PDA

View Full Version : So much wrong about this....

glad rag
4th Sep 2012, 19:58
BBC News - Royal Navy pay docked after £1.2m MoD overpayment (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19473388)

Any overpayment will have to be repaid, and in most cases servicemen and women will be docked up to four days' pay a month until the £1.2m is paid back.

So, once again, those that cock up make others pay............:ouch:

just another jocky
4th Sep 2012, 20:04
So, once again, those that cock up make others re-pay............http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/shiner.gif

Fixed it for you! ;)

500N
4th Sep 2012, 20:04
Not good.

This line
"while those who have now left the military will have to repay the money in instalments."

What authority does the MoD have to command people who have left the service to pay back money if they were not to know ?

Trim Stab
4th Sep 2012, 20:05
I don't see why you think this is wrong.

I'm just surprised that this went "unnoticed" for so long...

I suspect that if it had been MPs who had been accidentally overpaid for so long and none of them had noticed, there would have been considerably more outrage..

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 21:22
...but there wouldn't have been anyone above them to extract a sum of money from their pay each month. And these folk didn't commit fraud to be in receipt this money. Most probably didn't know there was anything wrong.

gijoe
4th Sep 2012, 21:48
...meanwhile Laws returns to the Cabinet...

Ho hum...

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 22:12
...yes, I was "delighted" by that too. Imagine an Armed Forces chap, thown out for fraud and being allowed back in (at a higher rank) a couple of years later with a note saying "All is fogiven".

Disgusting.

Trim Stab
5th Sep 2012, 06:51
...but there wouldn't have been anyone above them to extract a sum of money from their pay each month. And these folk didn't commit fraud to be in receipt this money. Most probably didn't know there was anything wrong.

It is public money - it should be returned.

So if "most" probably didn't know anything was wrong, what about those who did know something was wrong?

I was once paid twice an allowance - I flagged it up immediately.

charliegolf
5th Sep 2012, 07:29
Four days pay per month is a bit strong, granted.

But the outrage would be doubled here if the headline read, "Sailors underpaid by £x million- MOD says it's too late to put it right."

CG

Courtney Mil
5th Sep 2012, 08:29
I'm not questioning whether it should be paid back. My beef is that MPs, who ultimately make the rules, do not appear to be bound by them in the same way they expect other public servants to be.

vascodegama
5th Sep 2012, 08:52
Of course the system is equally quick to make sure people get their just entitlement such as the PAS and Spec aircrew Flt Lts who have been paid the wrong LOA since JPA came into being. Allegedly the PACC are looking into it!

newt
5th Sep 2012, 09:10
Line up the blunties who made the overpayment and shoot a couple!! That should sharpen the rest of them up so it does not happen again!!

PS Only joking:ok:

Courtney Mil
5th Sep 2012, 09:12
PS Only joking

Are you really? To be honest I thought you were, until you added that!

Jimlad1
5th Sep 2012, 09:26
So basically this story is saying that a small number of employees within an organisation that has over 35,000 staff received money to which they were not entitled. It is now seeking to claim that money back.

I'm struggling to spot the issue here - if they'd been underpaid then there would have been howls of outrage, and as all the pay slips often note, it is your responsibility to notify JPA of overpayments.

I appreciate its frustrating - I'm currently paying off a £1200 tax bill caused by an overpayment leading to a tax refund, which in turn changed to a tax repayment when HMRC got JPA to sort their stuff out. Ultimately though, its about getting what you are entitled to - no more, no less.

HTB
5th Sep 2012, 09:27
It's already been done:

Dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.
In this country it is found requisite, now and then, to put an admiral to death, in order to encourage the others.

Voltaire's "Candide" - observation on the execution of Admiaral Byng for being a bit slack at the battle of Menorca.:eek:

Perhaps a decent flogging would suffice, then at least you could use the miscreants again.

Anyway, the sum involved - £1.2 million - is trivial in the big picture; probably wouldn't cover the MoD tea fund for half a year.

Mister B

melmothtw
5th Sep 2012, 10:03
But the outrage would be doubled here if the headline read, "Sailors underpaid by £x million- MOD says it's too late to put it right."

