PDA

View Full Version : The Domino Effect

seymoreskye
31st Aug 2012, 16:09
I think its safe to say that around the world* the Airline industry is "stuttering" along, Seems to me that in the Airlines that are recruiting, they are recruiting for a very brief period of time OR incorporate daft T&C's, exploit the market and offer short term contracts.

It also seems that - Myself included- people are still joining the industry in droves from all walks of life

It also seems there is a LARGE amount of both experienced and Low-hour Pilots currently out of work waiting for that opportunity of employment

It also seems that those currently in employment are looking at a long wait for Seniority to budge due to lack of movements.(retirement age this year may help that)

So my question is:

Due to this stalemate and F/O congestion, Surely even if the industry does pick up or at leasts moves on more steadily there has got to be that preconception of when you join an Airline you must expect to either NEVER get command or wait almost over 20+ years before accepted?

I am not talking about right now, I am saying in the next 10 years or so, could this be a big problem?

Please don't think this is my focus at my time in the industry, to me at the moment its the fight to survive nor am I an expert as I am still fresh to the industry, its just a thought i had!

*Maybe more applicable in EU, USA & AUS?

SVoa
1st Sep 2012, 09:43
The aviation industry, and especially the flight deck industry is always changing. The way I see it, is that alot of pilots join the industry with the mind set of 20 years ago. Terms and conditions will NEVER EVER be as they were 20 years ago. I always see posts with people saying that for example, 2000euro per month for an F/O is "flying for peanuts". Yes for the resposibility we have as pilots, in a grand perspective it is peanuts. However the industry has adapted to these wages and this will never change. It will only get worse.

Pilots have different goals in their career. Some dont care about money or seniority, and only care about flying jets. Others care about getting command as fast as possible, even on a turbo props. Other will go and run after jobs that give them money, regradless of where and what they fly. The industry has picked up, there are quite a few airlines hiring. BUT, and this is a big but, the playing field has changed. Now you get more and more guys and gals doing self sponsored TR's. So for someone out of flight school with just a fATPL, the playing field is seriously uneven. Also, chances of finding a job (in EU) differs from country to country. So depending on where you are from, you also have different chances of finding a job.

What I plan to do for my career is just get hours, and take everything as it comes. As long as you are in the industry your Ok. Dont sweat it, dont think about what might happen in 10 years, dont think about when you will get command, dont think about anything. If you have a passion for flying, fly.. and the wind will take you where you have to go :ok:

seymoreskye
1st Sep 2012, 10:15
Yeah it's why focusing on the T&Cs in 2012 is easier for a low-hour to plan his career, don't get me wrong I personally would love to have it "the way it was" but it's never going to recover in that sense.
The Air travel industry has almost become "boring" for everyone these days as its now not a privilege to fly but infact its now the "norm" to travel by Air. This inadvertently creates Low cost travel which result in low cost expenditure in the business's. I think it's a big shame but that's the way it seems these days.
The legacies and Asia still look good though to those that aspire!

KAG
3rd Sep 2012, 03:44
when you join an Airline you must expect to either NEVER get command or wait almost over 20+ years before accepted?

20 years from now? High oil price and airplanes without pilots (or only one?) will make your question above unvalid, unfortunately.