PDA

View Full Version : Radio License

Patza
27th Aug 2012, 18:54
Hi

This is with regards to the Radio License ("General radiotelephone operatorīs certificate of aeronautical mobile service") that a Pilot would need for VFR flying.

I'm currently based out in Czech Republic and found out that it is not possible to answer the written exam in English there for Radio License. So, does anyone have any idea how to go about and if I can do this somewhere in Austria ? What is the actual process in getting this license ? Do I have to attend some training at FTO or can I study on my own and give the exam ?

Appreciate your help on this. Many thanks.

Cheers,
Patza

Jan Olieslagers
27th Aug 2012, 19:00
For as little as it is worth, here's how things look like in my country:

-) for licences at European level (PPL, CPL, and everything above) the radio exam is covered by the pilot's license exam. So if you carry a JAR/JAA PPL or whatever, this automatically entitles you to operate (registered and certified) radio equipment.

-) for the national licences like ULM, balloon, glider, and probably more in some countries, the radio exam is a separate thing, to be taken at the national level by the candidate's national authority. What languages they accept is theirs to decide - here in Belgium I did all of the radio exam in English, including the informal small talk before and after.

Steve6443
27th Aug 2012, 19:10
For as little as it is worth, here's how things look like in my country:

-) for licences at European level (PPL, CPL, and everything above) the radio exam is covered by the pilot's license exam. So if you carry a JAR/JAA PPL or whatever, this automatically entitles you to operate (registered and certified) radio equipment.

-) for the national licences like ULM, balloon, glider, and probably more in some countries, the radio exam is a separate thing, to be taken at the national level by the candidate's national authority. What languages they accept is theirs to decide - here in Belgium I did all of the radio exam in English, including the informal small talk before and after.

Here in Germany the Radio Licence is a separate exam which is part of the PPL syllabus, whether for microlights, gliders or powered aircraft. First things first, there are different levels - BZF 1, BZF 2 and AZF - the first two differ in the language (BZF2 is German, BZF1 is english), the AZF is for advanced flying (commercial, for example). You *have* to do the national language - ie German and then you can take the english language version, I was informed that, even though I am a native english speaker, it is NOT possible to go straight for the BZF 1 and ignore the BZF2 because I would be flying in Germany and might be required to approach an airfield where the published language is German hence BZF 2 was mandatory......

Whopity
27th Aug 2012, 19:48
Radio licensing varies from one country to another. In the UK there is a network of radio examiners (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_ltsFRTOL%20Examiners%20List%20V6_July2012.pdf) who conduct the licence examinations, some also offer training.

The UK issue the Flight Radiotelephone (Restricted) licence as defined by the ITU; that is all that a pilot needs. The Flight Radiotelephone (General) licence was for professional radio operators and has not been issued here for about 40 years. The licence is the same for all aircraft and there is no differentiation between flight rules. If a UK FRTOL in English is acceptable to your licensing authority, then contact one of the examiners listed.

Whopity
27th Aug 2012, 20:07
as you would not have a licence to which it could be attachedIt can't be attached to any licence, it is a stand alone National licence. Its validity is confined to UK registered aircraft unless accepted by another administration. Quite a few have accepted it in the past.

Patza
28th Aug 2012, 11:50
Thank you all for the info/ suggestions.

I have got in touch with one of the examiner in the UK and It should be possible to answer it there.

Cheers
Patza