PDA

View Full Version : Airlink Interview

Raptor_F22
31st Aug 2012, 12:48
Hey there aviators!

I've done a search of the forum and have come up empty.
I have to prepare for an Interview that is coming up and need some help.

Thus far I know that I need to have a good knowledge of the following:
1) Jepp
2) AWOPS
3) Part 121
4) Good knowledge of the a/c I'm currently flying
5) Company history and background

I'm battling with the following:
1) Which routes which a/c fly?
2) What is meant by catching the cabin, what are the risks of it and are most aircraft designed with safety features in place to prevent it?

One question that I'm not sure of is do Airlink operate under Part 121 or 91 or both?
I think its just Part 121 but am not 100% sure.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

skywalker001
6th Sep 2012, 08:20
Catching the cabin. I presume you're not currently flying a pressurised aircraft? When cruising at FL250 for example, the cabin altitude will be somewhere below 10,000ft (depending on aircraft type and service ceiling). As the aircraft descends, the cabin altitude will descend proportionally at a cabin ROD which is comfortable for passengers and crew. The problem comes in when the pressurisation controller maintains a preselected cabin ROD (for example: 500fpm) as oppose to regulating the cabin altitude proportionally to the aircraft ROD. If the aircraft descends too quickly, it will at some point pass through the same altitude to which the cabin is pressurised. The resulting pressure differential is zero, and the cabin then descends with the aircraft rendering the cabin unpressurised. With the cabin descending at 3,000 or 4,000fpm or more, it can be extremely uncomfortable (Barotrauma) and potentially dangerous especially for babies and passengers with sinus obstruction. Keep in mind this only really occurs on aircraft with very simple pressurisation systems like a Kingair. To prevent it, the pilot can set a slightly higher cabin ROD (perhaps 800fpm).
To further answer your question: Yes, most aircraft have a sophisticated enough pressurisation controller to prevent ever 'catching the cabin'. As I mentioned above, the cabin ROD is controlled to ensure minimum discomfort to pax and crew.

As for which part Airlink operate under, it most certainly would be Part 121 - Commercial Air Transport Large Aircraft. Even the J41 qualifies as a Part 121 aircraft with a MCM > 5,700kg. Part 91 - General Operating and Flight Rules is equally relevant. For example, planning minima for an IFR flight (AWOPS) is listed under Part 91.07.8. Recency (to operate as PIC carrying pax..... etc. To operate as PIC during an instrument approach in IMC..... etc.) is all listed under Part 91.02.4.

Sorry, I have no clue which Airlink routes are operated by which aircraft. Send me a PM if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to help. Study hard and good luck. :ok:

(P.S. Post on Avcom if you haven't already. You're more likely to find information on Airlink there).