PDA

View Full Version : Own up, who's flogging bits then!!!

chanter
6th Sep 2012, 19:08
RAF Red Arrows Hawk fuselage body panels (XX259/XX241) | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAF-Red-Arrows-Hawk-fuselage-body-panels-XX259-XX241-/261089540142?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item3cca26382e&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1203)

Rigga
6th Sep 2012, 19:20
Scrap dealers.

The control of excess RAF/MOD stock and scrap is....scrap!

NutLoose
6th Sep 2012, 19:32
And good to see he is donating 20% of what he gets :D

SRENNAPS
6th Sep 2012, 20:02
Looking at the sellers (8) feedbacks, looks like a chap that has decided to branch out into his own business selling bits of his knackered Landrover Discovery and realising a potential market of scrap:ok::ok:

Hats off to him for the 20% to Help For Heroes for the Red Arrow panels. A good way to start his eBay business :D:D

foxvc10
7th Sep 2012, 07:20
When you can buy 60 pallets of stuff for £2000 and some of the stuff clearly wont fly again youd be silly nowadays to give it straight to Mr Scrapman.

I quite happily sold one part from the 60 pallets that I purchased six years ago, (in OEM packaging) for £8000. With my outlay of £2000 and two lots of lorries its a win/win.

And the only customer I could have sold it to was the MoD as it only fitted .......................... Nimrod.

Things have changed a little now, I believe very few are impressed with the current disposal "agent".

mad_jock
7th Sep 2012, 08:07
Went to drive back a 4 tonner from disposal for a mate some 10 years ago.

When I did the walk round I looked in the back to discover.

1 4 stroke motor bike
1 BA compressor.
2 V8 engines which looked like 1 tonner landy engines.

there was more recover plates etc but those were the items that stood out to me.

A load of OMD 80 and a boxs of OX80 or what ever the brake oil was. It should have had hazmat plates on.

When we told them it was you bought you get rid of it.

4 tonner i think was 5-6k

BA compressor 10k (which was very annoying because they are like hens teeth and a bastard to get spares for)
Motor bike 5k
engines were sold to some 4x4 lot for 2k each.
OMD80 meant they didn't have to buy oil for a year and the OX80 for 5 years.

And then he still had the 4 tonner to make into a snow plough with a winch on it which should have been removed 6 years prior to it getting disposed of.

Buying disposal stuff has been likened to getting a lucky dip except the odds are in your favour.

ericferret
8th Sep 2012, 16:29
Many moons ago the MOD decided to scrap the Canberras and promptly sold off the spares.
Then there was an about turn with the decision to keep the PR Canberras going.

The purchaser was more than happy to return the parts to the MOD.
He was even more delighted with the huge profit he made on them with no marketing effort what so ever.

"Ministry of Defence, looking after the tax payers interests (I dont think)."

NutLoose
8th Sep 2012, 17:26
And remember the recent ad where they wanted to buy a runnable Jag back, which came from those they had sold them too... And no doubt at a huge profit.

mike-wsm
8th Sep 2012, 18:19
I recall a Dick Cheney decision to sell off any items not used during the year. The USAF dutifully complied and sold off their entire stock of spare engines. Redeeming them made a huge profit for the scrap dealers.

Those Hawks were from the Nov 87 collision, T1A fighter version.

scarecrow450
8th Sep 2012, 18:53
Got a Canberra fuel cap somewhere, just gotta wait for the MoD to want to buy it back !

NutLoose
8th Sep 2012, 20:17
Let's not forget the ultimate.

Following the war, Paul Mantz Air Service handled tasks including flying daily film rushes into Hollywood from distant locations. In 1946, he invested $55,000 in 475 surplus bombers and fighters, much to the amusement of his friends. At the time, it was the world's sixth largest air force. The fleet of surplus had cost the American taxpayers $117,000,000.

Mantz ended up bringing a dozen of the best ships to Burbank. His partners in the deal disposed of the rest of the fleet for scrap. First, however, they drained the fuel tanks; the fuel alone sold for more than he had paid for the entire fleet. Then, Mantz netted $160,000 worth of scrap aluminum, $100,000 worth of Plexiglas, more than 1,000 good engines, and a warehouse full of 6004-A oxygen regulators that an embarrassed U.S. government bought back, at $75 each, for their own postwar airplane fleet.

Airport Journals (http://www.airportjournals.com/Display.cfm?varID=0409007)

OafOrfUxAche
8th Sep 2012, 21:42
The USAF dutifully complied and sold off their entire stock of spare engines.

Why have a stock of spare engines? Haven't they heard of 'just in time' spares? You'll be telling us they don't do a fitness test twice a year next...

NutLoose
8th Sep 2012, 22:03
I recall a Dick Cheney decision to sell off any items not used during the year. The USAF dutifully complied and sold off their entire stock of spare engines.

I can see it now...

I say David I have had this wonderful idea how we can balance the books, we sell the Americans our Harriers, they will store them for a year and then we will buy them back at scrap value.

herkman
8th Sep 2012, 23:50
When I joined the RAAF in 1957, we were all issued with the 303 Enfield.

To comply with peace time rules, and at great expense the the RAAF had special racks with locks installed in each airmans bedside.

Then the 303's were withdrawn and we got the FN's which did not fit the racks and so all FN's were kept in the secure store. Then it was found for the FN there were no slings to be issued. The RAAF had sold all stocks of the 303 slings which interchanged.

Down to disposals went the supply staff and bought them back at a most inflated price. Eventually the brackets were removed from the airman's walls and the rooms repainted because of the patches.

Regards

Col

NutLoose
9th Sep 2012, 00:54
When I joined up in 76 for drill we had .303 Lee Enfield SLRs, these were 303's with the stock modified so the barrel looked like the SLR one, a grip and dummy mag were added and think a foresight, cannot remember about the bolt though.

fallmonk
9th Sep 2012, 22:07
Many years ago guy i used to delliver to had a ex army landi,
bought from MOD surplus auction . after paying his fee and on way home heard banging coming from back only to discover a automatic rifle!!!!:mad:

Went back to sale to hand back to army personal, a very embaresd person took it off him saying some one would be getting his bollocks kicked for it !