PDA

View Full Version : PNG weather overview

Waghi Warrior
9th Sep 2012, 05:43
G'day all,,,

A few years ago I read a good article on this website giving a very good appraisal of the seasonal weather conditions that PNG experiences, written specifically for pilots. Can anyone provide me a link to this page as I have done many word searches and I still can locate the post. I believe the article may have originated from a Talair or Douglas Airways pilot.

I would like the articale to provide to a new pilot who is about to go to PNG.

Any help would be most welcome :O

aroa
9th Sep 2012, 12:53
From past years in PNG, motoring all over on aerial mapping..she's a very entertaining place wx wise, to say the least..! And fabulous scenery too !

Generally??... central ranges block the SE Trades/"winter" for the better wx on the north coast, crappy on the south coast...but not always.
Wet season/summer NW winds ,crappy on the north coast, better on the south coast..but not always...its variations on the theme, constantly.!
And its different up in the Highlands again, where observations of daily wx cycles/ changes and local knowledge are important.

We got most of our flying done in the mornings ...but not always. At least in that line of business there were no schedules to keep, or pax, so one could "duck n weave". We had our fine wx surprises... and some ring twitching positioning flights.

There will be folk here that have much more extended experience ..but I found the place needing yr "anxiety antennae" finely tuned at all times for the terrain, the wx and the unexpected, because we were going into new country virtually every day.
Challenging.

I had a friend who was based on the north coast bush piloting for 6 years, so his local knowlege base was huge...with a few "exciting" lessons thrown in to reinforce it.
When he was shifted to the south coast, into unfamilair terrain, he was no longer with us after 5 weeks.
Its that sort of place.
Go well,... but carefully.:ok: