PDA

View Full Version : Licensing information + modular advice

propilot9
8th Sep 2012, 08:56
Hi fellow ppruner's, I've just recently joined like many of you have to gain advice and some support about flight training! I'm a little lost when it comes to licensing and further I have a few questions about completing a CPL as part of the to-do to obtain later a fATPL!

When obtaining a PPL, what are the discrepancies between having a JAA PPL and a CAA PPL? If having a JAA PPL, are still capable of commencing a CPL course in the UK or would one require for it to be a CAA PPL? I'm a little confused about the whole JAA and CAA business.

Regarding modular training, from what I understand if you're hoping to become an airline pilot (ie fATPL + typerating), it's recommended to do the CPL ME/IR at the same school right? Or does it not matter? What are the typical requirements to do a ME CPL/IR course?

I researched and some schools in the UK seem to share these requirements:
-200 hrs (100hrs PIC, 20 hrs VFR, 300nm flight with 2 away landings, 10 hrs dual, 5 hrs night)
-PPL
-Class 1 Medical
-"170 Alpha"
-ATPL examinations passed

Is this right?!

Thanks a lot!

mad_jock
8th Sep 2012, 10:15
There isn;t such a thing as a CAA CPL and in a week or so you won;t get a JAR CPL either.

You will get though is a EASA CPL which if you have done your training under the oversight of the UK CAA will be issued by them.

The list of course and hours requirments are in a thing called lasors which can be found on Welcome to the UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk)

You need to sit down and print and highlight the sections one the CPL and IR which apply to you. Then make a plan including costings.

pudoc
8th Sep 2012, 10:28
To apply for the CPL license itself you have to have the requirements you mentioned. You no longer need to do a 170A but a lot of schools still do them, probably a nice way to make some money but it's also nice to do a practice test with a different person.

You need 200 hours to apply for the license, but only 150 (100pic) to start CPL training.

Also bare in mind that you have 3 years to complete your IR after your last ATPL exam or your exams expire and you have to do them again. You also have 7 years to get your ATPL unfrozen or you have to do the exams again.

Personally, I would stick to one modular school as I've seen some airlines require all training at one school.

500 above
8th Sep 2012, 11:46
Pudoc I'm not sure that's technically correct. As long as you renew the IR at least once every seven years the ATPL exams remain 'intact'. Everything else you say is correct I believe. Many of us are flying multi crew jets at the moment on a foreign licence and are having issues, many with full JAA ATPL's, if we have not renewed the JAA IR within the last seven years, the powers that be mandate we sit the ATPL's again. Even if we're current on type on a foreign register. 7 is the magic number!

propilot9
8th Sep 2012, 17:54
OK it's all much more clear to me now! Are there by any chance any known stories of pilots doing modular and with time getting to the right-hand seat of an airliner?

pudoc
8th Sep 2012, 18:35
I guess the chinese whispers effect took place when I heard about the 7 year thing then!

Dan the weegie
9th Sep 2012, 13:13
OK it's all much more clear to me now! Are there by any chance any known stories of pilots doing modular and with time getting to the right-hand seat of an airliner?
Yes there are, there are also stories of them with the tickets and not getting there either :).

pudoc
9th Sep 2012, 22:35
Are there by any chance any known stories of pilots doing modular and with time getting to the right-hand seat of an airliner?

I didn't see this earlier. The way you say it makes me think you need to research into all this more. Modular students get jobs just as much as integrated students do.

propilot9
10th Sep 2012, 15:25
You think so?! I never really gave modular flight training some thought until recently! I would love to hear more success stories of active airline pilots having done modular too!

Thanks a lot for the support guys, I'm new to the forum and some of this stuff!