PDA

View Full Version : Would you have continued the Takeoff?

SpeedHumpCat
27th Aug 2012, 13:56
Just out of curiosity from you experts, would you have continued the takeoff?

Delta MD-88 Skidding on Takeoff - YouTube

JustJoinedToSearch
27th Aug 2012, 15:23
Should probably have his 'airplane' impounded for 30 days.:E

Flingwing47
27th Aug 2012, 21:22
Hmmmm, having flown the type (MD90) for 5k+ thats not really a fast/ hard turn - I reckon there was some dust on the runway, maybe from repair work. FWIW.
Happy landings :)

By George
27th Aug 2012, 22:15
If you look at the nose wheel he is powering up before the nose wheel is aligned. My last company SOPs was to align first then take the hand completely off the tiller and power up. There is also a chance he had a problem with the tiller.

He has done the right thing, power off, get it straight and sorted and go. No problem if the runway is not limited or critical with ASDA or 2nd seg. etc etc.

Flingwing47
27th Aug 2012, 23:32
On a rolling takeoff, passing through 30deg from runway heading it was the accepted procedure to move the thrust levers to the vertical position.
After checking correct runway heading when lined up, select A/T "ON" and monitor that the required takeoff EPR is applied.

May the number of your landings equal the number of your takeoffs !! :)

Lookleft
28th Aug 2012, 00:17
If you look at the skid marks at most thresholds at capital city airports it happens quite a lot. One problem can be the use of asymmetric thrust to turn the corner then applying take-off thrust before both thrust settings have stabilised. The ATSB had a good report on a Pac Blue 737 that departed the runway in Sydney several years ago for that very reason. He tried to steer it back onto the centreline instead of closing the thrust levers. It probably looked like that MD-88 in the video.

Flingwing47
28th Aug 2012, 00:33
luckily the MD90 series was the easiest to fly..buxxer all assy effect !! and fully digital DFGC/FMS
a little sports car with 28000lbs of thrust per side, MTOW 72K kgs

and they paid me to do it !!

but alas no more......:sad:

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Aug 2012, 02:28
You would think that having skidded in the turn for the first take-off, he would have been more careful with the second, wouldn't you! :E:E:E

Dr :8

bubble.head
28th Aug 2012, 03:08
I would not use "skidding" to describe what happened. It looks to me the crew applied too much power while the nose wheel still had a large steering angle and the aircraft understeered. When s/he closed the throttle and the force is removed, the nose wheel tyre regain grip and aircraft went where the nose was pointing.

From the video, he didn't loose too much runway distance. So I can't see a fault in what he did but he'll have to explain where the bold spot on the tyres came from!

VH-XXX
28th Aug 2012, 04:42
Haven't we all done that in our rush to either get on or off the runway ? :cool:

My favourite is delaying touchdown until half way down the 1,500 metre runway to save on tyres but then smoking the brakes to stop in time.

Up-into-the-air
28th Aug 2012, 05:16
Would that be in the casa procedures manual???

aroa
28th Aug 2012, 05:57
If its in your procedures manual you better not ignore it.!

If its in a CASA procedures manual, it just depends whether who wants to apply what to whom.
Since CASA has no oversighting or accountability, who's to care.? :mad:
Anthing goes with that lot. :mad:

nitpicker330
28th Aug 2012, 06:50
Does the MD 80 have Autothrottle? Maybe he hit the button a little early ( or the FO did ) while still turning? It's been done before many times...:=

Looks as if he should have waited a little longer to get it pointing down the runway before advancing to T/O Thrust.

If Delta allow the FO the set thrust then I'd say this is what happened.

New FO perhaps? Training?

HF3000
28th Aug 2012, 15:51
Definitely the F/O. No Captain would do that.

Howard Hughes
28th Aug 2012, 23:30
By the deck angle after take off it was empty!:eek:

Checkboard
29th Aug 2012, 08:05
... which would make it very light on the nose wheel and easy to skid.