PDA

View Full Version : Cadet Pilot Selection

Confidentbeliever
23rd Aug 2012, 23:04
Hey people, I'm currently 18 and will be sitting for A levels in Singapore. I'm really an aviation enthusiast but I'm somehow clueless about the way to join airline as a cadet pilot and how are we selected(based on what criteria)? Also I'm a female and I'm
Aware that SIA doesn't recruit female pilot, I'm looking at airline such as Cathay and Lufthansa :) I'm an average of 159 cm and really worried for the functional reach test too. Can anyone give me some comment :(?

Cpt. Underpants
24th Aug 2012, 04:04
Being 5'3" is not a problem on most modern flight decks. I'm curious about the "average" though...do you shrink when it rains?

CX will not be interested or even entertain an application from you unless you're a HKG PERMANENT ID holder, or if you already have substantial flying experience.

I can't speak for LH though, I've no idea what their selection criteria are, but I'd imagine that actually being a German national is probably one of them.

If you have no money and no experience, you probably stand a snowballs hope in hades of getting onto a cadet program of another countries national carrier.

Your options are basically twofold:

Join the national air force and have them train you, or self-sponsor. The second option needs about USD 100,000 to buy the minimum level of experience to start as professional pilot at the lowest level...

Best of luck.

Confidentbeliever
24th Aug 2012, 05:22
Hmm.. But I've read on the Cathay website that the recruitment is open for all nationalities?

btw I laughed at the shrinking thing I mean I'm not too tall and not exceptionally short either :)

Are you from Singapore too?

Cpt. Underpants
25th Aug 2012, 01:30
Hi again. The CX website is hopelessly out of date. The HKG immigration department stopped CX from recruiting foreigners without experience (short story) and since then you need to have - at the very least - a commercial pilots licence to get a look in if you're not a HKG permanent ID holder.

No, I'm not a Singaporean, but a long-time gweilo flying for CX.