PDA

View Full Version : Jaspers Brush

Trojan1981
3rd Sep 2012, 01:47
So who was at the flying club yesterday? Did you recieve any noise complaints after our training session in the 'bou?

Wunwing
3rd Sep 2012, 08:06
What were you doing training at Jaspers Brush? I thought the the whole point of the weekends flying was to be around IRA for the guests?
Wunwing

Trojan1981
3rd Sep 2012, 10:17
No, it's a historic flying organisation, not a static museum (for the most part). The aircraft travel all over the country. Also training at YWOL gets a bit crowded and noisy for the local, fairly high density population.

Ultralights
3rd Sep 2012, 11:53
great, another reason for the Berry anti aviation group to add to their already considerably large box of ammo used in their fight to get Jaspers Brush closed down....

screw the whingers, bring it down more often! :ok:

Trojan1981
3rd Sep 2012, 12:53
screw the whingers, bring it down more often! :ok:

I hope so!

I didn't even think about it until we got back and one of the guys had a quiet word about noise abattement. Judging by all the spectators outside aeroclub though I think the goodwill out weighed the wingers yesterday.

Gods country :ok:

Arm out the window
3rd Sep 2012, 20:45
'Noise abatement' and 'Bou' are two things that just don't go together!

I didn't even think about it until we got back

Hopefully you don't have to think about it too much in future either. Go forth and make noise, I reckon!

Wunwing
3rd Sep 2012, 21:00
The fact is that when operating historic aircraft in a rural/ regional area with a history of opposition to aviation, a week before Local Government elections, it might be prudent to "think about it" if you want the museum flying operation to continue after the elections.
Wunwing

Arm out the window
3rd Sep 2012, 22:04
Well, I'm not a voter in that local area, but if a similar situation arose where I live I'd support the candidate who encouraged aviation activity at my local aerodrome, particularly if it led to more visits by interesting historic aircraft.

In fact, a place being known as a centre encouraging such activity would probably boost tourist interest, leading to greater prosperity for the area.

Why would you assume that voters don't like aeroplanes?

Wunwing
3rd Sep 2012, 22:34
Because I am fully aware of the local politics and I want the HARS operation to continue in the Illawarra and neighbouring areas.

The fact is we are the minority. In this case JB airport is in the middle of farmland, not industrial like other airports. There has been a recent strong and so far successfull campaign in the area against owners landing their own helicopters on their own farms.

You don't win anything basing your actions on what you would like the facts to be. You win by knowing the facts and acting in a prudent manner bearing the facts in mind.

Whether we like it or not aviation and its accompanying noise is a huge political issue. We ignore that at our mutual peril. In my opinion it is not prudent to stirr the aircraft noise pot a week before a Local Govt election.

Trojan1981
4th Sep 2012, 02:03
The funny part is that the RAAF still cop the noise complaints :} .

Anyway, how can anyone call twin R2000s 'noise'?! :ok:

Arm out the window
4th Sep 2012, 04:12
You win by knowing the facts and acting in a prudent manner bearing the facts in mind.

Yeah, I know mate. Still, I think a decent percentage of the population don't mind the sound of a fine old aeroplane in moderation. Hopefully the objectors don't have the ear of the successful candidate/s too strongly.

CoodaShooda
4th Sep 2012, 05:18
You need some Top Enders to move down your way. :E

During the recent Operation Pitch Black, the NT News published an opinion piece by one of its hacks demanding the cessation of fast jet activity in the Darwin area.

He attracted around 90 replies. Two from peaceniks who believed all aircraft to be inherently evil and the rest from locals telling him to f&%$ off south as we love our jet noise.