I think the point people are making is that in either instance of sailors being over- or underpaid the fault would lie with the MoD, and so it is the ministry that should bear the consequences.

charliegolf
5th Sep 2012, 10:28
Mel,

so it is the ministry that should bear the consequences

Correct. Isn't the consequence in this case, that MOD must arrange the collection of the overpayment and suffer the slings n arrows in the process?

probably wouldn't cover the MoD tea fund for half a year.

Is free tea a perk in the MOD? I'm sure HMRC would like to know- it might be 'a benefit in kind'.;)

CG

Red Line Entry
5th Sep 2012, 11:09
Nice to see the pprune outrage bus on its weekly outing.

An under- or over-payment from any Government ministry should be rectified unless there are exceptional reasons why not. End of.

althenick
5th Sep 2012, 11:36
So much wrong about this....
BBC News - Royal Navy pay docked after £1.2m MoD overpayment

Quote:
Any overpayment will have to be repaid, and in most cases servicemen and women will be docked up to four days' pay a month until the £1.2m is paid back.
So, once again, those that cock up make others pay Back............

There - fixed it for you

I make that an average of £2800-odd per Sailor - Hardly a large sum by todays standards.

The only problem here would be putting people into hardship.

The starting Payscale for a confirmed AB is £17,515 to £28,940 I would aver that those in the crosshairs would be at the upper level and of a higher Rate so no one is going to starve.

And from the BBC Webby

"Where repayment of monies is appropriate, procedures are in place to prevent any hardship to individuals."

And

Servicemen and women are able to appeal against the decision through the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.

Some may not have to pay back as much or anything.

It was a balls up- endex - Take it on the chin - move on

NutLoose
5th Sep 2012, 11:47
One bod or bodess was in it for £17000..

As for MP's, should be the same as that Police Commisioner hopeful that had a caution and had to withdraw.... As an MP is supposedly higher up the food chain they too should be banned from holding office if the y have a criminal offence against them

downsizer
5th Sep 2012, 11:53
The point here is that the AIPs were claimed in good faith and approved by the adminers. To then claim it back sticks in the throat, especially as it was no fault of the servicemen in question....

Red Line Entry
5th Sep 2012, 14:55
So what if was approved by the adminers? Adminers are people too - they also make mistakes.

If the personnel had been underpaid and it had been approved by the adminers, would you be arguing that the MOD shouldn't pay what they owed?

vascodegama
5th Sep 2012, 18:12
RLE

That is the problem I am getting at in reply no 11

The blunties know there is a problem and have done naff all despite 4years of prompting but that is OK I guess cos they are human!

Actually one lucky person has got their money but instead of making it a read across to all in the same boat they seem to be hoping that the problem will go away.

Al R
5th Sep 2012, 18:28
Nice to see the PPRuNe outrage bus on its weekly outing.

An under- or over-payment from any Government ministry should be rectified unless there are exceptional reasons why not. End of.

Sure.. but given the impact on oneself and family, what about some measure of accountability?

Courtney Mil
5th Sep 2012, 20:52
Well said, that man. Doesn't often work that way, unfortunately. And they think that by putting that glib statement on the pay slip every month, they can shift the responsibility onto the serviceman.

Samuel
6th Sep 2012, 21:18
Well said, that man. Doesn't often work that way, unfortunately. And they think that by putting that glib statement on the pay slip every month, they can shift the responsibility onto the serviceman.

Quite right! I was overpaid once [different air force but same principle and system] and immediately drew attention to that fact and nothing happened! I then pointed out in writing that I had been overpaid, and nothing happened. Some months later, some shiney auditor DEMANDED that I repay the amount immediately and I took exception to the manner of the demand and refused authority to deduct. The issue eventually ended up at a very senior level along the lines of "this officer is refusing to cooperate in recovery of an overpayment etc", and to my great delight that superior office said: "you made a mistake of which you were advised twice, once in writing, and now you want me to pull rank?" I never did pay it!

Yeah, I know, I can be a stroppy bugger at times....:ok: It said so every year on my annual assessment: "Doesn't suffer fools gladly".:=