PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Clubs across the world

SOSL
1st Sep 2012, 00:32
From time to time on this forum we see threads about the Royal Air Force Club at 128 Piccadilly, in London. Posters tend to have strong opinions about the place for good or evil but we don't get to hear much about any other Air Force Clubs.

What about you guys from the rest of the world? Do you have similar clubs? What are they like? Do you hate them or love them etc etc?

I once stayed at the Casa Del Aviatores (sp?) in Rome and I loved it.

The next evening (after quite a lot of pasta, Chianti etc) I was mugged, kidnapped and finally dumped on the outskirts of Rome at 1 o'clock in the morning wearing only my shreddies. This coloured my view of the trip; but, nonetheless, the Casa was a delightful place to stay.

Any stories, views or rumours about your own clubs?

Rgds SOS

P.S. The mugging happened just outside the Banco Lavore near the central railway terminus in the city centre - it was nothing to do with the Casa Del Aviatores.

NutLoose
1st Sep 2012, 01:13
The next evening (after quite a lot of pasta, Chianti etc) I was mugged, kidnapped and finally dumped on the outskirts of Rome at 1 o'clock in the morning wearing only my shreddies. This coloured my view of the trip; but, nonetheless, the Casa was a delightful place to stay.

Blimey.. Did they let you back in without a tie?

Lima Juliet
1st Sep 2012, 07:21
Spanish Air Force Club in Madrid is good and very central :ok:

lj101
1st Sep 2012, 07:37
Paris - Ditto.

Very classy entrance and reception area, my room was larger than the average hotel room (as was the en suite) , welcoming French staff.

I'm not a member of the RAF club but when I rang to book, they said a military ID would suffice :ok:

isaneng
1st Sep 2012, 07:42
Apologies, off thread, but the Marine Memorial Club in San Fran is excellent for anyone looking for accommodation there, accepts UK service personnel with ID.

SOSL
1st Sep 2012, 09:39
Thanks for the tips, guys.

NutLoose said "Blimey.. Did they let you back in without a tie? "

Had to sneak in round the rear entrance wearing a pair of overalls lent by the Rome police - good guys who also make fantastic coffee.

Rgds SOS

Not Long Here
1st Sep 2012, 11:38
The Cercle Naval Clubs around the French bases such as Brest were great places to stay with the family.

Not sure about being able to stay there now - as in my time the UK actually had an LRMP whose crews liaised with the French Navy Atlantique crews. With much Red wine on their part and surprise on our part about the French fondness for beer. :ok: