PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Torch?

The90sAME
1st Sep 2012, 22:09
Hello,

Long time reader, fist time thread starter.

I'm an apprentice line engineer, and I'm wondering, how bright should my inspection torch be for night shifts, for a general pre flight / post flight, walk around checks?

I've ordered a 154 Lumen torch today, it hasn't been dispatched, so I can still cancel it, I'm just wondering, is that bright enough, or too bright?

The main reason for asking if it is too bright, is, because I have a 45 Lumen head torch I bough today, and that's pretty bright, it clearly light up the top of the 3 story town house I live in.

The torch i bough is the 154 Lumen variant of the Fenix E21.

Regards
The90sAME

darkbarly
1st Sep 2012, 22:52
Never seen (excuse pun) minimum level lux/lumen/candela of portable hand held ilumination device specified in any aircraft manufacturers document such as the maintenance planning document or AMM etc. However for your fleet it might be. Have a look! Failing that your Employer may have specified it in the QA or other such manual.

Otherwise the Maglite 2/3 cell was the industry standard and most torches of the LED type are more powerful than the Mag.

There are perhaps two more important questions than yours?

1. Can I illuminate all the items specified in the Daily/line check list (eg: The fan OGVs from the back of the fan exhaust for stone or bird damage)

2. Will it work again when you drop it?

Cos you will. :ok:

The90sAME
1st Sep 2012, 23:10
Aha, yeah I cant find anything in our documents specifying anything about a torch.

The guy I was shadowing said its worth investing in a torch that was bright, I cant remember what brightness he had, he said something about a 200 Lumen torch, but I cant remember if it was the one he had, or one that would be too bright.

Yeah, the one i just ordered is safe upto 1.5 meters, but the chances of dropping it from higher are likely.

It'll definitely illuminate areas close, Im just unsure to whether it will be too bright, to the point your eyes hurt trying to focus on it at close range, hiding damage, or if it will be able to illuminate the top of the tail on our current largest aircraft, the 767-300, and the 787-8 (As of next year)

Dougie_diesel
2nd Sep 2012, 04:34
I've recently bought the new rechargable Maglite, pleanty bright enough for a 767 and with a 25% power setting for close up work.

I can also confirm that it WILL survive multiple drops from the tail of a 737NG ;)

grounded27
2nd Sep 2012, 04:50
I have gone from a 3 d-cell mag, to a rechargable mag, to a stinger over the last 20 years. I now own a 3AAA cell LED headlamp that cost less (made in China) than any previous torch but is just as bright. If you need a hand held rechargable and want to see the upper rudder static wick of a widebody in HD, the Streamlight Stinger LED is a winner.

vs69
2nd Sep 2012, 09:38
I find an LED Lenser P7 pretty good, small and portable and light so wont destroy itself or anything else when dropped from, oh I dont know, the top of a fin onto the stab for example.... I have been through about 10 head torches but number 11 has lasted the longest and its called a Gamma bought from a company called Alpkit, its very useful and still beats trying to balance a torch on a bleed duct when you are p!551ng about under a cowling in the dark.

The90sAME
2nd Sep 2012, 10:47
Cheers guys.

When my torch arrives, i'll give it a test, if it turns out too bright at close range, I'll take it back to Maplins and look into the ones you guys suggested.

Unfortunately the torch turns up whilst I'm away from home, so it'll be a while before I can test it...I hate waiting...:hmm:

Beech_Boy
2nd Sep 2012, 11:32
I would suggest that a lenser p7 is sufficient. I work on everything from hawker 800 through global express to BBJ and it has never failed me yet

Yeelep
3rd Sep 2012, 01:54
The Fenix e21 looks like it will suit you fine. From the specs I read, it has a 48 Lumen output mode as well as the 154. So using it close up shouldn't be a problem.

I've been partial to Streamlights for the last ten years, used on 737 and MD-80. Went through the Ultra Stinger, Poly Stinger and Stinger LED. Currently use a ScorpionX (200 Lumens) and a Argo headlamp. The only disadvantage someone may have with them is the batteries are (2)CR123A, although they have other versions that use standard size batteries.

N1 Vibes
3rd Sep 2012, 07:47
It's good to look at the FAA research on LED lights and difficulty finding cracks. Google "FAA LED Torch cracks blurred" and you should find the document. Therefore it's best to also have a good filament torch in your back pocket for detail crack inspections at critical points.....

Welcome to the Industry,

N1 Vibes

spannersatcx
3rd Sep 2012, 09:18
LED torches are banned where we are as it can be difficult to detect cracks when using them, I use a surefire (Chinese copy!).

The90sAME
3rd Sep 2012, 10:41
If LED's are banned, that must mean when i was told to buy an inspection torch, to not exceed 200 Lumens, I remember being told something about 200 Lumens, but I couldn't remember what.

I do have a mini Mag-Lite, which is an old LED, gives the same output as a filament bulb.

I'll look into non-LED torches, it doesn't hurt to have more than one torch.

Im back out on the Line tomorrow, so i'm not going to be able to test any torch as they Haven't come in the post yet :suspect:

In terms of aircraft i work on, to make sure it reaches the top of the tail on inspection, I work on; 737Classics, 737NG's, 752, 763, and as of next year, 787-8
Thats my only main concern, will it illuminate the tip of the tail, oh, and that its not to bright at close range it hurts my eyes to focus on it, potentially masking damage.

If any of you more experienced engineers could suggest tooling i should carry on the line, i'd be grateful of a pm. I know the basic tooling i should have, but what would you guys suggest?

fescalised portion
3rd Sep 2012, 12:37
All I carry with me on a turn-around is a torch, a #2 phillips screwdriver, a medium flat-blade screwdriver, an allen key set and some adjustable pliers, all carried in a fabric tool roll. You will be able to accomplish 90% of the things you need to do with those few basic items. The rest of my tools I keep in the van downstairs for when they are needed.
A lot of people have Leatherman-type multi tools, I tried that out but found they were not really man enough and it is easier just to carry the proper tool.

munster
3rd Sep 2012, 22:40
Don't worry about getting too bright a torch. You find less defects with a dim one!!!

ampclamp
4th Sep 2012, 10:22
I also use a Led Lenser P7 (190 Lumens I think ). Also have a Olight T25 with similar output. great for outside night work but even on low settings they can be a tad bright and white in some situations. But overall great investment.

darkbarly
4th Sep 2012, 12:55
https://hfskyway.faa.gov/HFTest/Bibliography%20of%20Publications/MX%20FAA(Former%20HFSkyway)/Human%20Factors%20Issues/Meeting%207/DesignoftheAircraft.pdf

Read down for Info on light sources. F-C stands for foot candle, an old standard that used to cause trouser fires:ooh:

grounded27
4th Sep 2012, 18:50
Hell, my flash light is just for show, the headlamp & leatherman are for work. The ink get's me paid. Needless to say the only backup I carry is a pen!

BluFin
4th Sep 2012, 22:53
Something complying with the Atex regs, (Fuel Tank Level 2), would be a better starting point that anything else FWIW most Mags don't comply

zac21
5th Sep 2012, 03:24
Pelican 7060 LAPD LED Rechargeable - Pelican (http://www.carryitcases.com.au/buy/pelican-7060-lapd-led-rechargeable/7060LAPD)

flame_bringer
5th Sep 2012, 08:15
I always use this one.
Cheap and bright enough for almost every job you're likely to come across,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Wilkinson-Sword-Ltd-627022/dp/B000IX17SS

spannersatcx
5th Sep 2012, 09:12
BluFin, that's great for base maintenance, this guy is on the line, fuel tank entry is not normally done on the line!

old,not bold
5th Sep 2012, 11:35
Spanners

LED torches are banned where we are as it can be difficult to detect cracks when using them, I use a surefire (Chinese copy!).

That has caused some interest, especially in one organisation where they specifically require LED torches to be used for their good lighting properties.

Could you please elaborate on the reason why the organisation says that LED light sources make crack detection difficult? We can't think of any!

spannersatcx
5th Sep 2012, 16:15
I can't remember exactly, it was something to do with the colour and intensity of light emitted.

BluFin
5th Sep 2012, 17:09
Spanners quite right you never get a line engineer within 50 foot an Aircraft during fueling. They are normally watching TV in the crew room

TURIN
5th Sep 2012, 19:37
If the OP is based where I think he is, then he needs to take account of the new rules that come in to effect from the 10th Sep regarding tooling and 'security'. :eek:

Re torches. My current employer has banned the use of all personal torches throughout the engineering department and has stipulated an expensive, rechargeable unit that weighs a ton and would give the Lighthouse at Alexandria a run for it's money. The ruling applies to line & hangar.

spannersatcx
5th Sep 2012, 19:40
As long as you have ToT on your pass you're ok!

TURIN
5th Sep 2012, 19:47
Nope, you need to have all your tools either in close proximity or locked in a secure place. EG back of a van. Trouble is CAA rules state that the van must be left open and the keys in the ignition, which I reckon means the back of the van is not a 'secure' place.

You can't make this up. :ok:

gas path
5th Sep 2012, 20:29
I just rely on these....
Much cheaper than batteries and ideal for looking for fuel leaks!:ooh:

http://www.vtpipes.com/images/requisites/swan-vesta-lg-matchesfull.jpg

grounded27
7th Sep 2012, 14:35
Yeah Banana, did you check out the sticker price??? $1499.99

500N
7th Sep 2012, 14:59
A good place to buy Torches and other bits and pieces
is Deal Extreme Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com)

Read the reviews first before buying, good products stand out
and Most of them have reviews written by people who know
what they are talking about. The products are often the same as
other branded products in the marketplace.

dixi188
7th Sep 2012, 16:26
Spanners,
Not sure why a LED torch would not be suitable for seeing cracks.

When I got my Led Lenser P7 a couple of years ago, I was selling a car and a guy came to look at it just as it was getting dark. I put the light on outside my garage but this only lit one side of the car so I got out the P7. This showed every little scratch in the paint to the extent it looked as though it had been wire wooled all over. Mind you he still bought it. (Welsh)

So I would think it would be ok looking for cracks.

Heatedfuelreturn
8th Sep 2012, 05:13
Sorry could not resist..... hfr

greatwhitehunter
8th Sep 2012, 10:45
Maplins do a Refrakta torch. It takes 1 AA cell, has variable brightness and focus. Its tough, I've dropped mine plenty of times. Being able to dim it is very usefull for close work. It's also small.

aeromech3
8th Sep 2012, 14:25
As it is for line work, will not discuss fuel tank torches . The Mag-Lite 2xD or 3xD cell is my favourite, Reasons: aluminium body, focus, sealed and almost Skydrol proof. But then I am old fashioned.

grounded27
8th Sep 2012, 14:42
The classic Mag was a pain in the butt, the switch cover is sure to fall out within a few weeks and within about a year they develop contact issued, can't count the times I have had to smack mine on the bottom to get it to light up. Only reason I owned one because it was the only light bright enough and available at the time. A.M.3, I am happy you have had a better experience than I have.

The90sAME
8th Sep 2012, 20:37
Cheers for the replies guys.

Finished my 4 shifts today, so im back home and just picked up my new torch, its pretty good, easily lights up the tree 200ft from my house.

But was it worth the £30? I'll have to wait until my next night shift, next week to find out.

Overall its a nice torch, my only gripe with it, is switching between the 154 Lumen output, and the 45 Lumen output, its not a case of clicking the switch a couple of times, you have to twist a few parts, which are pretty stiff, granted its brand new, bit of a pain to do if your hands are sweaty.

One more question, where can i get one of these can openers in the UK?

http://abrahamdist.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/bottleorcanopener.jpg

cedgz
9th Sep 2012, 02:43
led lenser p7, good for line mx
and also looking for this can opener, but in france

grounded27
9th Sep 2012, 06:14
Carried a can opener for a few years, became skillful with a quick jab and twist from my leatherman to pour and a stab 180 out for air. I actually had an old school spout for a while.

Wodrick
9th Sep 2012, 08:01
bit of a pain to do if your hands are sweaty.

Liney surely an oxymoron

The90sAME
9th Sep 2012, 08:46
The only advancement i have made on that can opener is that its a 'church key can opener' I can find them for sale in the US, but not the UK.

TURIN
9th Sep 2012, 11:30
For all your can (of worms) opening needs, see Here. (http://www.pprune.org/engineers-technicians/408318-opening-turbine-oil-cans-properly.html) :E

The90sAME
9th Sep 2012, 11:57
Cheers.

I found one in the UK on Amazon, so i'm now ok in the can opening front :)

HAWK21M
4th Oct 2012, 09:50
The Brightlite camelot Rechargable LED flashlights are perfect for line maintenance.

TURIN
4th Oct 2012, 10:59
They appear to be for sale by an Indian ebay shop.

What a co-incidence. :suspect::=