PDA

View Full Version : Runway available

elford152
27th Aug 2012, 06:03
I was flying in the circuit the other day and kept hearing the AFISO saying to aircraft calling finals 'G-CD, runway available 16, surface wind...'. Is 'runway available' an official radio call? I found it pretty confusing because it sounded like he was giving information to someone who was asking for a runway other than the one in use (for a crosswind landing or something like that). What he meant to say was 'land at your discretion'. I just wondered if 'runway available' is an official call.

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Aug 2012, 09:07
I've had ATC tell me "runway xx [which is more into wind] is available" but that's on joining the circuit or after a go-around (which ATC thought might have been because I couldn't cope with the crosswind). I wouldn't expect anyone to confuse a pilot on final approach with calls like that.

Whopity
27th Aug 2012, 11:37
Did you not understand what the FISO was saying? There does not have to be an official call for everything, especially with regard to information, plain language should suffice.

Incidentally, if you want to be pedantic, AFISO is incorrect (that changed to FISO about 9 years ago) and FINAL does not have an S on the end!

Talkdownman
27th Aug 2012, 12:59
if you want to be pedantic, AFISO is incorrect (that changed to FISO about 9 years ago)
It looks like it could revert to AFISO (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2277/20120222CAP797FISOManualConsultationDocument.pdf) soon, if not already...

Crash one
27th Aug 2012, 13:19
Incidentally, if you want to be pedantic, AFISO is incorrect (that changed to FISO about 9 years ago) and FINAL does not have an S on the end!

Pedantic mode on.
The OP didn't seem pedantic to me, The radio call "Runway available XX" is not normal practice if used repeatedly to numerous traffic, replacing "Runway in use"??? And the FINAL / FINALS argument continues, What about "I am carrying out my final preparations (plural) for landing? Hence Finals.
Mode off.
Anyway what's wrong with "Active runway XX" we used in the Mil years ago & I don't remember anyone landing on the wrong one?

tmmorris
27th Aug 2012, 14:50
I think it is a bit confusing, better to use

'runway in use' = what everyone else is using, please use that one

'runway available' = if you as the captain think that's safer, then feel free, it's not obstructed or unserviceable

I did once as a newish PPL pluck up the courage to ask Oxford for a different runway (29 I think it was in preference to 01) due to crosswind and they couldn't have been more helpful, despite it being a bit of a pain to coordinate.

Tim

GeeWhizz
27th Aug 2012, 14:51
Ah so that's where the 's' came from. Seriously never knew as I always understood it as "I'm making my final approach" hence 'final' without the 's'. Every day's a school day :)

As for the(A)FISO RT, it shouldn't be confusing to hear plain English waffling. But I'd be expecting to hear "... land at your discretion" (which we all do anyway; FISO, Radio or full ATC).

lenhamlad
27th Aug 2012, 15:00
As for the(A)FISO RT, it shouldn't be confusing to hear plain English waffling. But I'd be expecting to hear "... land at your discretion" (which we all do anyway; FISO, Radio or full ATC).

Not at my field which is A/G will you hear that.

Pace
27th Aug 2012, 15:15
Runway available is usually as an offer to use another runway other than the official runway in use.
You maybe on final for runway 36 and on the ILS and be told that a breakoff for 030 is available.
If you are on final with a strong crosswind you maybe told that runway 03 is available ! Usually a phrase to suggest an alterative to a designated runway

Pace

Immortal
27th Aug 2012, 19:31
I've heard a couple of times something like this:
"G-CD turning final runway 23"
"G-CD wind 240 degrees 10 knots, runway 23 vacated"

Whopity
27th Aug 2012, 20:03
It looks like it could revert to AFISO soon, if not already...Or perhaps the author doesn't know it was changed some years ago. This new CAP mixes both terms with no explanation of the difference between the them, if there is a difference! The term AFISO was dropped because not all FISOs were at aerodromes and there was only one FISO qualification.

Sir George Cayley
27th Aug 2012, 21:41
Oh the joy of not having a radio. :ok:

And you get a lovely light and firework display to mark your arrival too;)

SGC