PDA

View Full Version : Pilots in Afganhistan flying 250 hours a month

A37575
7th Sep 2012, 12:29
From the pages of the latest Flight International 14-27 August 2012 under the title heading "Afghan Angels" page 26.
For civilian helicopter pilots salaries for pilots range from USD$600 to $1,400 a day..Some pilots fly up to 250 hours a month although re-supply firms might turn a blind eye to the hours flown....If a captain receives a basic of $10,000 a month and $100 an hour after the initial 70 hours flying time, he will notch up $30,000 per month or roughly $360,000 a year if he survives!

Of wide-eyed general interest and in comparison, according to figures quoted in the Australian media an A380 skipper earns over $400,000 AUD per year for far less flying hours - despite his flying being somewhat less arduous than flogging a chopper dodging ground fire in Afghanistan.

One thing is for sure. And that is I bet that helicopter pilots in Afghanistan could teach us all a thing or two about Threat and Error Management:ok:

Checkboard
7th Sep 2012, 14:08
That its a stupid subject invented in Canberra by some clown trying to justify his job?

If you're referring to Threat and Error Management, the subject was "thought up" during a partnership between The University of Texas Human Factors Research Project (UT) and Delta Airlines in 1994, and adopted by ICAO as an international standard in 2001.

Defensive Flying for Pilots: An Introduction to Threat and Error Management (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhomepage.psy.utexas.edu%2Fhomepage%2Fgroup% 2Fhelmreichlab%2Fpublications%2Fpubfiles%2FTEM.Paper.12.6.06 .pdf&ei=p_5JUN6dG8qX0QW6vYGgBg&usg=AFQjCNF_JT9SpoL5AUrW7gPW6mVzMrLm3g&sig2=7QCKB6C1Mm49ZqC0Li3s6A)

Metro man
8th Sep 2012, 01:14
Back when I started flying commercially I remember an operator who's pilots worked sunrise to sunset, seven days per week during their four weeks on tour.

250-300 hours was quite normal for them and as they were paid per hour, the pay was very good. However towards the end of the tour they looked like zombies and I would not have wanted to be a passenger in a car, never mind an aircraft, with them driving it.

I also remember one of them bashing a wing tip whilst trying to turn around.:hmm:

hiwaytohell
8th Sep 2012, 05:59
On the subject of flying in Afghanistan there are two books on Apaches worth reading: Hellfire by Ed Macy... excellent read, although it gets a bit tedious in the middle, and Apache Dawn by Damien Lewis, although a bit wanky in places is still a great read. If you buy both read Apache Dawn first!

They are a real eye opener!

catseye
8th Sep 2012, 07:18
Add Helfire to the list of afghan reads.

also by Macy
:ok: