PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed Hudson flight instruments layout.

A37575
8th Sep 2012, 12:18
On 1 January 1950 at Camden NSW, Australia, , a Lockheed Hudson on a newspaper run crashed shortly after take off at night in mist killing both pilots. Evidence from the only witness who saw the landing lights, indicated the aircraft may have stalled at around 500 feet. There was no icing conditions and the captain was experienced in night departures.
The possibility exists he may have taken off with his artificial horizon caged which could explain the loss of control soon after take off as it was a very black night and mist.

I wonder if any readers might happen to have a photo of a Hudson instrument panel showing the position of both the AH and Turn and Bank indicator. In particular if the picture shows a caging knob on the AH and the DG. The DG knob is pressed in for caging. If so, could you scan it on to Pprune, please? Also in which direction from the pilots viewpoint (clockwise or anti-clockwise) does the knob have to be turned to uncage the AH. I recall the AH and DG were a Sperry design

The Court if Inquiry were unable to pin-point the reason why it may have stalled since it could not be proved if either of the engines may have failed

Engineer_aus
19th Sep 2012, 01:53
Your best bet is to either contact the Temora Aviation museum or the Australian War memorial which they both have a Hudson each.

A37575
19th Sep 2012, 23:30
Eng Aus. Thanks for that. I'll try Temora first as going through the War Museum personnel will probably take yonks.