PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma...

TheFirstDohrnPilot
31st Aug 2012, 09:21
OK, so... I have just started my last year of school. The courses I'm doing this year don't amount to anything great, and I hate it. It is sooooooo boring!!! :{ So, I thought about leaving school. But I can't start flight training just yet (for private reasons, don't ask...lol). My dad would let me quit school, but only if i do something worthwhile instead - which is fair enough.

So, I've been looking online for distance learning courses which would in some way or another come in handy for my later piloting career (getting a job, etc.). I have looked at the Open University and could really find anything. I have also looked for online ''aviation courses'', but can't find anything quite suitable. They're all like 'aviation medicine' and 'degrees in ATC'... so on so forth...

I need a course that will be worthwhile, wont take years to complete, is reasonably priced (up to £250 max), and will help me get a job as a pilot in the future. Bear in mind that I'm only 17.

Is there anyone out there who has done a course like that? Is it worthwhile?

Genghis the Engineer
31st Aug 2012, 09:43
You won't like the answer, but you're already there.

A/AS levels in good solid subjects are what you need, or if your GCSEs aren't very good, repeating those.

Concentrate on solid basic subjects that involve writing or doing sums! So, Make absolutely sure that you have good maths, english and science GCSEs, and similar AS levels.

Do not, I repeat do not, get sidetracked at your current age by apparently tailored courses in fun sounding subjects. They come a bit later, but not now. If your school has allowed you onto such courses (media studies, film studies, critical thinking, forensic science...) drop them and get yourself back onto courses with academic credibility.

You are, now, at school, building up the work ethic and basic study skills that will get you to the point of being able to study to become a professional pilot. And it's all being paid for by the state - an opportunity that's unlikely to come again.

Sorry, not the answer you were hoping for, but the truth.

In between, use the public lending library, spend time reading up on aviation - showing enthusiasm and building knowledge in other words. And again, all already paid for. School is fairly demanding of time, but not so demanding that you can't read, join the Air Cadets, become a junior member at your local gliding club...

Hobby involvement with aviation plus a good solid set of study skills, as shown by your school results, are what you need right now.

Halfwayback
31st Aug 2012, 10:46
Genghis has given you a straight answer and I concur fully.

You won't get sounder advice - like it or lump it so I'm closing the thread

HWB