PDA

View Full Version : Historic Towbar Needed

mattfalcus
9th Sep 2012, 20:02
Hi all,

just wondering if anyone can help. We're looking for a towbar that can handle a HS Trident aircraft, so 1960s-80s era.

Does anyone have any leads as to where I could obtain or loan one to help with our Save The Trident project - preserving the last complete Trident 1C aircraft

Thanks

Matt Falcus
www.savethetrident.org (http://www.savethetrident.org)

Opsbeatch
10th Sep 2012, 09:06
Hi Matt,

Try Stansted, we used to do tug training on the Trident. Always an issue as the nosewheel was offset :)

Give them a call, the old towbar may still be knocking around unless someone nicked it for scrap...

OB

Skipness One Echo
12th Sep 2012, 21:55
Prestwick had one to move G-AWZJ about and Glasgow also had one to service G-ARPP about the airfield.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Sep 2012, 11:28
Nothing at Duxford? They have a Trident, and presumably have to move it sometimes?

G

aergid
13th Sep 2012, 11:40
I will ask a friend at Prestwick for you. I know they had one when I worked there in late 90's

Good lUck otherwise.:ok:

mattfalcus
14th Sep 2012, 16:44
Great, thanks for your help guys!

Matt

A and C
14th Sep 2012, 16:58
You could also look or a BAC1-11 tow bar as it will fit the Trident.

aergid
21st Sep 2012, 10:24
:{ just had a message back that the Trident Towbar was "skipped" at PIK a while back.....

Sorry......

Inspecthergadget
25th Sep 2012, 10:53
Might sound like a dumb statement but have you asked British Airways, Marshalls or any other big engineering firm?

Inspecthergadget
25th Sep 2012, 12:34
Got this info from a mate of mine in the UK
Might be worth contacting Cyprus Airways as they used to operate them, indeed 5B-DAB is still there from 1974. Others that operated them were PIA, Iraqi Airways and Air Ceylon. Just possibly, one of them or their successors could still have a tow-bar gathering dust somewhere.
Hope this helps.

aergid
26th Sep 2012, 06:49
5B-DAB is still at Nicosia Airport, but good luck getting there. The Turkish and/or UN might have something to say about that :ugh: it is in the Green zone!

I can also confirm there is no Trident Towbar at CY Engineering at either PFO or LCA airports....