PDA

View Full Version : Something Merlin engined out of Gatwick?

TurboTomato
6th Sep 2012, 09:02
Literally just now (10am)? Heard what I thought was the distinctive engine note but didn't get to the window quick enough.

Anyone able to confirm?

Sonorguy
6th Sep 2012, 10:37
From ARRSE, it was one of the posters on there's grandfather having his ashes scattered from a Spitfire. He used to fly one apparently.

Did a low pass of the runway, then a loop and then away. all organised and above board according to the poster on ARRSE.

boguing
6th Sep 2012, 12:29
I heard it too, couldn't see it though.

TurboTomato
6th Sep 2012, 13:33
ARRSE?! :eek:

Sonorguy
6th Sep 2012, 14:36
The information is from ARRSE......

DaveReidUK
6th Sep 2012, 15:49
ARRSE?!

ARmy RSE - Army Rumour Service (ARRSE) (http://www.arrse.co.uk/)

PPRuNe for pongos. :O

Tom the Tenor
7th Sep 2012, 09:31
May I ask if anyone was lucky enough to get in a few piccies of the Spitfire at Gatwick yesterday? It would have been some sight to see all right!

Is Gatwick as spotter friendly as ever, says he with tongue firmly in cheek! ;)

Thank you and greetings from Cork!

BoeingBoy
11th Sep 2012, 16:23
I'm afraid that I have sad news for whoever thought his Grandad was being scattered from a Spitfire at Gatwick on September the 6th.

The aircraft was G-ILDA from the Boultbee Flight Academy at Goodwood and I was the rear seat occupant. We were on an hours training detail and had completed a fly past near Crowborough whilst working Gatwick approach. They invited us up to pass by the field and the tower allowed us to make a 'low approach and overshoot', which we did.....it just worked out that in climbing away the aircraft was rolled in time honoured fashion. I think all who saw it enjoyed the moment....I certainly did from the back seat.:ok:

There was no scattering of ashes or a connection to any person's memory so I can only surmise that someone on the military forum has rather hijacked the event or perhaps like London busses, two Spitfires passed along in the same day!

As my friend Tom has asked above. If anyone has any photo's or video of the event I would love to receive copies. Please PM me.

Best Regards

BoeingBoy.