PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions re LHR T1, SFO and Las Vegas

UniFoxOs
10th Sep 2012, 07:35
Hi all,

I have to go to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks, and SWMBO and I are going to make it a bit of a holiday. We are flying to SFO, having a few days at Fisherman's Wharf, then driving scenically to Las Vegas, a few days there for a wedding (reason for this excursion) then driving scenically back to 'frisco via the Canyon, Route 66, and LA over another few days.

SO - for the last 30 years or so I have managed to avoid LHR, having been able to get anywhere I want from BHX, EMA, or the odd venture as far as LTN or LGW. However this time the best option for a direct flight is from LHR T1. No doubt it's a lot different from when I used it regularly (the last time I was there was a shuttle from Manchester about 1977) so I'd like to know if there's anything to watch out for such as any likelihood of delays or problems, any security issues possible and how far you have to walk to get to the a/c.

SFO - can't imagine any problems particularly but any comments welcome, especially regarding ground transportation to Fisherman's Wharf. Last time I was there (about 1980) ISTR the hotels all had courtesy buses, but I understand that's no longer the case and we shall have to make our own arrangements.

Las Vegas - been recently (18 months ago) so not worried - just thought I'd ask if anyone knows any interesting event happening first week October, and any suggestions for a different place for a family dinner.

Thanks in advance

Ancient Observer
10th Sep 2012, 10:57
Whilst they are still mucking about with T2 or whatever they are going to call it, most parts of lhr are a bit crowded. However, have used it 3 times this year for holiday type flights, and we have not encountered any problems. The "scare" stories happen to the 3%, not the 97%. The amount of walking is pot luck. If you have trouble walking, ask, in advance, for help. Lots of leccy buggies around.

Don't try to park anywhere near lhr. Too expensive.

Went to Fishermans Wharf 30+ years ago and it was interesting. Went back 2 years ago and it was like Blackpool during Wakes Week. Didn't like it.
For transport, if you can hire a car, and are willing to drive, that's what many others do. Trawl the net for the best deals.

highflyer40
10th Sep 2012, 11:02
TEXT SPEAK

esa-aardvark
10th Sep 2012, 14:08
I could recommend the hotel Nikko, was quite convenient
for the cable car, but not inexpensive. Wife and I took the cable car a lot. Walking right & left is OK, up & down is not
if you see what I mean. Fisherman's wharf was a waste of time,
but probably you should have a look. You will find better
fish restaurants elsewhere. Alcatraz was worth a visit, as was the aircraft carrier Hornet across by ferry to Alameida (sp?)
then a bus ride. When we were there there was quite a lot of the reserve transport fleet docked there. Of course the last working liberty ship is tied up in San Francisco.

UniFoxOs
10th Sep 2012, 14:26
I was going to add that nobody goes to SFO and stays at fishermans wharf voluntarily. it's a dump.

SWMBO's daughter (bride to be) stayed there a couple of years ago, seemed to think it OK. We have booked Holiday Inn on Columbus (suggested by travel agent plus I get loyalty points) but we won't be spending a lot of time on the wharf. Got a tour booked to Alcatraz, a winery tour and tickets for a hop-on hop-off bus service around 'frisco and out to Sausalito. Then we pick up the car and leave.

I hope u are aware of the driving distance from SFO to LAS?

According to Viamichelin about 460 to Beatty, overnight there and then 115 to LAS. We need to arrive at McCarran about 1300 local to meet the best man off his flight.

Don't try to park anywhere near lhr. Too expensive.

I expected it to be, but we got a deal at Purple parking, fairly close and didn't seem any dearer than we pay at provincial airports

as was the aircraft carrier Hornet across by ferry to Alameida

Thanks for that, will try to fit it in. Is the simulator ride worth doing?

MarkerInbound
10th Sep 2012, 15:46
For SFO, the Bay Area Rapid Transit (google BART) runs a train from the airport into town every 15 minute for about 8 dollars. The Embarcadero station is about a 15-20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf. I used to walk it on layovers but dragging bags I'd say hail a taxi when you pop up above ground.

WHBM
10th Sep 2012, 16:47
San Francisco has an excellent old tramway system (not the cablecars) that comes all the way down Market Street, the main drag of the city, then turns the corner at the sea and runs along the waterfront to Fishermans Wharf, so passes a good number of visitable points on the way. They use old 1940s electric trams on it, there is usually one in sight, it is not delay prone like the cablecars are, and it is right there in the middle of the street unlike the modern transport systems which all seem buried about 5 minutes schlepping down escalators and things at their infrequent stations under Market Street.

Must say that if you got from Embarcadero to Fishermans Wharf in 15 minutes on foot you should have been in the Olympics team !

Espada III
10th Sep 2012, 18:47
You must and I mean must do this tour in San Fran.

San Francisco Fire Engine Tours & Adventures Reviews - San Francisco, CA Attractions - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g60713-d495177-Reviews-San_Francisco_Fire_Engine_Tours_Adventures-San_Francisco_California.html)

Worth every dime.

Mark in CA
10th Sep 2012, 22:20
For SFO transit, check 511.org, which will tell you how to get anywhere from anywhere in the Bay Area.

Basically, BART goes from right inside the international terminal to downtown SF (and beyond) for $8.25. I'd get off at the last SF stop, the Embarcadero, and then take either a bus or tram to the wharf area.

There are some nice hotels in that area, but it's all very touristy and honky tonk. North Beach (Little Italy) is walking distance (up Columbus), as is Telegraph Hill, Chinatown and, a little further, Union Square.

Best time of year to be in SF (I am now, too, but returning to Budapest in two weeks).