PDA

View Full Version : F-18 Low Level Video

rjtjrt
4th Sep 2012, 01:44
LiveLeak.com - Beautiful F-18 low altitude canyon run

tartare
4th Sep 2012, 05:14
Lower than a rattlesnakes belly in a wagon wheel rut.
Especially 3:57 onwards...

JEM60
4th Sep 2012, 06:17
And he gets paid for doing that!!!!!!!. Grrrrr [just envious]

Flap62
4th Sep 2012, 07:50
Frankly,

I thought some of his turns were very poor. Left them too late/not enough G so washed out belly up towards the outside of the turn - hey ho. Just my tuppence worth.

tartare
4th Sep 2012, 09:15
Really?
Having tootled around the Mach Loop in the back of one of the little black jets in another life, I thought he did ok.
After all, the ground did not rise up and smite him...

dead_pan
4th Sep 2012, 12:07
The chap must have an awfully stong neck - his head hardly moved during some of the more aggressive rolls. Either that or it was all done with CGI.

He did seem along way from his shadow on several occasions - he was just asking to be bagged by a ground unit or bounced from behind. And did I spot him taking a breather without his mask at one point? Yer big jessie.

Runaway Gun
4th Sep 2012, 16:58
No lookout. I could have bounced him in a Grob (gliding with no propellor).

Sun Who
4th Sep 2012, 17:54
Everything looks low level to me until I remember those crazy French guys:

LiveLeak.com - French Airforce Low Level Flying

Sun:)

just another jocky
4th Sep 2012, 18:23
No lookout. I could have bounced him in a Grob (gliding with no propellor).

No you couldn't, they're all grounded! :p

LMFAO anyway. :ok:

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 18:54
And nowhere near fast enough, old chap.

It's good, but I have to agree with Flap62, he's slightly behind it on occasions.

First.officer
4th Sep 2012, 19:06
Enjoyable video to watch.....just a question for those far more in the know than me.....the brief periods of inverted flight and then flipping back to normal attitude - just done for fun ? or is it to allow the aircraft to be pulled back towards the terrain without inducing negative 'g' if done in a normal, upright attitude ??

F/o

Baldeep Inminj
4th Sep 2012, 19:36
Poorly flown. An RAF student could fly rings around him. Tighter valleys, low cloud and fog, are all par for the course.

just another jocky
4th Sep 2012, 20:01
F/o....yes, he's used them to get the nose down quickly. Not always the best option if you are trying to hide (why else fly low level) from the bad guys as the constant flips can highlight you whereas a well-timed bunt would keep the nose down and reduce the chances of being seen due to rolling so much.

He does look a little inexperienced, several times he even over-rolls by ~90 degrees, even bunts as well once whilst doing that. Maybe it's an F-18-ism.

Still bloody good fun though and always beat working for a living! :ok:

Landroger
4th Sep 2012, 21:09
May I ask an uninformed, chronologically displaced and deliberately contentious question? It seems to my entirely untutored eye, that there might, just, be enough room to slip, shall we say, a Buccaneer - or two - underneath that gentleman? :ok:

I'll err.... get my coat, should I? :uhoh:

Roger.

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 21:18
No, leave your coat on the peg, pour yourself a glass of Port and pull up a sandbag. I have been the victim of a Buc pilot's low flying and I suspect you have a point. :ok:

Landroger
4th Sep 2012, 21:32
No, leave your coat on the peg, pour yourself a glass of Port and pull up a sandbag. I have been the victim of a Buc pilot's low flying and I suspect you have a point.

Cheers sir! I don't mind if I do. I think it was one of your Nimrod drivers who once posted - referring to Buccaneer pilots - something very like;

North sea, BombexYY, 210kts IAS, 100ft amsl, bomb doors open and one of you b@stards flew underneath us! :eek:

Roger

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 21:35
Indeed. It's one of the things they did best. Bloody good, but I don't mean to detract from the French pilots doing there thing in Chad. Very nice.

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 21:41
He does look a little inexperienced, several times he even over-rolls by ~90 degrees, even bunts as well once whilst doing that. Maybe it's an F-18-ism.

Well, yes and no. Common practice here, but 'they' started to enforce the idea that we weren't allowed to do low level aeros and more than 90 degrees of bank counted as such.

It is THE way to get straight down into the next valley after a rigde, better than bunting. It's an art.

dead_pan
4th Sep 2012, 22:02
Bloody good, but I don't mean to detract from the French pilots doing there thing in Chad.

Err, you may want to check yer atlas - I think you'll find Chad is pretty much landlocked. Not much in the way of sweeping beaches and lighthouses thereabouts.

Still, nice flying. Those seagulls won't stand a chance.

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 22:04
Err, you may want to check yer atlas - I think you'll find Chad is pretty much landlocked. Not much in the way of sweeping beaches and lighthouses thereabouts.

No, I was talking about another well-viewed YouTube vid of Mirage F1s very low flying in Chad.

Incredible low flying french pilots - YouTube (http://youtu.be/d93WqklSzBI)

Excellent music too.

Courtney.

PS I know where Chad is.:cool:

Landroger
4th Sep 2012, 22:13
I think Courtney Mil meant this clip;

Crazy Low Flying French Pilots 2 - YouTube

The most jaw dropping examples of low flying ever, to my mind. Note the casual use of a map! :eek:

I always understood low flying to be very turbulent - bumpy - except for Bucc's and, it now seems, Mirage. They are incredibly stable.

