PDA

View Full Version : Royal Air Force Base visits - General enquiry.

NDW
27th Aug 2012, 21:40
Evening all,

I do hope the thread title does not come across as 'snotty' in anyway as it certainly was not intended to. :\

Before I start though, I am not expecting to be spoon fed in any shape or form.

For any RAF wannabe's or indeed current RAF serving personnel, do any of you know what is the current situation with RAF Base visits.

I've been in contact with a few bases (I fully appreciate that due to operational requirements, these requests are not always viable), I was just wondering if bases (can) still hold these visits or are they slowly becoming rarer due to operational demands?

As said, please do not see this as wanting to be spoonfed, purely a general enquiry.

Best regards and thanks for your time.

essexlad
27th Aug 2012, 21:53
If you have a friend who works on camp then he can sign you on as a visitor. Work experience wise or anything to do with wanting to get a look in about what goes on in a day to environment i would reccomend going through your AFCO

TurningFinals
28th Aug 2012, 01:58
Seconded. AFCO's can arrange base visits, I was never offered one, but i think if you ask for one they'll try and get you one. Before i joined one of my mates was already in so i got him to sign me on and he managed to arrange visits to all of sections i could be working in. It was great, gave me loads of 'ammo' for the filter interview.

Good luck! :ok:

Janda
28th Aug 2012, 09:42
I was on holiday in the UK recently and I requested a visit to Spadeadam. The request was made 4 months ahead of my visit and was flexible on dates and times. I had worked there during the late 80's as the EWO. After an initial holding response I got no further communications from the unit despite several polite emails from self. Hopefully, they will not treat potential recruits the same way. Or perhaps it is the way that people are treated by the RAF nowadys!!

Whopity
28th Aug 2012, 15:26
Most people don't realise how many requests there are for Station visits consequently, they have to be co-ordinated which involves allocating some order of priority. Many years ago whilst training, I was sent to a Command HQ and worked in an office that did nothing but arrange station visits. It tied up a Sqn Ldr, a Flt Lt and me as a Plt Off. With well under half the number of stations the task must now be even greater. In 1993 when I was responsible for arranging visits to my Squadron, the requests exceed 365 a year. If you are not high up on the priority list your chances are small unless you can join a group that has a higher priority.