PDA

View Full Version : A problem

Machismo
6th Sep 2012, 18:10
I posted this on the dark side as well but I wanted to ask it here seeing that those on this site are more inclined to help than on the other.

Here is my problem. I have been working with a Chief Pilot with a company for a few months, since about May. I have flown out and met with him, and we went to lunch and joked few an hour or so. He told me that he liked me and that as soon as a slot opened he would be more than happy to hire me. I called out today to just do the monthly keep in touch call only to find out he no longer works there. I have had limited dealings with his replacement, however, my fear is that I put a lot of leg work into the previous Chief Pilot was it all for nothing? I tried to start talking with him around a year before I applied to the company, I don’t have the same chance to invest as much time with the new CP. Any advice?

Furia
7th Sep 2012, 10:19
I have only worked for large operators and surely never socialized neither had dinner with the Chief Pilot before being hired.
When a company needs a pilot, they usually tend to look for the most qualified avalaible, not for the most charming or nicest one around.

While it could be useful that the companies know about you personally and not through a CV. That is paying a courtesy visit once to their operations office, I am not sure if "courting" the Chief pilot would give you an advantage or it would be counterproductive for your goals.

Of course maybe in some very small companies this could be helpful, but as far as I know the way to get into the cockpit does not need to be mostly based on "social contact" but on experience, attitude, qualifications and most important, that the company you are interested in is hiring.
It is more a thing of being in the right place at the right time.
Do not bother the Ops people when they do not need new pilots, keep a good comms channel with them to learn when they may need pilots and keep updating your professional CV.

Hope this helps you

Machismo
7th Sep 2012, 11:19
It does, thanks!