PDA

View Full Version : QF and EK marriage

ManaAdaSystem
6th Sep 2012, 05:41
And divorce between QF and BA. QF moving flights from SIN to DXB.
Good or bad?

ManaAdaSystem
6th Sep 2012, 06:04
Truly bad for staff travel if you are northbound from SIN and fewer flights DXB Australia?
Good news for SQ?

givemewings
6th Sep 2012, 06:19
Hmmm, EK FB page says 14 flights per day between DXB and Oz... how many are there now?

I'm guessing EK are gunning for the frequent flyers.... many of whom are starting to look elsewhere given the way Joyce has been going with the company.

Interesting to see how this one goes.

Edit: Has the dugong started Moscow then? According to that new website it's on the route map...

White Knight
6th Sep 2012, 06:53
Moscow in December on 380.

givemewings
6th Sep 2012, 08:25
Plenty of discussion on D&G: 5th September thread.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/494354-5th-september-qf-announcement.html

Thanks WK, the wording on the site implied Moscow was already a goer.

Sonny Hammond
6th Sep 2012, 11:19
Wouldn't be the first time a local has had it's way with an aussie. :}

TwinJock
6th Sep 2012, 11:56
The "Kangaroo Route” will be re-named to “The Falcon Route”!

Won't be long before passengers migrates to EK with its superior in-flight service :ok:

ManaAdaSystem
6th Sep 2012, 12:30
Won't be long before passengers migrates to EK with its superior in-flight service

Not too sure about that. My experience with QF is way better than with EK. What good is 4000 channels on your inflight entertainment system when it keeps breaking down throughout the flight?
Inflight service? Excellent in QF. EK cabin crew can't even be bothered to come to your seat when you press the call button. I went to the toilet and the crew was sitting chatting while half the pax call panel was lit up.
3 out of 4 EK flights have seen me arriving safely, but not my luggage.
And the ground services in EK? :yuk:

GoreTex
6th Sep 2012, 12:42
Mana,
the Ek crew is not here to serve passengers they are here for safety or at least thats what some of them think, not all tho, lol

Eric Carr
6th Sep 2012, 13:34
I think for QF it's the old "if you can't beat them..." strategy and for EK maybe a SYD- LAX?

MrMachfivepointfive
6th Sep 2012, 13:51
What about QF applying for services SYD-DXB-TXL or SYD-DXB-YVR which EK has been denied? Could such sectors legally be operated by EK equipment under codeshare?

Airmann
6th Sep 2012, 17:10
I think this is actually a very important moment in aviation history
For the last so many years the new Middle Eastern carriers have not been looked upon favorably. And I think many hoped that they would just disappear altogether. But this is the moment a historic carrier ditches its long standing deal with another historic carrier and teams up with the new breed. Essentially accepting the fact that these new carriers have their place in the market, and a strong one at that.

I doubt 50 years ago any Australian or Brit involved in aviation would have imagined that a day would come when Qantas and BA would break off a partnership so that one could team up with a carrier out of Dubai. (Which at that time looked like this

http://www.overseaspropertymall.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dubai1989.jpg

Eau de Boeing
6th Sep 2012, 19:08
Just remember:-

"It's for your benefit mate, not mine......."

FlyEmirates777
7th Sep 2012, 09:56
I would think Qantas would be able to move their Frankfurt rights to Berlin, since they're pulling out of FRA anyway, and operate DXB-BER with their own equipment on behalf of EK. Same with DXB-Canada. That would probably make the deal seam a little better to them...

Chock
7th Sep 2012, 10:37
No need for QF to do Berlin. EK about to announce flights to Berlin.

FlyEmirates777
8th Sep 2012, 04:21
Hope you're right re: Berlin!

Rather Be Skiing
8th Sep 2012, 05:07
No need for QF to do Berlin. EK about to announce flights to Berlin.

Probably not very soon with the new Berlin airport delayed another year.

groundtoflightdeck
8th Sep 2012, 09:52
Any spec on where this falls on the spectrum of hiring.... Poor, neutral, good?