Roger.

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 22:22
That's the one!

The map clearly has all those little bushes marked on it.

As you say, it must be very stable. The low level aileron roll speaks volumes.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Sep 2012, 22:28
tiny wing = low level stable.

I liked it because it was the only fighter a Tornado F3 could out-turn.

Lunchtime in the Reims OM. Two French pilots having a half bottle of Red each.

"Aren't you flying DACT against us this afternoon?"

"Oui, but we're gonna lose anyway...."

Courtney Mil
4th Sep 2012, 22:37
Wouldn't want to fly like that without a bottle of red first.

Oh, and the best aerodynamics tip ever, Fox3! :ok: Let's write a book.

tartare
5th Sep 2012, 01:04
Ridge rolling is the name I think some people use to refer to the `roll to get over the hill' move... am I right?
That video brings back some memories.
MB339 callsign Falcon Grey - somewhere near Taupo in `95 - again in the backseat - did it a couple of times as a mere civilian nobody.
Falcon Black who we were flying with, was scooting along a river bed much like the one in the video - 50 feet up from memory... and faaaast.
We were looking down on him from I would estimate 100ft or so.
For a little air force, those RNZAF knucks knew how to fly.
Much respect and RIP 14 and 75.

Pontius
5th Sep 2012, 01:15
The map clearly has all those little bushes marked on it.

They're not bushes, they're bushy-topped trees. And we ALL know what those are for, don't we kids :)

Senior Pilot
5th Sep 2012, 04:25
there might, just, be enough room to slip, shall we say, a Buccaneer - or two - underneath that gentleman? :ok

Of course. Plus the accompanying Vulcan ;)

fly_surfbeach
6th Sep 2012, 08:25
Nice Clip :P

Tourist
6th Sep 2012, 09:21
I remember from a long time ago a video filmed from inside a strikemaster in Oman that makes all others look tame.
Anybody got that one?

Music by pink floyd if I remember correctly.

TomJoad
6th Sep 2012, 20:04
What's muppet in Russian ?

Russian fighter jet buzzes highway drivers - YouTube (http://youtu.be/J7aPx1VXOfA)

alwayslookingup
6th Sep 2012, 21:02
The vids referenced in posts 21 & 22 above are something of a cut & paste job from this one. It's probably been on here before, but if not pour yourself a small one, turn up the speakers and enjoy the full 19m 42s (especially the low passes from 5m 40s).

The Ultimate Wild Fly - Mirage F1 in Chad - YouTube

tartare
6th Sep 2012, 23:49
Wow.
Had seen the excerpts, but never the whole thing before.
Does anyone know the story behind this - what squadron etc.
I assume it was shot during French deployment in Operation Manta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Manta)
With all those cameras it almost looks like some kind of recruiting video.

tonker
7th Sep 2012, 10:16
This will scare the crap out of terry...

LiveLeak.com - Not What I Expected Would Happen... (very short video

stilton
8th Sep 2012, 08:29
ALU that was incredible.

Words fail me :ok:

mike-wsm
8th Sep 2012, 09:38
Low level flying with F-16 - YouTube

TWT
8th Sep 2012, 10:43
I like the bit in the Chad video at 17:33.As the pilot is adjusting a knob,the volume of the soundtrack varies in sympathy,as if the pilot is adjusting the volume of the music to his taste.Nice touch :ok:

glad rag
8th Sep 2012, 11:15
That's a ripped copy of Hegegutt's original of some 5 years ago.

F-16 Low Level & Aerobatics - YouTube

one of the best. just love it when the horizon bars chunter off the side/bottom of the HUD!

Viper= Cold War Spitfire!!

con-pilot
8th Sep 2012, 16:47
Slip your Vulcan under this B-52 then. :p

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/imagephpaid6202-B52-flyby.jpg

mike-wsm
8th Sep 2012, 18:07
Could certainly get a Canberra beneath it. Was CCF schoolboy passenger in a PR Canberra when we flew along the waterline of an aircraft carrier. I was half-standing beside the pilot, squeezed under the bubble looking up at the deck. Then we nipped round to photograph the other side. At 4½g, the pilot kindly told me as I got up off the floor.

Bevo
11th Sep 2012, 21:01
Ah yes. I can fly lower than you can fly. Then of course we have the radar display of the low level target at 40 nm. Fox 3. Closer to the ground when the warhead goes off.

http://www.f-15e.info/technology/avionics/radar/graphics/aa_display.gif

cornish-stormrider
13th Sep 2012, 18:16
Some mighty good wazzin there gents - one and all.
Hats off to you who dare - just please remember - stay far enough from the ground that you don't stoof in........

Balls bigger than brains is not a good way to fly - know your limits, even if your limits are a bit lower than what the book says so....

Locked door
14th Sep 2012, 10:24
This is my favourite low flying video. No taxpayer funding required!

Alexander Polli, Tracksuit, Wingsuit Flying: Reality Of Human Flight - YouTube

A2QFI
16th Sep 2012, 16:13
This low - as I know having served there for 9 years.

Flying extremely low in Oman - YouTube

A2QFI
16th Sep 2012, 16:18
This is low - as I know having served there for 9 years.

Flying extremely low in Oman - YouTube