PDA

View Full Version : GA in Port Moresby

Neo-Flite
31st Aug 2012, 03:44
For my sins I have been told to go work in Port Moresby for a month. Which means I will miss my pootling about in a PA28 here in Alberta, Canada.

Is there anyone out there flying for fun in PNG willing to let an aged (56) low-hour (150-something) tag along for some flying time to keep my hand in? I also have minimal time in C172.

Estimated arrival in POM mid-Oct, as I said, for four weeks.

Willing to pay for beer and avgas (not in that order, though).

chimbu warrior
31st Aug 2012, 08:36
It would require a Certificate of Validation of your Canadian licence, for which you would need a Verification Letter from Transport Canada (basically letter from TC saying that you really do hold a licence); obtaining a PNG licence takes a while.

Only thing you may possibly be able to rent is a C206, but realistically you are going to be restricted to circuits at POM, as without either PNG experience or considerable training, no-one will let you loose to fly anywhere else. Wouldn't be a cheap exercise either.

Chimbu chuckles
31st Aug 2012, 08:47
But what you will probably have no trouble doing is going for a fly with some of the local bush pilots - RHS of course - but will be an eye opener for you.:ok:

Jabawocky
31st Aug 2012, 11:41
Neo

I think Chimbu chuckles has hit the nail on the head.

Forget flying yourself around, you will most likely end up dead!

Do go seeking MAF or others to see if you can tag along.

But first, do a search of both Chimbu Warrior and Chumbu Chuckles posts. Use PNG in the search field perhaps, but spend a few hours going through their posts.

Chuckles in particular. Some will make your eyes :eek: some will make your eyes :sad: or even :{ but the vast majority will make your eyes do :sad::eek::uhoh::ooh::{:eek::uhoh::eek:

:ok:

Neo-Flite
31st Aug 2012, 15:59
To both Chimbu and chimbu, thanks. I still have some time to get that TC letter, though perhaps the PNG process can't be fit inside a month.

Sitting right seat wouldn't bother me - I am sure I'd both learn some stuff and see things I would never see here in the Great White North. Wonder if you could de-code MAF and suggest how he/she/they might be contacted?

To Jabawocky, thanks, too. In fact, I spent too long out of my work day reading PNG horror stories off of the pprune threads, but got a couple of good laughs along the way. Unfortunately both chuckles and warrior are, like you, prolific posters and I haven't yet reached the end of your stories - I hope to though.

Thanks for your help - anything more truly appreciated.

Neo

tail wheel
31st Aug 2012, 20:37
MAF is the Missionary Aviation Felowship. From my recollections MAF don't operate out of Port Moresby.

Go along to the Aero Club in Port Moresby and chat with the GA guys. Someone will take you along for the ride.

I doubt you will find any light SE aircraft in PNG. Even the C185s and C206s are disappearing in favour of SE turbine aircraft.

chimbu warrior
31st Aug 2012, 22:43
Air Sanga out of POM might be your best bet for a bit of right seat flying.

rjtjrt
31st Aug 2012, 22:53
Neo Flite
While you are in PNG, get all the charts you can of the area.
When you return to Canada, and recal your flights to exotic airstrips, you will want to look at the strips and routes on a map, and the charts are virtually impossible to get if you are not in PNG.
I have wished for years I had the local charts and WAC's for this reason (hey, whilst you are there make some cash - get some extra charts/WAC's and sell them to me and others who like me want them!

Enjoy the trip. it is an unforgettable place.

John

Neo-Flite
1st Sep 2012, 06:56
"Go to the Aero Club in Port Moresby..."

I've been reading the PNG threads and I figure I need a Warrior or a Warthog and a squadron of SAS troops just to beat off the rascals as I get out of the hotel courtyard! I'm assuming I have to do this in daylight or follow Chimbu's lead (based on his posts) and go (a) mob-handed and (b) armed to the teeth! Not sure immigration will let me haul that kind of firepower into the country!

Seriously, though, if you have an address for the Aero club, or a contact there, or similar for Air Sanga, I would love to get it from you. John or anyone, if I can lay my hands on charts or whatever, I'd be more than happy to send them to you for your assistance in this. I'll be flying in and out through Brisbane I think, so plenty of opportunity to mail them to you.

If I can make some affirmative contacts before I leave I will pack my Contour vidcam with me and hopefully get some decent video as well.

Jaba, check your messages - I've sent you my email address.

Still reading through the threads, guys. You have some great memories shared there. Best of times and worst of times, it seems, and unlikely to be repeated by anyone, anywhere. Thanks for sharing them. And you really ought to write a book!

Best

Neo

bentleg
1st Sep 2012, 09:45
For MAF this link (http://www.maf.org.au/pilot)might be useful

Lapunkapten
3rd Sep 2012, 10:14
"Something tells me were not in Kansas anymore, Toto"

The smaller companies like Air Sanga may be able to give you a ride.

Killer Loop
3rd Sep 2012, 11:39
"Something tells me were not in Kansas anymore, Toto"

That reminds of a story about JC out in Tabubil on the Otter. Flying around south of Tabubil and he said, "so where are we shags?" The new FO replied, "I'm not sure, where are we?" JC replied, "I don't know shags but I know I haven't been this far into Indonesia before!"

I guess the first point of contact at the Aero Club would be the owner Phil Marshall, a pretty experienced pilot who obviously knows everybody imbibing in those salubrious surroundings. He will be able to point you in the right direction.