PDA

View Full Version : RAAF to get Growlers

BBadanov
24th Aug 2012, 05:59
Announced yesterday, 12 of the RAAF's F/A-18F Super Hornets are to be upgraded to EA-18G Growlers.

These 12 aircraft were modified with the Growler wiring looms while on the production line in 2010 in anticipation of upgrading to this capability. The IOC of 2018 is probably that late to ensure delivery of some strike JSFs.

Quote from msn:
RAAF chief Air Marshal Geoff Brown says it will probably represent the biggest strategic increase in Australian Defence Force (ADF) capability since the arrival of the F-111 strike bomber.

Under a deal worth $1.5 billion, Australia will equip 12 of the RAAF's Super Hornets, with initial operating capability to be achieved around 2018.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith says Growler is important even in the current tough budget situation.

"It provides a capacity to jam the communications system of an adversary, whether that adversary is a nation state or a non-state or ... a group of terrorists. This is a very important acquisition," he said.

Air Marshal Brown says Growler is a very profound addition to ADF.

"It has a role in a wide variety and spectrum of ADF operations and significantly decreases the risk to all land sea and air operations," he said.

"In my view it's probably the biggest strategic increase in the ADF's capability since we ordered the F-111."

pohm1
24th Aug 2012, 06:09
Isn't 'Growler' rather a coarse word for 'Cu**?' ;)

P1

tartare
24th Aug 2012, 10:41
My thoughts exactly.
Highly amusing choice of name by Spam cousins.
The EA18G V^gina...
Much sniggering going on across Australia.

E-Spy
24th Aug 2012, 11:27
The Americans snigger at the name too - I have been told that, in US parlance, a Growler is something akin to a nasty experience on the throne, the day after a large vindaloo.....

ColdCollation
24th Aug 2012, 12:07
No worse than Raptor.

Now 'Lightning' I quite like even if there's a 'II' stuck on the end...:)

air pig
24th Aug 2012, 14:46
Growler. another name for a meat pie up north:ok:

Shack37
24th Aug 2012, 14:56
Anyone of a certain vintage will be absolutely gasted by the flabber that the term Growler should be used in reference to anything other than the Shackleton (AVRO pedigree)