PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Diamond Nine at Leuchars Airshow

EMU_1
7th Sep 2012, 18:53
Great news, RAF Leuchars just announced a Typhoon Diamond Nine at the Airshow on 15 Sep. Can't wait to see it:ok:

Announced on FB (http://www.facebook.com/rafscot) and the Airshow Web Page (http://www.airshow.co.uk/news/2012/sep/diamond)

P6 Driver
8th Sep 2012, 08:13
Will this be the only time in 2012 that the RAF fly a jet Diamond 9?

Background Noise
8th Sep 2012, 08:20
There was this one:

RAF - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Tribute (http://www.raf.mod.uk/gallery/queen'sdiamondjubileetribute%20.cfm)

.. and some for Valley graduations.

P6 Driver
8th Sep 2012, 15:15
Thanks for that - I completely missed that one, and was under the mistaken impression that the Reds were only flying 9-ships in other formations until they have a full complement again.

+SHRA
8th Sep 2012, 21:55
If this particular fleet has the airframe hours and crews, to waste working up a 9 ship formation for a little airshow then they need to take a good hard look at the resource allocation they take up for the Armed Forces and ultimately the Nation. Before anybody thinks that this will come out of normal allocation of currency think again. Is this getting the most bang for our buck in training hours? :ugh:

Finningley Boy
9th Sep 2012, 06:14
My dear fellow is this really such an unprecedented event in your opinion? You honestly haven't seen the great Balbo flypast at the Culdrose air days or the junglie assault, invariably billed at the little navy air day at Yeovilton each year?

FB:)

Al R
9th Sep 2012, 07:21
+SHRA,

I don't know about the tangible cost of this, but the value of something is sometimes more important than the price of it. It will be a fabulous sight and sound and even if the latte sippers do splutter (let 'em), the men and women who defend us deserve a reward too. And what finer way?

FantomZorbin
9th Sep 2012, 07:27
+SHRA
I was told it is for the 'Stand Up' of 1(F) Squadron ... ceremonial NOT "a little airshow".

A and C
9th Sep 2012, 07:28
I was most impressed when the perfectly formed nine ship diamond formation went over my house earlier this year, regrettably I suspect the show was not for my benifit..............RAF High Wycombe is located about a mile away !

bruceg
9th Sep 2012, 13:12
Log book entries 66 Sqn 1951-52:

26May51 Meteor 8 WA780 Festival of Britain Flypast Hyde Park (96a/c)
15Sep52 Meteor 8 WF680 B of B Flypast London (230a/c)
Plus all the reheasals leading up to these events.

23Oct52 Meteor 8 WE655 Linton Wg (24a/c) tangle/dogfight with
24 Canadian F86s from North Luffenham - very sweaty!

There seem to have been quite a few flypasts this year - Queen's Diamond Jubilee etc. How many aircraft and rehearsals involved?

Finningley Boy
9th Sep 2012, 13:56
It strikes me that every time someone makes an observation like +SHAR's the room for a counter is over whelming. It always takes us down the road to the conclusion that parades, tournaments, airshows, indeed any endeavour toward ceremony, tradition and public engagement, should all cease on the grounds of being a simple waste of ex[enditure. However, if that were ever to happen we'd live in a far more miserable and featureless world if we did.

FB :)

hval
9th Sep 2012, 15:14
Finningley Boy,

One side of me can understand the comments by +SHRA. After all, this country is in an era of financial duress. A larger part of me, however, totally disagrees.

Why do the military put on displays of equipment & skills? Why do the military partake in ceremonies? There are many answers. These include: -

1/ It allows the public to see what equipment their money has been spent on, and demonstrates the skills of those who operate and maintain said equipment

2/ It engenders patriotism within some of those who attend

3/ It allows the military and civilians to interact and to mix. This is very important as civilians rarely get to have any contact with the military these days. It can engender understanding of what the military does, it shows that people care about what the military does

4/ Tradition, which provides stability in a service persons life - or it can do. A feeling of belonging engendering that feeling of belonging to a special group of people; a family.

5/ To encourage young people to have an interest in the military, and possibly to join when old enough. This is a cheap way of recruitment.

Finningley Boy
9th Sep 2012, 16:54
Indeed, HVAL,

There is so much which can be challenged as a waste of money and time, but as was mentioned earlier, there are so many things which don't carry an instantly obvious return, but have a far greater value. The Olympics was one event which got the Schools n 'ospitals brigade protesting their point as if it had passed everyone by. Public deparments want for nothing in this country, and its been that way since the creation of the welfare state and I for one wouldn't do wiithout it, but a wander through any state body in this country would be a real eye opener if anyone wanted to see how money disappears down the drain.

FB:)

The Oberon
9th Sep 2012, 18:43
Oh do buck up , there was a diamond nine Typhoon for the jubilee, it was mentioned as being seen over Scampton on 18th. May, not really anything new.

BSweeper
9th Sep 2012, 19:06
HVAL

I am in total concord(e) with you. Like many of my golf club, we watched, commented and appreciated the flypasts of the vintage Lanc, Spit and Hurri, followed shortly after by the Reds, at Blackpool this weekend - for Southport I suppose. There were a couple of Tiffies also - with what was a possible boom - thrown in.

Magnificent to see and it makes you fully aware of our past and present, and for which we should always be reminded. Long may it continue and if it costs an extra £00.00001p on the benefit rate, so what.

The Sweep.:ok:

Sir George Cayley
9th Sep 2012, 19:11
The Grey Darts doesn't seem the same as the Red Arrows nor the Yellow Jacks.

I always feel RAF participation at air shows is entirely right and one only has to stagger out of hospitality to hear the appreciative reception it gets.

For me some live firing at low life, murderers and bankers, just to show some shock and ore, would be the crowning glory. :ok:

SGC

1.3VStall
9th Sep 2012, 22:42
Thread drift I know, but I saw the Vulcan displaying over Woodford this afternoon. Aaaagh - nostalgia!;)

Warmtoast
9th Sep 2012, 23:28
I thought Channel 4 mentioned that a Typhoon (or Typhoons) would be in the Monday afternoon flypast, although a Typhoon is not mentioned in the flypast details.

British Airways will lead a flypast with the Red Arrows over London to thank Team GB, ParalympicsGB and the home crowd for making the London 2012 (http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/london2012) Olympic and Paralympic Games a huge success. The airline has been granted special permission to fly over The Mall at 1,000ft during the Greatest Team Parade on Monday 10 September.

The flame-coloured ‘Firefly’ A319 aircraft, which was used to bring the Olympic Flame to the UK at the start of the Games will now display a special ‘thank you’ message spanning 13 metres on its underbelly. During its 20-minute journey, it will pass over the Olympic Park reaching The Mall one minute later at approximately 1541.

Scruffy Fanny
10th Sep 2012, 11:43
It won't cost a penny - its all training the aircraft are going to flown in close formation - as air defence pilots they probably won't need to practice- flying a diamond 9 isn't difficult - I imagine it will be a couple of fly bys - perhaps people are expecting loops and rolls ....they won't be doing that

pr00ne
10th Sep 2012, 19:34
Warmtoast,

There most certainly were.

Two Typhoons in a very neat and tight formation with a Sentry preceded the Red Arrows.