PDA

View Full Version : How many people just get PPL + ATPL Groundschool?

RTN11
7th Sep 2012, 11:14
There seem to be a lot of threads recently along the lines of "I've got my PPL + ATPL ground school and now I don't know whether to do the CPL..."

How many people get the ATPL exams done without really knowing how they are going to fund the rest of the flight training, and then drop out at this stage? It seems rather a waste of time and money.

From my original ground school class of about 14 I know about 5 didn't go any further, is it an accurate representation that about 30% of people get the exams but never get a CPL or IR issued?

mad_jock
7th Sep 2012, 11:23
I would say its alot more

Some drop out in CPL training

Another batch can't get the money for IR.

Some drop out during IR training because they just can't get it.

Would be a wonderful statistic to get number of intail class 1's issued then compare it to number of full ATPL exam passed then compare it to intial CPL/IR's issued

The CAA wouldnever release it because its way way to commercially sensitive.

Things might change though once EASA is in charge we maybe able to get a european level of statistics and the CAA couldn't stop them.

seymoreskye
7th Sep 2012, 12:00
madjock:

I also discovered this on a previous thread;

"the CAA issued 1287 CPL (Aeroplane) but only 138 Instrument Ratings."

Just shows how many drop out during the IR stage or simply cant afford it!
shame

mad_jock
7th Sep 2012, 12:13
Thats not true though.

The statistics are given in such a manner you can't actually use them for anything. Mainly to work out how many pilots are hitting the job center V how many are getting a job.

The 138 is IR's issued post intial CPL issue. They don't tell you how many CPL/IR's are issued they are just chucked in with the CPL's.

Same with the type ratings no break down into intial or secondary.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Licensing_Transactions_April_2011_March_2012.pdf

What you can tell though is 460 of the pilots that qualified or renewed 5 years ago haven't got a multi crew job. Which means that its over a third with folk not bothering or not being able to renew a rating not made it to the airlines compared to the number graduating last year.

gordonquinn
7th Sep 2012, 12:51
IMO I think this happens because of cost, no one wants to invest money and lose out, so the logical choice would be to do the cheaper stuff first, since the ATPL theory costs about £3000 (you told me that :8), compared to the I/R which can be 5 times that.