PDA

View Full Version : B737 Classic, FAA rating: Initial

skinz
2nd Sep 2012, 04:22
Hi all need your advice on this one.

Where can I go for a B737 CL initial type rating (FAA rating required) ?
Best value for money with good instruction.

Also to convert from an ICAO license to an FAA can it be done during the
type rating on the B737-CL simulator ?

Thanks

MarkerInbound
2nd Sep 2012, 05:10
The FAA only has one rating for 737s, covers them all from -100 through -900. Most of the 737 schools use a 200 sim for their basic course and then you can do differences for the classics. Or pay more and do it all in a classic sim. Yes, you'll get a FAA certificate. There is no "conversion" above the private level in FAA land unless you hold a Canadian license. You'll have to pass the written, hold a FAA medical and get through the TSA mess.

As to where to go, google brings up half a dozen schools when you enter 737 type rating. Hard to say what's best for you.

skinz
4th Sep 2012, 07:46
Just to confirm,the initial type rating be considered as a conversion check ride as well for my license. Therefore, I start with an ICAO CPL/ME/IR and after a few ground school papers + medical + type rating course & check ride = FAA CPL/ME/IR + B737 endorsement on my FAA license. Not just a certificate that says I have done a type rating

MarkerInbound
4th Sep 2012, 14:14
Yes, officially the FAA does not issue pilot licenses. The FAA certifies you as a pilot so you get a FAA pilot certificate. Why we just call it an ATP and not an ATPL.

There really isn't any conversion in FAA land above the private certificate level unless you hold a Canadian license. What you are doing by holding another ICAO license is skipping the requirement to hold a FAA private certificate before applying for the commercial or in the case you apply for an ATP, skipping both the FAA private and commercial.