PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating on simulator only?

scanavos
4th Sep 2012, 21:45
Is that true? Is there -in Europe- TRTO giving TR on sim only (no touch and goes on real plane) like the FAA does?

RTN11
4th Sep 2012, 22:30
If you have enough time on a similar type then yes.

Also, I believe modern sims are certified to assess the landing too, so that would also tick the box.

27/09
5th Sep 2012, 09:30
Is that true? Is there -in Europe- TRTO giving TR on sim only (no touch and goes on real plane) like the FAA does?

Like the FAA does......and the rest of the enlightened world.

baobab72
5th Sep 2012, 12:57
Hi
I am pretty sure that touch and goes are still required upon the completion of the training at a TRTO.
Based on previous experience the number of the touch and goes may vary but a minimum of 4 must be done, which based on my personal experience is a good practice considering that a sim does not fly like an airplane and flying the real thing does help you to acquire a level of confidence that is unmatched in the box - priciple of intensity!
Happy landings

763 jock
5th Sep 2012, 13:03
You do not need aircraft base training if the sim meets the requirements and you have the appropriate experience. I do not remember the exact requirements, but have been doing lots of ZFT training this summer. First landing is on the aircraft on a normal revenue flight.

In our TRTO we have one sim session dedicated to landings prior to type rating issue.

Capt Pit Bull
5th Sep 2012, 15:50
(As I recall... i'm sure you can look up chapter and verse if you wish):

You can be zero flight timed if:

1. Your experience is suitable (I dont know exactly what is required, but it is off the order of magnitude of several hundered hours in a comparable aircraft. For me, 1200 odd on the RJ/146 was enough to be ZFTed onto the 737.

2. The Sim is good enough.

3. The TRTO is suitably approved.

AND (here is the rub.....)

4. You complete an actual landing on the aircraft (on a revenue flight) within a fairly short period of time (maybe 2 weeks? Something like that). If you do NOT acheive this then the ZFT exercise in the sim must be repeated.

In otherwords, YES, but only in the context of an operators conversion course leading into line training. You can not, AFAIK, be ZFTed in the context of a speculative self financed type rating to make yourself more employable.

That's as far as I know, if I'm wrong let me know.

scanavos
5th Sep 2012, 18:26
Probably I was not clear. I was recently informed that there is a TRTO in Lyon, France (I don't know the name) giving the A320 TR to fresh pilots just CPL/IR licensed (250 hrs on SEP and MEP/IR). All am asking is if anyone has crosschecked this info.

763 jock
5th Sep 2012, 19:01
You will need base training in that case. Our EU OPS Part D1 requires a minimum of 6 landings for pilots with less that 1500 hours.

I would check very carefully what is on offer. Plenty of wide boys operating TRTO's these days.

FlyingStone
5th Sep 2012, 21:47
Just so there is no misunderstanding:

FCL.730.A Specific requirements for pilots undertaking a zero flight time type rating (ZFTT) course — aeroplanes
(a) A pilot undertaking instruction at a ZFTT course shall have completed, on a multi-pilot turbo-jet aeroplane certificated to the standards of CS-25 or equivalent airworthiness code or on a multi-pilot turbo-prop aeroplane having a maximum certificated take-off mass of not less than 10 tonnes or a certificated passenger seating configuration of more than 19 passengers, at least:
(1) if an FFS qualified to level CG, C or interim C is used during the course, 1 500 hours flight time or 250 route sectors;
(2) if an FFS qualified to level DG or D is used during the course, 500 hours flight time or 100 route sectors.
(b) When a pilot is changing from a turbo-prop to a turbo-jet aeroplane or from a turbo-jet to a turbo-prop aeroplane, additional simulator training shall be required.

OPS 1.945
Conversion training and checking
(See Appendix 1 to OPS 1.945)
(d) A pilot, undertaking a zero flight time training (ZFTT) course, shall:
1. commence line flying under supervision as soon as possible within 21 days after completion of the skill test.
If line flying under supervision has not been commenced within the 21 days, the operator shall provide appropriate
training acceptable to the Authority.

There is no way to get first initial JAA/EASA multi-pilot type rating without base training on actual aircraft.