PDA

View Full Version : BBA Degree vs. Cadetships and (Part-Time) Airline Jobs

Hayleigh
29th Aug 2012, 09:57
Morning!

In a few years time I'll have my Bachelors Degree in Business Administration (and most likely a masters degree in International Relations / International Business Management). I might even decide to get my masters degree abroad, this way I can do an aviation related master.

I've decided to go to University in order to improve my chances for a sponsorship (I for example, currently don't qualify for the BA FPP) and I've chosen the English taught BBA, which is full of foreign students who come to study in my country etc, in order to improve my language skills and many more. All assets which might be beneficial in my future career as an airline pilot.

I was wondering if having a BBA and eventually a masters degree will be of any help, and will having a business administration degree eventually help me to achieve more than being an airline pilot within the company?

redsnail
29th Aug 2012, 10:39
Hi Hayleigh, pretty impressive but do you want to be a pilot or a manager?

Which country do you live in?

English is the main language but if you want to work for one of the many European carriers, French, German and Spanish are useful languages.

Are these degrees free? Personally, I would suggest getting a job rather than adding more academic qualifications.

Can you pass the Class 1 medical?

Hayleigh
29th Aug 2012, 12:03
Hi Redsnail,

I'm Belgian and my main goal is to become an airline pilot. Tuition fee is approx €500 a year, which is reduced to approx €200 depending on your parents income and various other factors.

I'm mostly interested in the British Airways Scheme, it's my favourite airline and in my honest opinion, provides the best scheme available. Also in terms of career development, it is an airline in which you can stay for the rest of your life. Lots of possibilities in terms of fleet, destinations, etc...

With my current high school degree I am nowhere near the qualifications required. It's also been a bumpy ride, I dropped out during my first year of my previous Uni study because it wasn't really what I expected. Dropping out again would mean I have lots to explain when applying for a sponsorship. (and blowing my chance for the BA one)

Therefor I'd like to finish my Business Administration studies, if I don't succeed on securing a spot on a sponsorship, I'd still have a bright future ahead in one of the big four accounting firms, at an investment bank and many other companies.

I'll have to refer to the BA scheme again: seeing as it has no age limit, I could always get a job in my current field of study in case the scheme is no longer running, gaining lots of important personal skills, life experience etc.. Giving me some extra benefits in case it would re-open.

As for having the degree as an airline pilot; I was just wondering if its possible to have a 'second job' within the company. For example being part of the long haul fleet, and during your non-flying days doing something else. But the main focus of my degree is to make sure I will have a decent future ahead incase I don't become a pilot (and to give me a better shot at sponsorships ofc)

Hayleigh
1st Sep 2012, 19:34
I'm also taking German during the course to have a shot at the lufthansa scheme. I might even study a semester, or perhaps a whole year in Germany to improve these skills

redsnail
1st Sep 2012, 19:52
Whilst the German language is very useful, they run what I think is the DLR? It's the aptitude test and it's pretty much a deal breaker if you don't pass it.
I'd do some investigation about it.

While academic abilities is great, real life experience is worth it. So, I would pause when you can and get a job for a year or so before diving back into academic world.

Hayleigh
2nd Sep 2012, 11:56
I am infact planning to get at least one year of work experience, however the plan is to do so after graduating. With my degree I can easily work for one of the big four audit firms, such as Ernst & Young. I figure experience in such a firm, would be more beneficial than having worked at the local grocery store prior to any academic qualifications