendon I just rang the number in the ERSA for the Security guys and they let me in and out with no issues. Just try and give them a bit of warning otherwise you may possibly have to wait a bit for them as they might be up the other end.

You don't have to call anyone if you go into Moorabbin, just type in the number written on the gate and don't forget what it was if you are heading out for a night on the town.

Find out where your friends need to go and determine which is closer to their place of visit.

TOUCH-AND-GO
11th Sep 2012, 11:39
Hands down Essendon Airport!

Definitely take the advice of calling them and by 'them' I mean tower, security or even operations manager and basically give them a heads up that you will be coming down for the day/night.

I'm pretty sure their will be a parking fee....

Grab a copy of the Melbourne Basin guide and just familiarize yourself with approach points/Procedures.

I highly recommend you taking a copy of Essendon terminal chart from the Air services website.

Moorabbin is just to bloody complicated with its taxiways for someone not familiar with the field!

I'm still having trouble with it :}

Hope you have a fun trip!

T&G. :ok:

peterc005
11th Sep 2012, 12:13
Moorabbin is definitely a better place to train.

More flying schools and runways. It's a friendlier place for trainee pilots.

My recollection is that Moorabbin landing fees are ~$10 pop, while Essendon is ~$45.

Basic training at Eseendon is a pain because lots of time is spend transiting to the training area out west.

Moorabbin is about 20km down the Nepean Highway. Catch the train to Cheltenham, then a bus down Centre Dandenong Rd.

Last time I looked there were more than ten flying schools at Moorabbin, so there are plenty or choices and resources.

b_sta
12th Sep 2012, 10:00
Essendon - better proximity to the city, simpler airport layout, less traffic with crazy students buzzing around, straightforward entry and departure procedures, and a helpful tower. Good chance of arrival and departure straight through Melbourne class C, too, if you plan outside of peak hours - Melbourne Departures are great.

Howard Hughes
13th Sep 2012, 00:41
Essendon, unless your business happens to be in the Moorabbin area!:ok:

Jack Ranga
13th Sep 2012, 03:30
Land at neither, stop lining the pockets of these ****eholes for NOT providing a service. There are plenty of aerodromes that ring the city with no access problems to the city.