PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Photograph

Geehovah
8th Sep 2012, 10:34
It's a long shot but does anyone recognise this shot of XV472 which was posted on another website. I'm trying to track down the photographer (copyright) as it was the first F4 I ever flew and it's in the original 228 OCU colours. I'd like to use the picture in a book but I need permission.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/DeeGee/Aircraft/XV472FirstF4.jpg

Chairborne 09.00hrs
8th Sep 2012, 10:40
Which website would that be?

sled dog
8th Sep 2012, 16:44
Nice to see 64 Sqn markings on the fin :ok:

NutLoose
8th Sep 2012, 17:20
Try sending an email to webmaster@ then the sites name, that sometimes works, is there not a contact link?

airborne_artist
8th Sep 2012, 17:55
A whois on the domain name should reveal the domain owner.

.uk domain whois here: Nominet - WHOIS (http://www.nominet.org.uk/other/whois/)

.com/.net/.org here: Whois.com - Domain Names & Identity for Everyone (http://www.whois.com/)

Milo Minderbinder
8th Sep 2012, 18:31
A Google search fails to find that photo anywhere else except the Photobucket page you've drawn it from

I presume thats your page?

Juliet Papa Bravo
8th Sep 2012, 20:31
air police, I think it was taken at Coningsby, and the aircraft would be just about pointing at the OCU line hut. Looks about 1974 ish.

Scruffy Fanny
8th Sep 2012, 20:32
I guess the picture was taken at Coningsby about 1978-79
The aircraft has low viz markings and no tail code
I would use it and credit the photo as authors collection or simply unknown- in your book put a note of thanks to certain unknown photographers with the offer of credit or payment ahold they come forward. I think making a reasonable effort to credit the original photographer plus pay a fee is enough. the people who simply copy others work and make no offer to pay are the criminals !!
Good luck with the book ive plenty of air to air shots of XV472 whe it was on19 Squadron - sadly it ended up on the landfill site at the back of MPA in the early 1990s when the F3 replaced the FGR2 in the FI

Tiger_mate
8th Sep 2012, 20:40
I am not going to run a moderators 'advertising' gauntlet so suffice to say that. [email protected]
Is selling this image via numerous media and in theory should hold the copyright on it.

500N
8th Sep 2012, 21:57
Tiger

Same position but different aircraft and photographed on different days.

However they might be worth contacting as they
may well know who took the photograph.

Might be worth sending a PM to Courtney Mil to see if he knows,

howiehowie93
9th Sep 2012, 00:03
I was a Liney on the OCU from April ’79 and the Jets had tail letters then and didn’t have repeated numbers on the Fin.
I think it is Coningsby because that looks like 3 Shed that 29(F) lived in but if it is the Toom is on Slot 4 or 5 at the Bowser pool end of the Front Line. I reckon there should be another light tower visible to the right, past the end of the brick single story building which would be 29’s Admin offices.
Also I’ve never seen a yellow Houchin and or ladders there either so it must be before then. We used Slots 11 to 19 on the Front Line , 20 was left empty to allow an easier turn towards the Perry track and 21 onward on the Back Line, airfield side of the Pan. (“ Don’t call it a Pan its an ASP !”) The OCU Line hut was also a 1 story building but on the end of the ASP which would be a long way off on the RH wing tip

izod tester
9th Sep 2012, 09:22
When that photograph was taken, the OCU line building was at the NW end of the ASP. The fin letters were put on in 1977, so before then. Also, GSE was painted green long before 1976 when I was frst at Coningsby.

Geehovah
9th Sep 2012, 19:12
Thanks for the replies Gents.:ok:

Juliet Papa Bravo
10th Sep 2012, 18:08
I know it's off topic but with reference to when the picture was taken.....I was there from Aug 73 to Feb 75. The aircraft looked exactly like 472 does in the picture, which is why I had a stab at 1974 ish. Some of the GE was yellow, some was green and some was both! The line hut was certainly somewhere in front of where 472 is sitting and although someone mentioned 29 Sqn if this picture was taken in 73 29 Sqn didn't yet have Phantoms. The sqns at the time were 6, 41 and 54. What a sight when everything was out on the line at the same time, 2 lines of Phantoms back to back for the whole length of the ASP. I doubt we'll ever see the like again:{!

Geehovah
10th Sep 2012, 18:52
I was there from Aug 73 to Feb 75. The aircraft looked exactly like 472 does in the picture, which is why I had a stab at 1974 ish. Some of the GE was yellow, some was green and some was both! The line hut was certainly somewhere in front of where 472 is sitting and although someone mentioned 29 Sqn if this picture was taken in 73 29 Sqn didn't yet have Phantoms. The sqns at the time were 6, 41 and 54. What a sight when everything was out on the line at the same time, 2 lines of Phantoms back to back for the whole length of the ASP. I arraived in late '75 and most of the houchins were green by then. Even Horace's Bedford was toned down. The OCU was in the hangar furthest North East and Horace shipped us to the line hut at the eastern end of the ASP before a walk to the jets. That arrangement continued until the OCU moved over into the HASs in 84. 6 and 54 gave their jets to the AD sqns and 41 carried on for a while afterwards. I'd say 73/74 is a good guess. As Scruffy Fanny says it moved to Germany before ending up in "The Pit". Funny thing is I may have inherited the navs hand controller.......

Nice pic that brings back memories.

Geehovah
12th Sep 2012, 16:08
Tiger Mate. Great steer, thanks and that worked.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.:ok:

Now, has anyone dived (dove?) "The Pit" recently and has an updated photograph? Maybe that would be too disturbing.......

CharlieJuliet
12th Sep 2012, 21:16
I see that I first flew XV472 on 17 Dec 69 whilst on 6 Sqn. I expect that centralised servicing was in vogue at that time, and so this was only a station jet. Anyone remember the fun that this system caused? I can remember trying to get aircraft out of Eng Wing and sometimes, due to differing unit requirements, an airframe could spend the whole week being re roled without appearing on the line. By Aug 72 I was back on 228 and flying 472 again.