Emma Royds
8th Sep 2012, 21:16
The Australian media have already made noises which allude to Alan Joyce being very much the 'Smithers' in the Clark vs Joyce partnership. I don't think this agreement between EK and QF will see anything done by 'QF on behalf of EK'. More like the other way round.

This new agreement gives QF more time efficient connectivity to Europe and beyond, than BA could offer via LHR! The bottom line is that QF will be feeding pax into the EK network that is going west and south bound from DXB. I can't imagine the opposite happening on a very large scale with EK feeding pax into the QF network from DXB, when EK covers all the same Australian destinations that QF will offer from DXB?

HumaidDaPlane
9th Sep 2012, 15:43
once sri lankan (previously named air lanka) was once in financial ruin emirates bought a large percentage of the airline which meant it was able to do codeshares so establishing a base in DXB
i think DXB may one day become a stopover for flights on the kangaroo route

old hostie
18th Dec 2012, 09:04
Will EK recognise all QF staff travel entitlements with this tie up?

fatbus
18th Dec 2012, 10:30
Ex 380-800 driver chill mate, no one knows, if you are lucky you might get bumped by a QF staff.

givemewings
19th Dec 2012, 03:08
It's an interesting question because for EK to honour ALL QF staff entitlements would mean them granting travel benefits to QF staff which their own are not entitled to...

e.g. in QF any flight/cabin crew who does not automatically get J class INT travel gets it after 7 years of service regardless of if they are the equivalent of a GR2.

They can also bring friends/boyfriends/girlfriends/same sex/defacto partners, something which is definitely not allowed at EK. You want your gf to travel with you, she has to pay her own way...

QF staff can avail space available J class if they buy the correct staff tickets- EK staff cannot unless they are FO, Purser or other higher grades.

*IF* EK honoured ALL QF agreements, I can see a lot of seriously p!ssed off employees... and fair enough, if they can't get it on their own airline the why should OAL staff??

My siblings can't even get QF or JQ tickets, yet my friends in QF can happily bring their mates.... doesn't exactly seem fair does it?

Praise Jebus
19th Dec 2012, 13:11
It's a code share is it not? EK and QF are not merging....so I would say existing entitlements stand, that is Z fare on each other.

givemewings
19th Dec 2012, 16:21
Of course we know we get no say.... I was just answering the question "Will EK recognise..." which to be honest, no I do not think they will. Hard enough to get all of their own staff on let alone others...

They are called 'reciprocal staff travel agreements' but the only thing that seems reciprocal is that you can get some form of travel on the other. They are hardly equal.

vfenext
20th Dec 2012, 09:48
ACCC-OK for Qantas Emirates Codeshare but for 5 years only - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdY5EIHxN_4&feature=player_embedded#)!

Capetonian
10th Aug 2013, 19:15
Alan Joyce: alliance with Etihad vs Emirates like "offered bike before BMW" - Flights | hotels | frequent flyer | business class - Australian Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/alan-joyce-why-i-snubbed-an-alliance-with-etihad-over-emirates)

Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce has compared an alliance with Etihad ahead of Emirates as "being offered a bike before a BMW".
How very smart of him. May it come back to bite him.

keel beam
10th Aug 2013, 21:04
Qantas is one of the few airlines in the world which flies to every continent.

I did not know that QANTAS flew to Antarctica?

CAYNINE
11th Aug 2013, 04:40
Yep....

LHR = Europe
JNB = Africa
LAX/DFW = Nth America
??? = Sth America
Multiple = Asia

Hardly extensive

bidabon
11th Aug 2013, 15:32
Yep, but what about the sub-continent ??
Not wannnting ?
:}:}

Avid Aviator
14th Aug 2013, 20:33
Yes, they do operate Antarctica charter flights (although no landing there!)

Is LHR in Europe?? Mute point I s'pose; I see QF are advertising they fly to 40 destinations in Europe and 100+ worldwide! Ha Ha!!