PDA

View Full Version : Large Forest fire NW of Malaga

Phalconphixer
31st Aug 2012, 09:57
A series of large forest fires are burning out of control to the NW of AGP.
Multiple fire fighting aircraft, fixed wing and rotary, are operating in the area. Areas affected are in an arc from Marbella round to Mijas, Alhaurin el Grande, Coin, and Ojen. All are within 20Kms of AGP.
More news here...
Un incendio avanza sin control por la sierra de Málaga y obliga a desalojar a 5.000 personas - RTVE.es (http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20120831/incendio-coin-llega-marbella-obliga-cortar-ap-7/560741.shtml)

Doesn't appear to be impacting ATC movements flights seem to be arriving departing on time. Crew and Pax will definitely be able to see the fires when approaching from the Northwest...

Northbound Traffic departing from AGP seems to be heading out to sea as normal then taking a hard right turn through 270 degrees crossing AGP at right angles in the climb...

H. Hughes
31st Aug 2012, 10:16
The right turn you observe is the runway 13 SID Bailen 2 C. Standard issue for northbound departures off rwy 13. There is also the Bailen 2 H which entails a left turn towards Bailen buth albeit less track miles it is seldom used. Not sure, but me thinks this is due to it crossing the MAP sector off rwy 12, and/or terrain issue to the northeast.

So the right turn after TO on 13 for northerly departures is not due to the fire, it is business as usual.

Phalconphixer
31st Aug 2012, 10:55
OK Thanks for that.

Not seen the details for those SIDs before so I wasn't aware that they existed! More used to the normal left turn after take off for Bailen.

Needless to say I'm not a pilot, my background is as an avionics engineer.

However, I thought the info was relevant and might be useful to those using AGP in the next 24hrs

I have what I thought was up to date info for SID's and STARS for Malaga, Seville and Granada but clearly I need to update!

Whilst the Bailen 2 departures might be business as usual, pax on the LHS of departing aircraft will certainly get a grandstand view!
Thanks again.

MrHorgy
31st Aug 2012, 13:57
I'd love to know why it is ATC stubbornly refuse use the shorter BLN departure, and make us fly the stupid one with all the excess track miles. We arrived BACK over AGP when flying the departure, 11 minutes into flight and at 20,000ft - having got precisely nowhere.

Phalconphixer
31st Aug 2012, 14:23
Mr Horgy...

Having looked at the updates I referred to earlier, I just wonder if its a case of avoiding confliction with landing traffic on RW12... in the case of a go-around or missed approach being necessary off a 12 arrival, a left turn off 13 could be a bit hazardous... As Mr Hughes suggests, I guess it also ensures that a departing aircraft is well clear of all that cumulo-granite to the North of AGP...
I know what you mean about track miles and time spent getting nowhere other than up though!

Flying Wild
31st Aug 2012, 15:03
You mean the Runway 12 which is hardly ever used?

Johnny F@rt Pants
31st Aug 2012, 15:51
And the missed approach altitude off 12 is considerably lower than the altitude you'll have reached by the time you've flow out to commence the left turn.

Having said all that, I requested the 2H SID on 1st contact with departures this morning and was given a radar vectored equivalent:ok:, I nearly fell off my perch:}. Not sure whether this was recompense for the diabolical ATC from requesting push-back to the take off roll during which my departure clearance was amended!!:=:=!!

Apart from the departure routing AGP ATC this morning was far more shambolic than usual with very little traffic overall to "manage":\.

Never saw the fires, just the fire fighting aeroplanes, but it was mostly dull and cloudy when I was there.\

Flying Wild
31st Aug 2012, 16:05
And the missed approach altitude off 12 is considerably lower than the altitude you'll have reached by the time you've flow out to commence the left turn.

Having said all that, I requested the 2H SID on 1st contact with departures this morning and was given a radar vectored equivalent:ok:, I nearly fell off my perch:}. Not sure whether this was recompense for the diabolical ATC from requesting push-back to the take off roll during which my departure clearance was amended!!:=:=!!

Apart from the departure routing AGP ATC this morning was far more shambolic than usual with very little traffic overall to "manage":\.

Never saw the fires, just the fire fighting aeroplanes, but it was mostly dull and cloudy when I was there.\

Was that your flight given the amended departure altitude during the take off roll? Just remember "controller on the job training, monitored"...!!!

Johnny F@rt Pants
31st Aug 2012, 17:43
Aye, 'twas me:mad:!

That after being lined up to be ready for immediate then asked whether we were indeed on the runway (we were), followed by a panicked instruction to the EZY on final to slow down and then being cleared for immediate take off with the revised altitude as we went through 60kts:=.

Wasn't just that though, each controller from Delivery through to Ground and finally Tower were less than competent and displayed distinct lack of situational awareness:rolleyes:.

Flying Wild
31st Aug 2012, 17:59
They'd never cope with being at a proper busy airport! The Easy was miles away, so not sure what the panic was?!

We had a right laugh in the cockpit about that.

PPRuNe Pop
31st Aug 2012, 19:11
This getting out of hand. Cut out the antagonistic comments please.

Back to topic and not snide abuse or anything else.

PPP

Phalconphixer
14th Sep 2012, 16:55
Aha... I wondered what had happened to my thread! Put in my second post and then the whole thing disappeared without a trace... nothing to suggest it had been moved to A. A and R. Have to admit I got a bit miffed at first thinking I had somehow upset the mods and the thread subsequently deleted.
Don't visit this particular portion of pprune very often other than to glean the latest scandal from SOU, BOH and DTV all of which hold a place close to my heart.
Gentlemen you be pleased to hear that from a mere SLF standpoint movements at AGP seem pretty good normally though from what I gather from some of the posts here its a bit like a duck on the water... smooth and serene above the waterline but paddling furiously beneath.
If any of you are involved in the SOU-AGP-SOU Flybe route, my wife has nothing but praise for you guys... My only beef would be the variation in timings with the day of the week... only Saturday timings fit in with our logistical situation! From a purely selfish point of view we would much prefer it if the routing was SOU-GRX-SOU.
Since Monarch pulled out (or were forced out of GRX by a certain Irish loco cowboy outfit that has since pulled out itself because the local government wouldn't play ball with it's blackmailing demands), our local airport just 15 minutes away from our door is now just like Sleepy Hollow... and possibly in the not too distant future, a candidate for closure...
Thanks again for the comments.