PDA

View Full Version : How can I become an Airline Pilot?

RSpeller
4th Sep 2012, 22:36
I am 15 years old, and have been flying a Piper Archer for just over a year now and love it! I have done 40hrs and the 'Human limitations and Pilot Performance' exam and achieved 100%. I will be 16 in October and so I will be able to do my solos, and the following year I can apply for a PPL licence.

I am also part of the ATC (Air Training Corps) which I also enjoy.

There's just one problem. I don't know whether I want to try getting into the RAF or if I want to be an Airline Pilot? At the moment I am thinking more about being a commercial pilot after an hour flight in a 737 simulator, but how do I get there?

I have tried finding the answers to my questions on various websites but there are multiple answers! How do sponsorships work? Do you need a degree? Is it cheeper in America? What else do you need other than a CPL? Do I need an IR? Where's the best place to go? Which A levels should I take? Who should I contact?

Confidentbeliever
9th Sep 2012, 09:53
Hey :) it actually varies. I'm actually pilot-wannabe too. i have an uncle who's currently a captain in one of the airlines and i was told that degree is not a need for those who wants to be a pilot. However, to some, it might be like a safety net,when pilot doesn't work out or you, you have another plan to fall back on. Also, some airline might require you to have a degree, but if you are planning to be a self funded student then degree wouldn't be necessary.

Next, you were talking about the ways right. You can either get an airline to sponsor you or be a self funded student. however, as far as i know, in asia, due to economical downturn, a lot of airlines have turned to hiring pilot who already has the license rather than taking in cadet pilot. and for your info, for a self funded student, it normally takes about SGD(singapore dollar) 200,000 to complete the course.

:) i am happy to answer any of ur question as I'm trying to find friends of the same ambition too :) feel freee to dm me. anyway, which country are you from ?

pudoc
9th Sep 2012, 11:39
How do sponsorships work? - they don't exist
Do you need a degree? - no, and I don't know of 1 airline that requires a degree (a degree is a waste of money IMO)
Is it cheeper in America? - yes
What else do you need other than a CPL? Do I need an IR? - PPL, CPL, ME, IR, MCC
Where's the best place to go? - only you can make that choice through research
Which A levels should I take? - sciences and math
Who should I contact? - flight schools for a look around, try to get work experience or voluntary work at a flying club

The big question to ask yourself: do you want to fly a jet from the moment you finish training until you retire (probably age 70 when you get to it)? It would get pretty boring. Too many people are obsessed with jets that they miss out on some great fun in other flying jobs.

You can either get an airline to sponsor

Only if your Dad happens to be the chairman of said airline.

BEagle
9th Sep 2012, 14:23
RSpeller, take a look here:

SYWTBAP - GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/careers-information/sywtbap/)

Good luck!

Confidentbeliever
9th Sep 2012, 16:36
I've been told that university is not a requirements to become a commercial pilot by a few people and some flying schools. However is it true that with a degree, you tend to get accelerated promotion? And also, is the www.gapan.org a reliable website?

redsnail
9th Sep 2012, 16:50
Confidentbeliever, GAPAN is probably the more reliable organisations around as they are not after your money. They aren't a training organisation. I know they have branches in Hong Kong and Australia.
Google them.

Also, you're looking at a different market than the Europeans/Brits.
In Europe/Britain and Australian airlines, a degree won't help you with promotions unless the degree is essential. (Engineering qualifications etc).

You would need to research the airlines you're most likely going to be working for.

pudoc
9th Sep 2012, 22:30
However is it true that with a degree, you tend to get accelerated promotion?

It's as Redsnail says. You won't be promoted to a training captain or a TRI because of your degree.

Paolo
12th Sep 2012, 12:51
you become an airline pilot with lots of hard work, dedication, focus and lots and lots of luck!!!!!!!!!!

from someone who knows....

Paolo

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Sep 2012, 15:09
Almost all job ads for crew in USA ask for degree in something, no idea what or why......perhaps it suggests you can listen to a load of cr1p all day and pretend to understand.....

Check out USA job sites and verify for yourself.

glf